Safety in DR

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
mk, that is a good question to post in the Legal section in order to get a response from Fabio Guzman.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
When I came here to live I contacted the Dominican Consolate in my state. They told me what was best to bring with me. I got my Birth certificate translated in spanish and got 4 dopies. I mailed the consolate in Philly my origianl and sent the check and that was done. I got a letter of good conduct from the poliice in my home town. All it said was that he kbnew me fopr over 20 years and to the best of his knowledge I was a good citizen and he signed it. I got the papers from my vet that said my dog had all her shots and sent that to the Dominican consolate with my birthcertificate and they approved my dog.
After I got to DR I had no trouble opening an american dollar savings account and a peso account. I used my pasport and it was easy.
I did most of my residency alone but with the help of a lawyer friend. It took a while cause I did it alone and when you don't pay it takes alot longer.
I have never had trouble here in Santo Domingo. There were a few harry situations but I worked my way out of them. I never fealt afraid here but I am always cautious. But then I was cautious in USA also. Just watch where you are and make friends with the lopcals. They will watch out for you. Be friendly but I don't permit anyone in my home unless I know them well.
When I go out in a publiic car or walking I know in general wqhere I will be and plan accordingly. If going to Duarte I don't carry my usual purse as when I go out at night. I always put money in different places so incase I get robbed I have a backup. But I did that in USA also.
I say...come here be a nice human. Talk to the people here as equals. Don't ast like a snob and don't act afraid and better than everyone else. Use common sense. Friends are important. Get to know your neighbors. Relax. Don't rush things. Things here move s-l-o-w. So relax and enjoy. Even the power outages have their good points. You can go to the street with everyone else and meet your neighbors, all is good.
If you come to Zona Colonial I'll be glad to show you MY Dominican Republic!
(oops...was I talking too much? You knopw thats not like me..jejej...its the back medicine I've been taking...God bless Brugal! )

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Cadaha... I go often, dress nicely, carry money, drive a car and never have had a problem with Policia. Girls bother me more than anything else (when I am not interested of course) and I feel very safe walking the streets here. I hope you are working for Brad. He has a real nice crew there and runs a great operation. All you need is a PASSPORT to open a bank account in the DR and a letter of reference from a bank you do business with in the UK. What ever else you heard is BS. Some people are happy there others are not. It depends on what kind of person YOU are more than anything else in my opinion. Your wife is safe unless I am in town and then all bets are off. I would have my pension check deposited in a US bank that charges NO FEES for checking (charter one) has internet banking (charter one) has no charge international wire transfers (charter one) and gives you a free toaster (charterone). Then you have the ability to do what the hell you want to do as long as you keep the account under 100k US dollars to be federally insured. Shit, you are a Brit and that is a US bank. Look for the same in the UK if it exists.

Larry... Screw Bushbabys advice, listen to me instead! LOL

Mkohn... I just brought the stuff and gave it to my attorney and everything worked out and I am a permanent resident now until they figure out whom they gave this shit to!

MQ... What the hell are you worrying about? You know the country better than those that live there. I feel sorry for the SOB that tries to give you a hard time and if I saw you fighting with a bear I would probably stick up for the bear since I root for the underdogs!

Ken... I love you! Unsafe sex next time I am down.

Man I crack myself up!

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Cadaha Move

Cadaha,
I'm surprised that your Navy pension can be paid into a UK offshore account? But no matter. If you have no back up money then I suppose that your pension might carry you through? It's cheap here but not that cheap!! But then again you should be earning locally which will help.
You can easily transfer UK funds direct to your local account as and when you need it but it will cost you a fee, an agents fee and the currency charges - beware! If it's coming in ex UK in pounds or US$ then it has to go through clearing banks in the USA!
Please take others advice - we are all a little gobsmacked to hear that you are negotiating a house deal, with finance, without ever having been here!!!! Get your arse in gear and pop down, even if only for a week and at least check the place out!! Even more gobsmacked to hear that your planning the whole move, kit and caboodle, without ever having seen the DR???
We're amazed!!
Wotta lotta bottle you've got!
Take advice - but we'll all be pleased to see you, and keep up the postings.
Peter & Alex

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
oh my!!!

Just read my post and the spelling is bad. The keybpard studders! Its not me! Sorry it was so bad , but hope you understand all I wrote. I only understand half of it myself.
(still thanking God for Brugal!! jajaja)

cadaha

Jun 10, 2003
Just wondering how any of you English went about getting a statement of good conduct from here in the UK.

