Rumor on opening a new bank account

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know people who were 2 year overstayers and were refused to open account at all major banks (BHD, Popular, Banreservas etc.). That was in Santo Domingo. They were expressly told on several occasions to come back when they had a fresh entry stamp in their passports and were suggested to leave and reenter to accomplish that. They are of Latin American origin.

Finally they were able to open Peso only account (no USD account) at one of the Asociación de Ahorros.

Myself (EU origin), when I opened account at Popular 2 months ago, they wanted proof of immigration status (residency card copy and valid cédula... Interestingly enough, in Popular unless you are DR citizen , you need to use passport even if you she been legal resident for 20 years) + sh*#&load of paperwork even though I bank at 3 other major DR banks already.

I don't think this will be enough to convince SKY.

He will probably insist that there must be evidence of collusion somewhere!! Oops, sorry that is for the US politics thread.

Add that to another forum that also stated exactly the same things as you did rubio_higuey and I am convinced that banks are indeed looking at being in the country legally. That dated passport stamp has at least one use.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I was in Banco Santa Cruz today so I asked for a copy of their requirements to open an account there:

Bank reference letter
Personal reference
Bank statements for 3 months
Original passport and any other second ID.

At BSC, they have no problem with a tourist opening a bank account as long as he/she hasn't been in the country for more than 180 days. After that time period in the country, you must be a resident to open an account with them.

igx6w4.jpg

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Is it worth it? Right now, I'm just Western Unioning/Moneygraming $ to myself when I need cash. I have a $5000 or $6000 monthly limit on each account. I will never need that much money a month here or even half of that.

Hearing all the BS that is needed to open an account and then risking it being frozen if you get a new passport or the wind blows from the southwest, it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Check my previous post - not that difficult at all at Banco Santa Cruz. Open one now before it does get more difficult, because, believe me, it will. Don't believe the posters here who think things will never change.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
people let this go.....you are beating this like a red head step child..........go for a walk........go count the sand on the beach

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
people let this go.....you are beating this like a red head step child..........go for a walk........go count the sand on the beach

The OP wanted to know if the rumor he heard was true and others want to know exactly what's required to open a bank account here. Nothing is forcing you to read this thread. Instead, go for a walk - go count sand on the beach. Stop being a troll.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is invaluable for some people

The irony here is -
the longer you stay, the more you might need a bank account.
If you have been here too long... you are SOL

Sep 4, 2012
The OP wanted to know if the rumor he heard was true and others want to know exactly what's required to open a bank account here. Nothing is forcing you to read this thread. Instead, go for a walk - go count sand on the beach. Stop being a troll.

The problem with the banking and any other institutionalized business is that the requirements are not standardized across the institutions, locations and employees.

One branch tell you one thing in a town, move a few blocks over, same bank different branch offers another set of requirements. The same holds true for employees - one tell you what to bring, comeback the next day to the same branch, talk to a different employee and of the sudden - the requirements are now something else.

Never mind the changes in requirement from different banks.

Its a roller coaster depending on branch, bank and employee you might get that day.

It all comedown to lots of patience and the old Clint Eastwood phrase:

Do you feel lucky today?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The problem with the banking and any other institutionalized business is that the requirements are not standardized across the institutions, locations and employees.

One branch tell you one thing in a town, move a few blocks over, same bank different branch offers another set of requirements. The same holds true for employees - one tell you what to bring, comeback the next day to the same branch, talk to a different employee and of the sudden - the requirements are now something else.

Never mind the changes in requirement from different banks.

Its a roller coaster depending on branch, bank and employee you might get that day.

It all comedown to lots of patience and the old Clint Eastwood phrase:

Do you feel lucky today?

The requirements from one bank to another to open an account do vary. That's a given. It's widely known that Banco Popular has the most restringent requirements. Scotia Bank is a close second from what I've heard. The requirements to open an account are set by the main bank - not the branches.

I'm sure it's possible to go to another branch of the same bank and the bank rep is new or maybe just forgets to get one of the required documents to open an account, but I'd say that's the exception - not the rule. I'd be willing to bet that, if I go to the BSC branch in Sosua, I'll get a copy of the exact same requirements that I posted.

The requirements for opening an account at BSC couldn't be much simpler. If I were considering opening an account here, BSC would be the first one I'd go to. BHD used to be fairly simple, too. I'll be there next week and post their requirements.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Last I asked for a friend the BHD requires a passport stamp of no longer than 180 days - same as most other banks.

So bringing back mention of overstay and all that stuff via this backdoor thread seems a bit futile - unless the banks and immigration settled for 6 months tourist allowance and forgot to tell us about it.... lol

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Hahahha....... Sad Life

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Last I asked for a friend the BHD requires a passport stamp of no longer than 180 days - same as most other banks.

So bringing back mention of overstay and all that stuff via this backdoor thread seems a bit futile - unless the banks and immigration settled for 6 months tourist allowance and forgot to tell us about it.... lol

So, your post along with mine just confirms that the rumor the OP heard is not true - there is not a 60 day limit for tourists to open a bank account. It's 180 days.

This affects overstayers very little. Those that have been here more than 180 days and haven't opened a bank account probably don't have any plans to do so. Those that have been can just wait until they return from their next trip to open an account.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
So, your post along with mine just confirms that the rumor the OP heard is not true - there is not a 60 day limit for tourists to open a bank account. It's 180 days.

This affects overstayers very little. Those that have been here more than 180 days and haven't opened a bank account probably don't have any plans to do so. Those that have been can just wait until they return from their next trip to open an account.

My friend let it go......try reading a book

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Black Knight is is a bit of a dinosaur...
still thinking (hoping) that he can buy a drivers' license or bank account or whatever.

That stuff is still possible... but there is MUCH less of it these days.

I had the VIP License treatment several yrs ago.... no mas, no esta posible !!

As for his wacky statement about $1,000 getting you residency.... just try it !!