Santiago 2022: Crime Increasing?

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Yes or No ,,,, YALL may elaborate Your answers

It seems to me that santiago crime rate / DELICUENCIA in the year 2022 it’s the worst it’s being ever… DO YOU ALL AGREE ?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Last saturday there were both police and military all over Santiago, including on the Duarte highway. No idea why but as soon as the highway entered La Vega province there weren't any. I have no idea why. I go to Santiago at least once a week and I have never witnessed any crime. Guess I am just lucky.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Most people never witness or are victim of a crime in a given year whether it's Santiago or elsewhere. More people know of someone that was a victim or have heard (through in person rumor mill and/or the media) that such and such was the victim of a crime. Often times it's multiple people speaking of one victim and most times they never met the victim (and never will.)

Lately there have been articles in Dominican newspapers that show that crimes such as muggings/theft/murder are actually down this year compared to a few years ago. Try and tell that to people, especially if they just saw a news report on so-and-so that was mugged in a very busy street of Santiago. Of course, they don't say anything of all the people that pass by the "area of crime" as onlookers, just the one who was unlucky.

It goes without saying that among Dominicans crime is overstated. Doesn't mean crime is extremely low, just not as high as many people think. There are people that actually think they will be mugged at any time in any street. It's not they might be, but rather that they are and their caution is what prevent that from happening. By some account, the DR might as well be in a war, more dangerous thsn Ukraine at moment.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Yes! Crime rates are high, passport scams are everywhere. The only thing to do is get to the nearest airport and GET OFF THE ISLAND!!!!
Can you elaborate on the comment about passport scams ? I agree with you BUT FOR SOME REASON EVERY ONE ELSE IS SAYING NOT TO WORRY ABOUT GIVEN OUT MY PASSPORT TO BE PHOTOCOPY

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I live in the center of Santiago.
Live is good.
Your more likely to be robbed by the
PN around here than the stick up kids.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
yeah I hear also that PN sometimes be in complexity with the police , according to NURIA NEWS

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
yeah I hear also that PN sometimes be in complexity with the police , according to NURIA NEWS
If you want a heads up with what's going on in and around Santiago I recommend
the following.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I live in the center of Santiago.
Live is good.
Your more likely to be robbed by the
PN around here than the stick up kids.
That must be just your area , cuz I hear differently.
but especially just outside Santiago , the Stick up kids have never ever been this out of control.
People are afraid in their own neighborhoods ..
At night I was instructed to NOT have my window open when driving slow. and to speed up when a couple of them on Motos approached anywhere near the vehicle .. They probably Look for and specifically target RENTAL Cars more than residents .
And Driving in the middle of the night from the Airport is not recommended at all , so those cheaper late night arrival flights are no longer an option.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
That must be just your area , cuz I hear differently.
but especially just outside Santiago , the Stick up kids have never ever been this out of control.
People are afraid in their own neighborhoods ..
At night I was instructed to NOT have my window open when driving slow. and to speed up when a couple of them on Motos approached anywhere near the vehicle .. They probably Look for and specifically target RENTAL Cars more than residents .
And Driving in the middle of the night from the Airport is not recommended at all , so those cheaper late night arrival flights are no longer an option.
No doubt.
All that fear mongering keeping schools closed helped to create a whole new class of ninis. PN have killed several kids aged 16, 17 years old this year. A lot of people I know are not happy about it. Sadly these kids are part of a much bigger problem this country is now facing. I told yall this would be the outcome, called a spade a spade back summer of 2020 and I was spot on.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Last saturday there were both police and military all over Santiago, including on the Duarte highway. No idea why but as soon as the highway entered La Vega province there weren't any. I have no idea why. I go to Santiago at least once a week and I have never witnessed any crime. Guess I am just lucky.

Hola Bob, your avatar has your photo. Was that a mug shot?

rey

Jan 2, 2007
What year(s)?
I know people living on half that amount now.
Sometime ago ; my problem is that I like to live as they say in DR with “YO VIVO CON LA GENTE” which translate I live in the nice neighborhood; So I move in on a rich neighborhood which it was beyond my means ( LOS JARDINES METROPOLITANOS/ santiago ) …. So I got behind on my rents and the rest you can imagine ; I move back to the states where I could live rent free ( sister’s house )

Anyways now am moving back to DR , with a better understanding of my budget ( low budget ) and hope for the best

PS… anyone else here a VETERAN?