Rumor on opening a new bank account

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
At least there is one use for the new Passport stamp that shows the last valid date of your stay in the DR.

Are there more uses? Only time will tell.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm still waiting for the odd idiot to suggest....

Just slide a few pesos across the counter..Problem over.

Seriously, there seems to be a focus on legitimacy these days....
Something all visitors should keep in mind....

Sliding by - like the old days - seems to be a memory

A brave new world awaits...........perhaps.....
in the country of the unknown

Some posters here seem to be living in some kind of time warp - others think they're in Kansas.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You get in a serious traffic accident and it shows your both in the country and driving illegally(?).

Oh come on now, that happens all the time and the insurance company gladly pays up in these situations.

So far.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Oh come on now, that happens all the time and the insurance company gladly pays up in these situations.

So far.

I disagree. Serious accidents do not happen here all the time involving tourists and I'm not talking about whether or not the insurance company will pay(my insurance agent said they would), and I'm talking about a serious car accident where you kill or seriously injure somebody. If you're here illegally and driving illegally - I wouldn't want to be you.

Insurance companies say they will pay, and for fender benders I'm sure they do, but until I hear of some company paying out a million peso plus liabiity claim - I'm not going to believe it.

I disagree. Serious accidents do not happen here all the time involving tourists and I'm not talking about whether or not the insurance company will pay(my insurance agent said they would), and I'm talking about a serious car accident where you kill or seriously injure somebody. If you're here illegally and driving illegally - I wouldn't want to be you.

Insurance companies say they will pay, and for fender benders I'm sure they do, but until I hear of some company paying out a million peso plus liabiity claim - I'm not going to believe it.

Tranquillo it’s not as scary as you think.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Tranquillo it’s not as scary as you think.

Do you know of anyone who's overstayed their tourist card and been in a really serious accident?

I'm muy tranquillo. I'm a resident with a Dominican drivers license with plenty of liability coverage.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Didn't EVEN read any posts. Just had to weigh in on any DR-1 thread that has the word "rumour" in it. So juicy.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
the beaches are beautiful here folks try spending some time there instead of on your computer stirring the pot with BS

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
the beaches are beautiful here folks try spending some time there instead of on your computer stirring the pot with BS

It has been confirmed that someone not legally in the country can no longer open a bank account.

No BS there. Confirming this was my intention in starting this thread.

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It has been confirmed that someone not legally in the country can no longer open a bank account.

No BS there.

I would like very much to hear from you exactly how that was confirmed. And I am not interested in one incident at one branch of one bank.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would like very much to hear from you exactly how that was confirmed. And I am not interested in one incident at one branch of one bank.

It's good enough for me. If you desire more, have at it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have no problem, been a citizen longer than anyone on this board. (Good for you. What an assumption. I suspect there are people born in the DR on this board who might dispute that.) But spreading propaganda around does bother me.

Then refute it with proof. If it bothers you enough to do so.

I first heard about this on another forum.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Then refute it with proof. If it bothers you enough to do so.

Proof of what? You come up with your own theory based on one incident? People here are opening up bank accounts all the time and no one asks how long they are here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Proof of what? You come up with your own theory based on one incident? People here are opening up bank accounts all the time and no one asks how long they are here.

I mentioned I first heard about this on another forum. Then people on this forum stated they have heard about this from more than one source. That works for me.

You want more? That is up to you. After all you have been a citizen longer than anyone else on this board. Which I doubt.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I mentioned I first heard about this on another forum. Then people on this forum stated they have heard about this from more than one source. That works for me.

You want more? That is up to you. After all you have been a citizen longer than anyone else on this board. Which I doubt.

Well I have been a citizen since 2004, actually one person is longer than me. AlaininDR.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
My friend just opened a account up at banresvas and all he need was his passport.

That comment is pretty meaningless without stating his immigration status before he opened the account.

I serioulsy doubt that all he needed was a passport. Every other bank here that I know of requires at least statement of good standing from your bank outside outside the DR.