Rumor of visa free travel to USA jams passport offices

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
You got to hand it to propochardo, he's worth every peso .....
Oh...and there is going to be a toll free bridge to the USA too ;)

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Today I went with my wife to renew her expiring passport. She has a 10 year visitor's visa to the US, so it actually makes sense for her to have a passport.

When we got to the Puerto Plata office, it was packed with people. It took all day to get the passport renewal process started. People were coming from Santiago at 4 AM and waiting for the office to open.
The office in Santiago is reportedly overwhelmed, so they travelled to Puerto Plata. What was going on?

We found out why. PICHARDO posted a story about someone asking nicely to the US Government to allow Dominicans to travel to the US visa free. PICHARDO posted it as if it were a fact that this would actually happen. Somehow word got out to the Dominicans and they are all now rushing to passport office to take advantage of this. With one problem. Visa free travel for Dominicans to the US is about as likely has the proverbial freezing over of hell. It is not going to happen just because someone asks nice for it.
Yet the result is a rush for Dominicans to get passports. I don't care how nicely you ask for this, the answer is NO! Can you spell gullible?

well i actually wasnt going to ask the embassy....but i was going to ask friends to help w/ a friend...they told me no problem but i know it is a big favor...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
No data, nor a link to data....more Pichardoisms.

You are persistent/insistent though.

Long live 28:1, smartguns, e-currency, pesos oro, laptops in every school.....and on....and on...and on.

I will take a pass, on face value, on this one too.

Enjoy your evening.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

No problem. Yet:

Laptops in every school? Have you gone to schools lately???

Smart-guns? I clearly described the phase by phase manner it would take place and hasn't each step been happening to the end goal?

28:1? Have you noticed that all other currencies have depreciated by leap and bounds in the region and yet the Pesos barely moved?

E-currency? 99% of the state transactions are carried out via electronic payments and transfers. The collection of taxes is also 95% via electronic means. Supermarkets and large chains also have understood that compliance is easier when the bulk of your transactions is made of debit and credit sales and are moving fast to affiliate their clients with their own co-branded cards.
The list grows by the day and now there are 5 mobile pay system active 100% in the DR being adopted in large numbers by the two per population cell smart cell phone and personal devices. Phase by phase!

Pesos Oro? Please DO shut me up and post the NEW monetary Law of the DR that replaced the current and since Trujillo times one, Pesos Oro/convertibles and all. Please, pretty please with sugar ontop.

And on and on...

The thing is that you want things today, and I pretty clear described each event as unfolding and phase by phase on details.

Like the Cedula (which I posted about over a year and a half before with details aplenty.

Like the changes to immigration and Laws regarding residency, posted over a year before.

It takes time to carry out, you know! But it's ok!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Smart guns ?

LMAO
i think i just realized you sir are are another one of them Fabricators..
who googles stuff and cuts and pastes.

good luck to you, dont bother responding to my earlier question.

Feb 7, 2007
Well, PICHARDO, while you are correct that the currencies of other countries in the region such as Venezuela and Colombia depreciated, what you failed to say is that it was/is because of OIL. Yes, OIL is the culprit of those currencies depreciating. You seem to have some economic education so I probably I do not have to explain you why they depreciated, but in case you would not know, you can google it. DR has no oil, so no serious depreciation a-la Colombia or Venezuela.

Jan 9, 2004
No problem. Yet:

Laptops in every school? Have you gone to schools lately???

Yes, and all of the public schools I have visited do not have laptops.....they do not even have enough books/resources/supplies to accommodate the students....let alone your pie in the sky statement of a few years ago....along with that wonderful photo op of a small group holding laptops.........along with your many many photos of all those new schools....that were even exposed by the President as being shells....unfinished and unequipped.

Smart-guns? I clearly described the phase by phase manner it would take place and hasn't each step been happening to the end goal?

Actually Pichardo you really never did describe anything clearly involving smartguns....or many of the other pie-in-the-sky statements...see below;

28:1? Have you noticed that all other currencies have depreciated by leap and bounds in the region and yet the Pesos barely moved?

Two points here. The first is your deflection to other currencies. We are talking about the peso, not the Bolivar, etc.

That having been said, you have told us over and over the peso would be 28:1 and multiple people on here told you why it would not, could not go to 28:1.

As the multiple charts posted in another thread show, the peso has, over the years, gone from 1:1 against the dollar, to its approximate present day value 45.5:1. Any attempt to manipulate it to 28:1 today would crush the economy.....killing tourism, exports, and remittance values.

