Samsung phone guru needed in Sosua

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
I DO that. I have experience with techie guys. I made bad choices in deleting apps. And that's the royal squeeze
If you have your valuable stuff backed up the factory reset is highly recommended. As an extra bonus, if unbeknown to you, your phone has virus or spy apps, they would be gone after the reset. Of course you should after the reset, install an antivirus and an antispy app to prevent re-infection. Avast is a good free antivirus.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I DO that. I have experience with techie guys. I made bad choices in deleting apps. And that's the royal squeeze

Be careful with some of the advice you are getting on this thread, as long as you can power up the phone, you can remove any pics with USB cord to a desktop. Unless you specified in phone's settings, they are NOT automatically backed up on GOOGLE.
Any apps you own / downloaded, can always be re-downloaded.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
ok, I am not sure if a SD card will solve the problem. Many people don't realize the Sd card is for data storage only and in some cases the phone allows the apps to be installed on sd card.
Here is what you need to do.
Delete some apps like tambo said. this will free up space in the internal memory where apps are installed. then you will be able to add more apps that you need.
let me explain how the phone's internal memory works. your phone is very basic and has only 4gb internal memory but that memory is also partitioned into 2 separate memories. the 4gb is divided into 2, one for nand, where the operating system is installed and some memory is left for you to install the apps. then the other partition is for internal memory where your data is stored, example: photos and music and apps data. seems like you have filled up both of these memories. your internal memory for data should have filled up by now and so is the memory for apps installation.
you need to uninstall some useless apps and then delete or backup your photos and music on your laptop. this will free up all the 2 memory spaces inside the phone. now as tambo said, buy a new sd card and make sure you add music and other stuff to this part of the memory (external sd card) and then configure your camera to store pictures in sd card as well.
but in simple words, get a new phone with some higher specs. your phone is for old women who only receive calls from their grand kids.
AZB

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
o
but in simple words, get a new phone with some higher specs. your phone is for old women who only receive calls from their grand kids.
AZB

I am an old woman who only gets calls from her kid!

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Thanks to DR-1er

Many thanks to AnnG of DR-1 for her help resolving phone issues.

And thanks to dv8 for defending me from the ageists.....:p

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Ok, as we are on this topic, I understand all about the internal memory being split into 2 parts. What I cannot understand why is it not possible to save apps directly onto the SD card, is it that the apps would be slower to run because they would be located in the last memory, i.e. the SD card? Life would be so much easier if we were free to save whatever we wanted to the SD card and not just media files. I have a 64 gig SD card so I would have more than enough room to put my apps there!

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Many thanks to AnnG of DR-1 for her help resolving phone issues.

And thanks to dv8 for defending me from the ageists.....:p

So we met and it turns out yahoo mails data was using almost 2 gb.
We fixed that and regained all that memory, but we couldn't get gmail to work.
Kept getting an error message need to update googleplay.
When we said okay update said google sync was necessary. Tried syncing and
did partial but then another error message google sync is not working now check later.
Deleted google account and re-added account still got error message to update googleplay.
I'm thinking it's the Samsung phone. Another weird thing is there was no way to find a way to delete photos.
The menu button seemed stuck at times and wouldn't open.
Any thoughts how to get gmail to work?

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
Your cell phone only has 4 GB of memory, you can get it fairly clean, but in no time you will get the same trouble again, it just doesn't have sufficient memory. try getting one with 16 GB.

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
Ok, as we are on this topic, I understand all about the internal memory being split into 2 parts. What I cannot understand why is it not possible to save apps directly onto the SD card, is it that the apps would be slower to run because they would be located in the last memory, i.e. the SD card? Life would be so much easier if we were free to save whatever we wanted to the SD card and not just media files. I have a 64 gig SD card so I would have more than enough room to put my apps there!

Some phone vendors do indeed permit you to run some apps from the SD card, this will be none system or OS apps. This will also be dependent on your os version.

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
So we met and it turns out yahoo mails data was using almost 2 gb.
We fixed that and regained all that memory, but we couldn't get gmail to work.
Kept getting an error message need to update googleplay.
When we said okay update said google sync was necessary. Tried syncing and
did partial but then another error message google sync is not working now check later.
Deleted google account and re-added account still got error message to update googleplay.
I'm thinking it's the Samsung phone. Another weird thing is there was no way to find a way to delete photos.
The menu button seemed stuck at times and wouldn't open.
Any thoughts how to get gmail to work?

It may seem that the OS has been corrupted; the easy way to fix this is to do a factory reset. A factory reset overwrites all of the personal data, effectively destroying your personal information and making it permanently inaccessible. The cell will be as if it was new.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
i just thought i would throw in my two cents. You won't like it. This phone is ok but i would just get a new one. It has a very poor processor as far as smartphones go. I do not even repair these as the cost is too high to make it worth it. the screen and LCD is more than the phones is worth if damaged.. I think its smart to invest in a better phone. But do the factory reset as said above and it should be good

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
*#*#7780#*#* Resetting your phone to factory state-Only deletes application data and applications
*2767*3855# It's a complete wiping of your mobile also it reinstalls the phones firmware

try this for easy wipe.

does not work if bought from Verizon. not sure where yours is from with out serial number

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
It may seem that the OS has been corrupted; the easy way to fix this is to do a factory reset. A factory reset overwrites all of the personal data, effectively destroying your personal information and making it permanently inaccessible. The cell will be as if it was new.
Which is what I suggested to her quite a few posts back. Believe it or not, I actually know what I am talking about. In a few minutes the phone may be operating like new. It may take a bit longer depending on how many apps need to be reinstalled, and settings reset. Still should be far less than half an hour.

The factory reset should fix the vast majority of "weird" problems in the vast majority of the cases. Of course it will not fix a hardware problem (meaning a physical component is broken). The only downside of a factory reset is the possibly loss of valuable data (which wouldn't happen if all valuable stuff is backed up elsewhere, as we should always do). I also explained all that, before. Oh well.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Your cell phone only has 4 GB of memory, you can get it fairly clean, but in no time you will get the same trouble again, it just doesn't have sufficient memory. try getting one with 16 GB.
I disagree that 4G is necessarily too little.

The key is to understand that a phone is not a place for the PERMANENT STORAGE of stuff (especially media files, such as photos and especially videos) whether taken with the phone or send to the user by others. The idea is to periodically transfer photos and videos elsewhere and delete them from the phone.

Of course, if the phone accepts memory card, why not? they aren't that expensive these days.

A new phone may not be necessary, depending on the users needs. If it is just calls, text messaging, simple web browsing, social networks, and occasional pics and videos, any reasonably recent phone may be OK. Keep in mind that a new/expensive phone can be lost/broken/stolen at any time, sending the user back to the store.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I disagree that 4G is necessarily too little.

Do you actually expect anybody to take you seriously with that statement?
Lollipop (Android 5.0) alone hogs up most of this.

The newer versions of Android utilize the SD card better.
THE OP's phone is a dinosaur.