Safest Vehicle for DR

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
and your point is? this car is 11 years old, just as i said.

Sorry.
I don't see any reference to the age of the vehicle in the first thread. Musta mist it.

It's raining and I'm bored so let's have a look at this again.

Definition of 'Safest'.

As applied to driving over here:-

Able to resist a collision.

Most modern vehicles since the 80's have been designed with crumple zones and anti- death devices so anything from a major manufacturer in the 2000's will be pretty crash resistant, including airbags and other such gizmos.
Even those little tiddly cars are pretty safe, but you won't be able to use the car again after a crash.

The bigger cars are not necessarily more resistant but give the impression of strength which is comforting, hence all the 4x4s on the school run.

From my experience with my antique Mitsubishi, motoconchos tend to bounce off and don't actually penetrate the interior of most cars, but then, I've not tried a Smart here.....

In the DR, one has to consider the 'breaking down in the campo at night' syndrome

which could occur when your luxury Range Rover forgets how to start the engine, your fine German car tells you it won't go until it's been serviced by a Munich trained mechanic, your American car can't stomach the rubbish they call gasoline here and stops so it won't pollute India,your Chinese copy of a 1970's Jappo job falls apart from incorrect metal alloys,your Hummer has so many knobs and whistles but can't crawl out of a ditch and your French car is, well, just French, and calls it a day and stops for 'un coup de rouge' et menu de jour',your Swedish car is so obsessed with its new image that it won't let you get it dirty or go anywhere squalid, and your Korean marvel is losing resale value faster than an Italian car can dissolve to oxide in a small shower of distilled water, your Eco-friendly hybrid has decided that you are not a fit person to be in this world and refuses to go anywhere until you buy some carbon-credits and all this time you are watching for friendly locals who appear from nowhere to "help".

But,
Your Toyota still works anyway.

And the next day
You can abuse it and ignore it, call it names and kick it,
It still loves you.
And works.....

Like all the other Japanese cars that go by when you're stranded in a cloud of steam or other vehicular fluids.

(BTW. I don't have a Toyota, but would have if I could...)

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I mentioned the Ford Escape because I thought you were in market for a "new" car or SUV. The only car I would buy in the DR is a Toyota Fortuner. When I am in Costa Rica I only rent a Fortuner a guy I know rents a 2007 and it is a GREAT form of transportation for a place like DR. It even has a 3rd row seat something I see you would like.

The only draw back is it does not have a lot of power, but it is good on gas because of the diesel engine. I can't tell you the price off the top of my head but I think a 2006 2007 is around 20,000USD to 23,000USD.

A really good SUV for the money. I WISH they sold them in the USA!!!

May 5, 2007
Can't recall what hey were/are or how many she needs to seat, but I think it was teh Nissan Fronteir 4X4 extended cab diesel National rented. Plenty nimble, go anywhere, potholes, curbing or mud holes, ddint break, great mileage navigate small streets but would hold only 3 adults and 2 children comfortably but had almost full bed for hauling stuff Ddi ride pretty stiff though, it was a true truck

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
it all comes down to the budget in the end..... how much you're willing to part with ($$$$$)

nice to narrow the scope but your pocketbook will dictate the car in the final analysis.

You've got the scope here -- even light trucks for you consider !!

Best of luck

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
shalena has 4 kids. plus occasionally nanny or friends/family she'd probably need to sit about 6 (plus driver). the youngest needs car seat, i think? a pickup will not do. my FIL has tundra full cabin or whatever it is called, the biggest there is, and there's still not enough room unless you only do a short ride or you're willing to compromise safety.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
The only reason I didn't automatically go with a mini-van is because they seem just as low to the ground as cars....so what's the difference. Like I said, I saw a Honda Odessey (sp?) that I really liked, had lateral airbags and all but like I said....didn't seem to have any height over the cars. And there's no way to check the airbags....gotta trust the person selling that they're there!

I guess midsize is best. Murano, Santa Fe, or something like that. Now I just need to check the safety stats. But I would prefer something with 3rd row seat because as dv8 said...lots of people in tow usually. And yes, kids use seatbelts in the back.

But yes, my money will dictate.

SHALENA

May 5, 2007
The only reason I didn't automatically go with a mini-van is because they seem just as low to the ground as cars....so what's the difference. Like I said, I saw a Honda Odessey (sp?) that I really liked, had lateral airbags and all but like I said....didn't seem to have any height over the cars. And there's no way to check the airbags....gotta trust the person selling that they're there!