E-currency? 99% of the state transactions are carried out via electronic payments and transfers. The collection of taxes is also 95% via electronic means. Supermarkets and large chains also have understood that compliance is easier when the bulk of your transactions is made of debit and credit sales and are moving fast to affiliate their clients with their own co-branded cards.
The list grows by the day and now there are 5 mobile pay system active 100% in the DR being adopted in large numbers by the two per population cell smart cell phone and personal devices. Phase by phase!

You are describing electronic payments not e-currency. E-payments are nothing more than moving paper currency held in banks...from one place to another.

Full e-currency conversion would be.....no more paper money, nada, zilch.....and that is not and will not happen in first world countries for a long time.....and even longer for emerging market economies like the DR.
Pesos Oro? Please DO shut me up and post the NEW monetary Law of the DR that replaced the current and since Trujillo times one, Pesos Oro/convertibles and all. Please, pretty please with sugar ontop.

It has been well established in our prior discussions in the debate thread, that while the peso may have been printed as pesos oro via the monetary law......they were not, and are not re-deemable in gold. Even the government recognized the folly and dropped "pesos oro" from being printed on the bills....as the monetary law never stated they were re-deemable in gold.

And on and on...

Yes, and on and on and on....there are more...lots more...I have kept the list purposely short.

The thing is that you want things today, and I pretty clear described each event as unfolding and phase by phase on details.

Actually, you did not clearly "described each event as unfolding and phase by phase on details." Your posts in years gone by alluded to imminent, soon......and it has been years and years and years.....and none of the above has taken place....nor is it imminent.

And I respect your right to dream, to wish......just do not expect everyone to buy what you are selling.

I am just happy if they can keep the lights on 24 hours in a row.....

Now that's real progress.

Finally, I take it you won't be providing those mystical visa figures you have alluded too.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Renewing 10 year US visitor's visas was happening for people who did not violate them well before any of this pie in the sky discussion about visa free travel to the EU or USA.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Yes, and all of the public schools I have visited do not have laptops.....they do not even have enough books/resources/supplies to accommodate the students....let alone your pie in the sky statement of a few years ago....along with that wonderful photo op of a small group holding laptops.........along with your many many photos of all those new schools....that were even exposed by the President as being shells....unfinished and unequipped.

Actually Pichardo you really never did describe anything clearly involving smartguns....or many of the other pie-in-the-sky statements...see below;

Two points here. The first is your deflection to other currencies. We are talking about the peso, not the Bolivar, etc.

That having been said, you have told us over and over the peso would be 28:1 and multiple people on here told you why it would not, could not go to 28:1.

As the multiple charts posted in another thread show, the peso has, over the years, gone from 1:1 against the dollar, to its approximate present day value 45.5:1. Any attempt to manipulate it to 28:1 today would crush the economy.....killing tourism, exports, and remittance values.

You are describing electronic payments not e-currency. E-payments are nothing more than moving paper currency held in banks...from one place to another.

Full e-currency conversion would be.....no more paper money, nada, zilch.....and that is not and will not happen in first world countries for a long time.....and even longer for emerging market economies like the DR.

It has been well established in our prior discussions in the debate thread, that while the peso may have been printed as pesos oro via the monetary law......they were not, and are not re-deemable in gold. Even the government recognized the folly and dropped "pesos oro" from being printed on the bills....as the monetary law never stated they were re-deemable in gold.

Yes, and on and on and on....there are more...lots more...I have kept the list purposely short.

Actually, you did not clearly "described each event as unfolding and phase by phase on details." Your posts in years gone by alluded to imminent, soon......and it has been years and years and years.....and none of the above has taken place....nor is it imminent.

And I respect your right to dream, to wish......just do not expect everyone to buy what you are selling.

I am just happy if they can keep the lights on 24 hours in a row.....

Now that's real progress.

Finally, I take it you won't be providing those mystical visa figures you have alluded too.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Suuuuuuuuure!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The 10 year visas were 1% of visa holders. It was reserved for B2 mostly. Some gov, diplomat's family members, etc...

The new policy is automatically renewing the multiple entry visas on B1/B2 to 10 years.

My wife has a 10 year visa and so did my step daughter.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My spouses family has had 10 yr visas for a very long time.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i was at immigration office on malecon in santo domingo and I was shocked to see huge passport lines for dominicans, leading all the way outside onto the side walk. that was around 8am in the morning.