Safest Vehicle for DR

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I like any BIG Honda, or Toyota vehicle.
Honda's cost more to buy, and the parts cost more too.
The Toyota's are therefore my choice, both for initial purchase price, and Especially for parts & repairs.
My friend has had two Hyundai Tucsons, still has one, and likes them a lot.
He just added a ford Explorer and loves THAT.
Possibly cause it's brand new????
I should have become a registered nurse, not an "OR Tech"!!!!!
I was VERY HAPPY when my son had the good sense to marry an "RN"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Depends where you will be driving… If you live in a city, would buy a small car, for instance, the Hyundai i10. A big SUV will be a pain in Santo Domingo, for instance. Parking is a big issue in the city. Likewise, the smaller cars can slip through traffic better.

Fuel is very expensive here, so unless you have unlimited budget, stay away from the big SUVs. What you need is a vehicle that is not low, as when it rains, many streets flood and you have to do some navigating through waters.

So if you have to choose only one, go with a mid-sized SUV, as suggested above.

For those who feel that big is the only way to go…

http://www.autos.com/driving-and-safety/small-car-safety-are-small-cars-less-safe-than-larger-ones
http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/are-smaller-cars-as-safe-as-large-cars.html
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/TSP-List

Small is an option.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My wife & sister-in-law both have Honda cars.
They are TOO LOW!
Hard to get in and out of, and like Dolores said, not good in the flooded streets, you sometimes have to "go Around", and they "Bottom Out" too!
I like "Mini Vans", especially for hauling lots of kids !!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Ok, you guys confuse me. All these years it's been NO FORDS, NO FORDS, NO FORDS and now everyone's suggesting a Ford. My budget is $15,000-$20,000 (would like closer to $15k).
I'll take a look at some mid size SUVs, I REALLY liked a Honda Odyssey I saw but it just seemed low to me but I guess it would seem low of you'd just gotten out of an Armada.

SHALENA

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't buy armada. my neighbour has one and he bought two more small city cars (for him and wife) because that giant is undrivable, both in terms of difficult maneuvering and costs. i guess he did not sell it because he occasionally uses it for longer trips in worse terrain. for 15-20k you will not get one of those big ass cars anyways, unless you want something that is over 10 years old.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Shalena: As most people have said get a mid-size SUV. Fords are not that big of a problem anymore since now they're common in The DR. It used to be they were hard to find parts for. They're much cheaper than Toyotas and Hondas, but if you ever want to sell it won't hold its value as well.

Safety wise size won't matter much if you're on a collision, so what you want is something with lots of airbags (including side airbags). The minivans have it and some of the newer vehicles. With that budget however you'll have to stick to used vehicles.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Prado, Prado or Prado.

Diesel.

If that's too big,

RAV4 or Honda CRV.

More sensitive technically but good:-

Vitara or Forester.

American cars are for America.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
1897787_10152033576078014_196179625_n.jpg

Done! :smoke:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The crash tests do not take into account the size of the vehicle you hit.I Iwas as a paramedic in South Florida for 22 years and always interested in vehicle accidents. When a larger vehicle strikes a smaller one it has been my experience that the bigger car is the winner. I would buy the largest you can avoid without going into one of the giants like an Armada. Those super size vehicle have other problems Related to their size. You can of St the fuel costs by buying a used diesel. For me I like the four wheel drive, 4 door trucks. The 4 wheel gives you another able up front which helps in a front end accident plus the added weight. If you can afford it try and buy a new enough vehicle that you have the side protection airbags. There are lots of vehicles that meet these criteria. I liked the Armada until I drove one and tried to park it. And it got 10 mpg. Just my thoughts and opinions. Here I would not drive a motorcycle or a small vehicle of any kind. Its not if, its when you are in a wreck.

May 5, 2007
I rented an Armada for 5 day trip in Everglades, liked it very much. Unlike many crossovers or so called "SUV's" of today it is a true truck, body on frame

Only thing I couldn't figure out was where the hell the gas went. it wasn't that big or overly powerful, just seemed to suck up fuel

Hell, look for a used Ford Valdez (Excursion) and you should do OK in a crash with anything smaller than a tour bus

Barahonacity

Dec 2, 2012
I'd go with a Nissan Murano. Stay away from Fords in DR. Fords have low resale value so when you ever decide to sell it, it's going to be a pain.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you guys are not realistic here. the budget is 15-20k dollars. any of the large cars you are sweating about, like prado, costs a lot more than that. both armada and prado would be 10 years old or so, within this budget and that also compromises security.
i'd say to stay with santa fe or highlander. both are big, both have additional row of seat (useful with a child army shalena has). both are fairly low maintenance. bear in mind that the car is not only the initial price but also insurance, marbete (eventually it will depend on the value of the car), parts and so on. why complicate what is essentially easy?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
you guys are not realistic here. the budget is 15-20k dollars. any of the large cars you are sweating about, like prado, costs a lot more than that. both armada and prado would be 10 years old or so, within this budget and that also compromises security.
i'd say to stay with santa fe or highlander. both are big, both have additional row of seat (useful with a child army shalena has). both are fairly low maintenance. bear in mind that the car is not only the initial price but also insurance, marbete (eventually it will depend on the value of the car), parts and so on. why complicate what is essentially easy?

Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 2003 En Venta en Rep?blica Dominicana @SuperCarros.com - #361545

and lots more..

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Unrealistic, of course we are. If we were realistic we would be living in Miami with a fat gringa, paying a deluge of bills every month until we had our heart attack.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
$15 to 20,000 means smaller SUV, & a few years old!
"DRCAFTA", or not!
"Dominican Vanity" forces them to want an "SUV", and NOT a "Mini Van", which means that the "Mini Vans" are a better deal to purchase.
With a bunch of kids, I think they are a better fit!
Toyota "Sienna" comes to the top of my list, if they still call their "Mini Van" the "Sienna".
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
OK!!!
Mid-size it is.
I don't mind something a little older if it has been well maintained, also I plan to request the services of TheGorgon if possible since I am just a "po' little ole woman" and don't want to buy a piece of crap. I know I'm taking a chance on whatever I buy but at least maybe I'll avoid one that's gonna break down on me 2 months after.

SHALENA