I guess midsize is best. Murano, Santa Fe, or something like that. Now I just need to check the safety stats. But I would prefer something with 3rd row seat because as dv8 said...lots of people in tow usually. And yes, kids use seatbelts in the back.

But yes, my money will dictate.

SHALENA

If you want something "strong" or rugged in an SUV, look for soemthing that is called "Body on Frame." They are getting rare as they are heavy The huge differnce is this; Most if not all of your crossovers and small to medium SUV's are unibody construction, no different than a Dodge Neon except a bit larger in size. In body on frame, you have a very heavy steel frame that goes all teh way around the vehicle and body is atatched to that. it's this structual ladder frame that provides rigidity and safety in crash If you can find an older M Class Mercedes, they were tough and Body on frame I truly don't knwo what i sanymore, have to Google I guess

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
$15 to 20,000 means smaller SUV, & a few years old!
"DRCAFTA", or not!
"Dominican Vanity" forces them to want an "SUV", and NOT a "Mini Van", which means that the "Mini Vans" are a better deal to purchase.
With a bunch of kids, I think they are a better fit!
Toyota "Sienna" comes to the top of my list, if they still call their "Mini Van" the "Sienna".
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

For $15,000. you could buy a Sienna in mint condition, my taxi driver bought one. Also a smoother
ride than a SUV.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have a 2002 Montero Sport 4WD for sale, outstanding condition, RD$300,000.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
2002 Kia SPORTAGE 4 door air 4 cylinder low mileage. .... Well maintained and at 5000 us , what r u waiting 4,!

Aug 6, 2006
If I were selling a car, I would not say "low mileage" I would say 40,000 miles, 64000 kilometers, and let the readers decide what "low" means. 2002 means it is 11 years old. "low mileage" could mean pretty much anything under 200K Kms.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I have YET to see someone selling a used car in this Country and the ODOMETER "WASN'T" Rolled back...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I have a 2002 Montero Sport 4WD for sale, outstanding condition, RD$300,000.

I owned a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. Great car for the DR. It has a heavy duty suspension, very reliable and it a good fit for for all of the various terrain found on the Island. I would not by a new car but look for a used car from a private individual.

LTSTeve

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Whilst we're doing choice of vehicles, can somebody explain the Pickup Truck thing to me?

Some folks seem to want one of these, complete with gun rack and spittoon for no real reason.

This guy doesn't have a farm, the closest he got to growing his own food was green mould on a forgotten pizza, the closest he came to home improvements was a stick-on hook which subsequently fell off, his intentions of moving house are less than the pyramids of Giza, his gardening is a vase of plastic plants from WalMart yet he drives from the office to the pub in something that fills up with rainwater and was designed for hauling 2 tons of industrial waste through the deep Tundra pulling a four-ton rig making the OPEC producers very rich....

Some of them are even named after catastrophic fatal disasters unwelcome everywhere, like 'Avalanche' etc

Very strange to me....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have YET to see someone selling a used car in this Country and the ODOMETER "WASN'T" Rolled back...
My 2002 is not. 140,000 miles, always maintained in top shape. I had the front drive train (4WD) rebuilt.

We bought a newer Explorer, so the Montero is being sold. We've owned it for 4 years.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Whilst we're doing choice of vehicles, can somebody explain the Pickup Truck thing to me?

Some folks seem to want one of these, complete with gun rack and spittoon for no real reason.

This guy doesn't have a farm, the closest he got to growing his own food was green mould on a forgotten pizza, the closest he came to home improvements was a stick-on hook which subsequently fell off, his intentions of moving house are less than the pyramids of Giza, his gardening is a vase of plastic plants from WalMart yet he drives from the office to the pub in something that fills up with rainwater and was designed for hauling 2 tons of industrial waste through the deep Tundra pulling a four-ton rig making the OPEC producers very rich....

Some of them are even named after catastrophic fatal disasters unwelcome everywhere, like 'Avalanche' etc

Very strange to me....

Well as the owner of a number of trucks over the past 40 years I can tell you that you have better vision of the road and traffic, highly practical for moving things, and most are a joy to drive. The minuses are bad gas mileage, harder to park and turn around. The new ford trucks are superb. Several years ago I drove with a group to play golf at Pinehurst. Six guys with all our golf-gear and suitcases for a week of golf. Fit all six us very comfortably.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My sister drives a "Chevy Silverado Double Cab 2500" it's like sitting in a "recliner" in your living room.
It's really FAST, It will pass ANYTHING, EXCEPT a Gas Station!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC