Sale of Home

Solar39

Dec 13, 2010
My mother passed away recently. She owned a one family home in Santiago. I have the title, it is in her name. Do I have to go through a legal process to get my name and my sisters on the title in order to sell it? Is it possible to sell it privately, without going through the long legal process of changing over the title and then selling it?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You can’t sell a property that’s not on your name.
That doesn't stop a lot of people from trying to do it. I've been looking for another suitable property to purchase for almost 10 years now. Of the few dozen I've been interested in, they've all had some sort of documentation problem.
The latest was a nice home in a good area of SC. I asked the seller if it has a title, and he said "Yes, absolutely! All you have to do is the deslinde!" LOL

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
You can’t sell a property that’s not on your name.
You should talk to my baby moma. She sold my house and kept all the proceeds. Dont say it cant be done. In this country anything is possible with a little grease in the right spots.

Reactions: Solar39

nsxplus1

Feb 3, 2020
My mother passed away recently. She owned a one family home in Santiago. I have the title, it is in her name. Do I have to go through a legal process to get my name and my sisters on the title in order to sell it? Is it possible to sell it privately, without going through the long legal process of changing over the title and then selling it?
This is a simple explanation but will take time to execute.
1- If you and your sister agree you can fill out a notary document "particion amigable" and have the court acknowledge it.
2- fill out the tax office document listing the estate of your mother and paying the inheritance tax. you have 6 months or you will have to pay an additional fine
3- you can sell the property as is. the buyer is in essence buying your inheritance rights and they will have to do the process as if if were you in order to get the title changed.
I recommend that you find a lawyer and pay them a flat fee to do this process and sell the house a market value vs a discounted sale as is.
During the process you can rent the house or if you have a buyer do a promise of sale to fund the legal and tax situation

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
How do I go about getting an appraisal?
You can get a local appraiser but keep in mind if someone purchases it and gets bank financing the bank will send their own appraiser who will be a lot closer to reality than any guy you can hire.