SAHARAN DUST

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Cannot see the ocean horizon as it is obliterated by the massive Saharan Dust plume.

I heard it eradicates Covid-19😜

The dust grows the tropical rain forests and creates lush vegetation but how is it on your lungs and skin?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I can unequivocal state that it bothers those with sensitive respiratory systems.
Already it hit me like a Mack Truck.
Back on the puffers and masks ....here we go again.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
I can unequivocal state that it bothers those with sensitive respiratory systems.
So sorry. What a bummer. I'm rethinking my 5 mile walk/jog today.

How long will this last?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017

How long will this last?
I can only reflect on what the Internet says.... maybe another week at least.... seems two clouds are in the making. Another on Wednesday or Thursday.
What a bummer.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Cannot see the ocean horizon as it is obliterated by the massive Saharan Dust plume.

I heard it eradicates Covid-19😜

The dust grows the tropical rain forests and creates lush vegetation but how is it on your lungs and skin?

If the Saharan Dust clouds are indeed beneficial to the tropical rain forests and creating lush vegetation, why can not the same be said for where they originate from?
Just kickin' that around the pitch.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

and perhaps not just sensitive ones Russel

read this

The Sahara Dust that has arrived affects the respiratory system
making infections more susceptible .....

YIKES !!
pass my mask!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Aha Black Knight

If ANYBODY can ---- you can....

give it the old college try !!!
The women all love you !!!
even the Mothers!!

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
1592864321865.png

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
If the Saharan Dust clouds are indeed beneficial to the tropical rain forests and creating lush vegetation, why can not the same be said for where they originate from?
Sure.

There are many benefits to Saharan dust. It helps to temporarily suppress or lower tropical activity, can lead to vibrant sunrises and sunsets, fertilize soil in the Amazon, and help maintain Caribbean beaches.

Not much water in the Saharan Desert.
SORRY, WE'RE CLOSED🤣

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

How long will this last?
It will last as long as their is the Sahara, a once thriving lush place of its own, but it was ruined by locusts and goat herders. I don't know any data to back up that the dust is good for tropical forests here. It has no nutrient value

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
It will last as long as their is the Sahara, a once thriving lush place of its own, but it was ruined by locusts and goat herders. I don't know any data to back up that the dust is good for tropical forests here. It has no nutrient value

This article and video by NASA has your answer (and more- super interesting!):

(TL;DR: the saharah dust storms dump 22,000 tons of phosphorous from ancient lake beds in Chad onto the Amazon every year!)

Reactions: NanSanPedro

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
This article and video by NASA has your answer (and more- super interesting!):

(TL;DR: the saharah dust storms dump 22,000 tons of phosphorous from ancient lake beds in Chad onto the Amazon every year!)
I do not think this dust brings a net benefit:

"It’s impact on the Caribbean, Saharan dust is rich in minerals, like iron – making it essentially an airborne fertilizer for marine life as well as tropical rain forests. Unfortunately, this same ‘fertilizer’ encourages the growth of algae blooms and toxic algae blooms (known as ‘red tides’) in the sea which have been responsible for the deaths of huge numbers of fish and other marine life in the past. Researchers have also linked Saharan dust to coral disease. Coral reefs in the Caribbean have been in a state of decline since the 1970s, and several other marine species suffered mass moralities in 1983. Coincidentally, the Saharan Air Layer has increased dramatically since the 1970s, with peak dust years occurring in 1973, 1983, and 1987. According to Gene Shinn, Senior Geologist at the U.S. Geological Survey Center for Coastal Geology: ‘Our hypothesis is that much of the coral reef decline in the Caribbean is a result of pathogens transported in dust from North Africa.’

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
I do not think this dust brings a net benefit:

"It’s impact on the Caribbean, Saharan dust is rich in minerals, like iron – making it essentially an airborne fertilizer for marine life as well as tropical rain forests. Unfortunately, this same ‘fertilizer’ encourages the growth of algae blooms and toxic algae blooms (known as ‘red tides’) in the sea which have been responsible for the deaths of huge numbers of fish and other marine life in the past. Researchers have also linked Saharan dust to coral disease. Coral reefs in the Caribbean have been in a state of decline since the 1970s, and several other marine species suffered mass moralities in 1983. Coincidentally, the Saharan Air Layer has increased dramatically since the 1970s, with peak dust years occurring in 1973, 1983, and 1987. According to Gene Shinn, Senior Geologist at the U.S. Geological Survey Center for Coastal Geology: ‘Our hypothesis is that much of the coral reef decline in the Caribbean is a result of pathogens transported in dust from North Africa.’

For sure. I was just providing you with the data regarding benefit to tropical forests you were looking for in your previous post- that it DOES have "nutritional value." The world environment is complex, and connected! Could you provide a link to the article you're quoting, above? It's not from the article I posted, and I'm interested to read the rest of it. Thanks!