They say that all they can do is give you a data printout.

Is this acceptable in the DR when applying for residency?

Also I seem to get the idea that permanet residency isn't permanent but that you have to pay $1500 each year to keep your residency legal.

Is this true?

Oh yeh the survey is being done on our house on Thursday so we could be out in about 3 weeks. :cool:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You don't need it from your home country: you need to get your Buena Conducta certificate from the Dominican Police, a chaotic but swift procedure.

Chiri

cadaha

Jun 10, 2003
Thanks Jan, where are you from?

In England you can't get a letter from the local police.

If you are from England and know different please let me know how you managed it.

Cheers

Carl

cadaha

Jun 10, 2003
Progress Update

Hi Everyone

<center><b><u>Progress so far.</u></b></center>

Exchanged contracts on our house yesterday and removal men came and took our belongings away, won't see them for about four months now until our temp residency is through :-(

Completion on the sale of our house is on 10 July

Booked vet for final check up for dogs on 13 July.

Legalisation of the dogs' export certificate on 14 July (this means a trip to London from Leeds costing us ?200 (including legalistaion costs of ?12 from our Foreign and Commonwealth Office and, wait for it, a whopping ?55 for the same thing from the DR Consulate) just to get two stamps on our export certificate).

Flight is booked for us and the dogs on 16 July on Britannia flight from Manchester.

Organising that was no easy feat when the travel company won't except a deposit for the flight, to hold it, within twelve weeks of travel and the dammed solicitors won't give a completion date for the sale until contracts are exchanged.

To cap it all we nearly missed the last two seats on the aircraft when the company who are dealing with the dogs turn round and say - Quote <b>'Britannia Airlines won't take dogs on their Caribbean flights'</b> - Unquote.

After a heated discussion they agreed to speak to Britannia, as I did earlier today, and confirm that they <i>do</i> take dogs to the Caribbean. After nearly having a nervous breakdown Skymaster finally managed to confirm that the dogs can fly.

Crossing every apendage whilst phoning the travel company finally resulted in two tickets to Puerto Plata on 16 July.

Our last task is to arrange our Villa rental for the next 3 months. Any offers???

SEE YOU ALL ON THE 16th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Cahada...

Repsonded to your email. Any other questions just ask. We are having a get together in Sosua on the 18th at Eddys Sports Bar in Sosua. You should try and make it. Look for a thread started by Keith R.

See you in Sosua!

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Good Conduct Certificate & Dogs

A huge big welcome for when you get here!
We came from Dubai in the Middle East & couldn't get a police report - simple - my wife typed one on Port Authority headed paper and convinced the Arab Chairman to sign it! That worked!!! We've got residency!
Dogs arriving in POP - they arrive, you find them, you find the vet, she checked the papers, you pay the fee RD$100 to the vet for each dog and RD$170 for each dog to the airline, the vet issues the certificate from the DR Ministry of Agriculture and then you walk out with the dogs!! But that was with unaccompanied dogs from Dubai via Frankfurt with Condor Air in April 2002 - maybe things have changed??
All good fun!!
Regards
Peter & Alex

cadaha

Jun 10, 2003
Hi Peter & Alex

Thanks for the information about the vet.

Are you going to be at Eddies on the 18th? :cool:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
cadaha, welcome! Yours is certainly just about the quickest move I've heard of. Read this board, look at the archives and try to be at the reunion on the 18th to meet a number of frequent and infrequent posters and lurkers. Don't be in a hurry to do anything before investigating it quite properly. Even a bank account. Things are different here but if you approach it with an adventurous but cautious spirit, you'll love the time down here. Hope to meet you on the 18th - Bring MARMITE!

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Cabarete Marmite Factory

Hi Chris,
Careful!! We asked our visitors over the last few months for Marmite!! We're now the proud owners of 8 huge jars!!!
How much toast & Marmite can an Expat Brit eat? But we're trying!
Peter & Alex

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Welcome to Paradise.

Well, not quite, but I've been here three years and all the trials and tribulations haven't kept me downhearted for long. It's great to hear of more Brits coming. I'm amazed at how many of you there are out there, who I haven't bumped into yet. Let's see if I can put that right on the 18th.

I live on the far side of Cabarete and it's a great place to live, very tranquilo. Get in touch and call in for a cup of tea if you're having withdrawal symptoms. I've got a stash of Earl Grey. Same goes for anyone else.

Have a great life here.

Linda.