Samana, the most beautiful place on earth!

go2dbeach

Mar 3, 2012
Corfu island
I was very lucky to visit the Samana peninsula just ten years ago. We had rent a car and drove around the country, but we fell in love with El Rincon beach and Las Galeras village. I'm very curious to know if it still the quiet paradise i saw then. I really hope it is not full of AI resorts nowdays...
[video=youtube;3u3qZ8eSxKQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u3qZ8eSxKQ[/video]

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I was there last time about 6 months ago. It's still a paradise. AI resorts are getting closer and closer on the route to Las Galeras, but they are still quite far.

go2dbeach

Mar 3, 2012
Corfu island
That's excellent news! I really hope I can make it back to the Dominican republic for another trip..
Here's is the second video of the trip to this amazing part of the world. Las Terrenas village as I saw it ten years ago and the nearby beaches. At 00:38 you can see the airport El Portillo (I think that's the name) just a dirt road with small planes, which now I've heard is an international airport, so maybe it has changed dramatically..
[video=youtube;2bVCGHca7zM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bVCGHca7zM[/video]

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
That's excellent news! I really hope I can make it back to the Dominican republic for another trip..
Here's is the second video of the trip to this amazing part of the world. Las Terrenas village as I saw it ten years ago and the nearby beaches. At 00:38 you can see the airport El Portillo (I think that's the name) just a dirt road with small planes, which now I've heard is an international airport, so maybe it has changed dramatically..

They have closed the beautiful little airport at El Portillo and so far it doesn't seem to be re-opening.Shame as it was a great day out flight from POP.

I think you are referring to El Catey International which passes as Samana Airport although it is a considerable distance away and does not impact on Samana town in any way.
It's a huge white elephant with 2 miles of runway, terminals and parking for jumbos and gets one plane per blue moon.

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
It is still beautiful and if you come in a period without a holiday you will find the beaches still quiet and uncluttered.
Still love it after 30 years. Come back.

go2dbeach

Mar 3, 2012
Corfu island
This is another vid from Boca chica. Not as beautiful as Samana, but still a nice and live beach:
[video=youtube;kVD3cxaEylc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVD3cxaEylc[/video]

May 12, 2005
Is it the European part that bothers you ? :)

If not, I am sure there are no more than any beach town in DR IMHO

It is a lush beautiful place nonetheless, not overdeveloped yet.

No, it's the pedophile and trash part that bothers me. In Samana they just happen to be European

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I just returned after a five day visit to Las Galeras. I generally go to Las Terranas when I visit the DR, but it was high season in January and I really didn't want to deal with the 'crowd' in LT at this time of the year. LT is not what it was 10 years ago. There are many more condos in LT and transportation to LT has greatly improved with new and better paved roads. It is still one of the gems of the DR, but not like it was when I first visited 10 years ago, and its more expensive. The is restaurants are wonderful and the french pastries are still top of the line. LG however, is, relatively speaking, the same fishing village you probably experienced. It is much the same as it was. It is much smaller and less developed. What I love most about LT is the beach. LG can't compare. I love both though and will visit them again as much as I can in the future. And, btw, yes, I lament the European part, although I love being able to find great meats and produce at the Super Mercado and cuisine in LT. You really have to look around in LT to find authentic Dominican food. And, it seems that the population of the Dominicans in LT have been largely moved out and marginalized and on the back streets. Progress, I suppose.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
No, it's the pedophile and trash part that bothers me. In Samana they just happen to be European

Honestly, I don't see it there (It is not in your face at least) and I feel very comfortable vacationing there with my young children. Many Euro and Canadians (few Americans) are settled there and married with Dominicanas and Haitianas, also lots and lots well to do Dominicans from the Islands visit there.

I Don't mean that there is no pedophiles or seedy elements but it is not bad compared to other places both in DR and other Caribbean places I have visited.

I also wish it was a little more mixed Americans, Euros, Dom but it is what it is and I now see more and more English speakers (Americans and Canadians).

Aug 6, 2006
I first went there in the late 70's, before there was any electricity other than "plantas". There were only seven or eight European restaurants, Spanish and Italian, mostly, and a modest number of German tourists.
--
There were two very loud discos near the beach. No one showed up before 10 PM, because that is when the local girls made their appearance. Being as they were Dominicans, washing and hair took a lot of time, and since the houses were mostly small and cramped, bathing was done outdoors using large plastic tubs. Of course, it had to be completely dark for this to take place. And of course, there was no reason to rush anywhere. The discos stayed open as long as there were people still moving and drinking. Closing time was around 4:00 AM, later on weekends.

The beach there has always been spectacular: lots fine sand and palm trees for shade. The only danger was getting bopped on the head by a falling coconut. The water was calm, and the beach was shallow at least 30 meters from the shore. It was amazing to watch the Sun come up.

Some day I plan a return.

American Gallego

Feb 21, 2013

I believe the right response should have been "pedophile and trash bother me in Samana", and not include any particular race. There are plenty of pedophiles of every race out there.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I believe the right response should have been "pedophile and trash bother me in Samana", and not include any particular race. There are plenty of pedophiles of every race out there.

The world population can be divided into 4 major races, namely white/Caucasian, Mongoloid/Asian, Negroid/Black, and Australoid. "Eurpoean" is not a race.

Aug 6, 2006
Europeans are pretty much all Whites (ie, Caucasian), however. I doubt if there are many people on this planet who are 100% any specific "race", though.

American Gallego

Feb 21, 2013
The world population can be divided into 4 major races, namely white/Caucasian, Mongoloid/Asian, Negroid/Black, and Australoid. "Eurpoean" is not a race.

Let me rephrase it then.

I believe the right response should have been "pedophile and trash bother me in Samana", and not include any particular
continent. There are plenty of pedophiles of in every country out there.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Sorry about my grammar and spelling errors, but I know you get my meaning. :> LT and LG are my favorite destinations in the Dominican Republic! As far as pedophiles and the like go, I have not seen it, but then, I haven't been looking either.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
We ALL are from the same Eve. And she is African. But, is this germane.

Last edited: