Safe to travel to Haiti as an American?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just don't go to Haiti

[video=youtube;bv6CIun9_IA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv6CIun9_IA&t=184s[/video]

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Well I'll be damned! @ 15:37 A.T!!!!!!!! Born in Haiti but grew up in Miami. Good friend of mine
down here for many years. He's told me several times if I ever want to travel to that side of the island
he'd take me over there. He's also given me countless reasons why I should avoid the capital.
He and I have had many discussions about how Haiti's problems need to be solved by Haitian people
on Haitian soil. Johnny in the video as well... Absolute Classic.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The good old days of an overweight American in a Hawaiian shirt with a camera around the neck and a cigar in the mouth are dwindling....

Not that you are that.....
But some places aren’t favorable to Americans

In France if I am ever confused with an American, and I correct to Canadian
The apologies are fast and furious

Just saying

Raye

Dec 17, 2018
Is it currently safe in 2018/going-on 2019 for an American to travel to Haiti? Is it at least safe to visit Port au Prince? I am an Asian American who can speak minimal French.[/Q I have been in Haiti so many times I cannot count them over the past 15 years, I actually lived in Haiti for a couple of years full time in the Port au Prince area and I am living in Haiti now and I have been to most places on this island. It is not a safe place for the average traveler and I don't recommend someone going to Haiti without a mentor the first couple of times you go to help you acclimate to the culture. I love Haiti, but some do not, it is not a place for the faint of heart. I have friends there who have lived there for up to 40 years as Americans and have few problems. It is my opinion that most Haitians are very good people, very passionate about almost everything.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Haitian Advice

You may take out of this what you want. Reports in the media are saying there are less Haitians returning to their homeland from the DR for the holidays. Normally the holiday departures begin early in December, by full bus loads, not this year. It is expected those who do leave will start on or near the 20th. Haitians questioned about this mentioned reasons not to travel is having difficulties at the border combined with violence and unrest in Haiti.

The Haitians are offering advice by their own activities.

Regards,

PJT

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What is the incidence of AIDS (Sida) in Haiti ?

We had a very attractive Haitian here in Cabrera....
even the women talked about her beauty....
She was a highly sought and frequented girl.

Dead before 30....
I wonder how many others are affected (infected) ?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
What is the incidence of AIDS (Sida) in Haiti ?

We had a very attractive Haitian here in Cabrera....
even the women talked about her beauty....
She was a highly sought and frequented girl.
Dead before 30....
I wonder how many others are affected (infected) ?

The key populations most affected by HIV in Haiti are:

Sex workers, with an HIV prevalence of 8.4%.
Gay men and other men who have sex with men, with an HIV prevalence of 18.2%.
Prisoners, with an HIV prevalence of 4.3%.
Since 2010, new HIV infections have decreased by 25% and AIDS-related deaths have decreased by 24%.

Dominican Republic Aids Rate

Adult aged 15 to 49 HIV prevalence rate 0.9 [0.7 - 1.2]
Women aged 15 to 49 HIV prevalence rate 0.8 [0.7 - 1.1]
Men aged 15 to 49 HIV prevalence rate 1.0 [0.7 - 1.3]

(Although among sex workers in the DR the rate is closer to 10% - per Wiki & NGO reports)

both from UNAIDS source

So there is probably an equal chance of being infected by a sex worker from either country.. ..... .....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thread has been cleaned up. There will be no more chica discussion, Sosúa Playa, stick to your other site for that.

StaciaVanderberg

Jan 5, 2019
Things are not much good at Haiti because of no rule of law, or The wealthiest 1% of Haitians own the same wealth as 45 percent of the most impoverished population. There is a new baseline of poverty in Haiti, based on consumption: The national poverty rate is 58.6 percent. I consider that high popularity rate, lack of quality education and failure of the legal institute is making Haiti a failure state. In my opinion, it is much safe to travel there.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Riots and Looting - is it safe? I think not...

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/haiti/article226176555.html

Haiti’s man in Washington, an ambassador with seven years of experience defending his country’s image, has been recalled by his government effective immediately.

At a time when Haiti is facing a deepening economic and political crisis that needs representation before the Trump administration, Paul Altidor received a letter informing him that his services will no longer be needed.

His recall comes as Haiti continues its descent into chaos, marking its seventh consecutive day of protests Wednesday that saw one journalist shot, at least one person injured and opposition lawmakers leading protesters in their demands that the president resign from office.

“We are asking for President Jovenel Moïse to leave,” Sen. Youri Latortue said as he walked the hours-long stretch from the city of Croix-des-Bouquets, along the northeastern edge of the capital, to the Champs de Mars, the public square near downtown Port-au-Prince where the presidential palace sits. “We would never leave the people by themselves, so we are accompanying them in front of the National Palace.”

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just another day in paradise

I don't think it's safe in Haiti for anyone, including Haitians , at this moment in time.

HaitiProtests.JPG

Demonstrators drag the body of a fellow protester toward police, as a form of protest after police shot into the crowd where he died, during a demonstration demanding the resignation of President Jovenel Moise near the presidential palace in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2019. Protesters are angry about skyrocketing inflation and the government’s failure to prosecute embezzlement from a multi-billion Venezuelan program that sent discounted oil to Haiti. (AP Photo/Dieu Nalio Chery)
Dieu Nalio Chery AP

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I've just looked through this discussion and didn't understand why it can be dangerous to visit Haiti?

Just met a single female who was travelling with a group of women in Haiti and the youngest girl at 15 got separated from the group, she knows not how and was raped by three men and became pregnant. The little result is two and quite cute she says.
Derfish