Safe, Non tourist things in Bavaro/Punta Cana

CosmicMiami

Mar 12, 2013
Have a friend who will be visiting Punta Cana for a vacay next month. Like most Americanos, she will be staying at a resort. I would like to suggest some non-tourist stuff to explore while in the area. She does not speak Spanish. I'm lucky, mi esposa es Dominicana. When we visit it's easy to go off the beaten path a little.

Looking for safe suggestions for an Americana.

Thanks all.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Pretty much anything would be touristy, unless you want to watch TV and go to the supermarket.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Have a friend who will be visiting Punta Cana for a vacay next month. Like most Americanos, she will be staying at a resort. I would like to suggest some non-tourist stuff to explore while in the area. She does not speak Spanish. I'm lucky, mi esposa es Dominicana. When we visit it's easy to go off the beaten path a little.

Thanks all.

wHAT WOULD YOU DEEM NON-TOURIST STUFF.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Thanks all.

If she is going to be by herself I would be careful with suggestions. She may not feel comfortable out and about on her own. She doesn't speak the language or really have a concept of the customs. If she ventures out tell her to sign up for tours with other people. She will see the countryside and be in a comfortable eviron.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Thanks all.

Non tourist things? What is she, a local? Take her to a barrio at night to have some drinks at a colmado. Your question makes no sense mate.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
There are several tours offered. One that I personally know of is PC Mike (I think they are still operating?). Nice way to get to know the area outside of the resort and safe. Maybe someone with more info will post.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Unless the resort is walking distance from areas like Los Corales where there are nice bars and restaurants, albeit still touristy, she will have to take a taxi or bus, not advisable, really.

JTakaMakaveli

Dec 31, 2015
Everything in the area, including excursions, is geared towards tourists. If she wants to go out for a night, she could take a moto taxi to Drink Point. She could also go on an excursion to see some other areas of the country, such as Saona Island, a safari, or a day trip to Santo Domingo.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Safety is relative. Sadly, many tourists have not done enough research nor do they have enough travel experience to make prudent decisions when they travel internationally and venture away from the relatively safety of their resort and the tourist activities that are geared towards entertaining these people and keeping them safe.

Everyday, tourists become victims of petty crime here in the DR and all over the world. Pickpockets are common in Europe and here in the DR, muggings, robberies and even the big one, murder from time to time. The DR being a developing country, with a questionable police force and even more questionable political will to tell the truth, can be a place where it is very easy to get in over your head without some experienced person keeping an eye on you.

You can have a safe "off the beaten path" vacation here. Staying on your resort is also no guarantee of complete safety. Traipsing about the country on your own is best left to those with sufficient travel experience to be considered street smart in a foreign country, a good health insurance policy and fundamentally, the ability to communicate with the locals when things don't go as planned.

A corrupt and potentially dangerous third world country is not the place for the inexperienced to stretch their wings and learn the ropes. Things can go wrong very quickly and getting out of trouble is always much more difficult than it was getting into trouble.

Hope your friend has a good vacation. You know them, I don't, so you have to be the judge of their experience and coping abilities. When asked, I tend not to advise people that they are guaranteed to be safe doing such and such or going to specific places on their own as I have no way to justify that statement other than playing the odds like everyone else.