Santiago affairs update:

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I can tell you for a fact that although difficult, it is not impossible for someone to visit a place like Dolce and/or MOMA and hook up with a nice girl from Santiago.

I am talking about a girl who has a career and is not looking for you to bring her to the states because guess what?, she can do that on her own. I am talking about a girl who accepts your invitation for dinner and before you know it has picked up the tab.

Santiago is all about what circle you are in. There are ways to get to know some of these people. You can go to Dolce on friday to see Fernandito ad bump into some of the same people on Saturday @ MOMA.

You will never blend in if you have a stupid fade and wear clothes that seem a bit too baggy. You will also look like an idiot when all you do is speak English and think that you will impress anyone. I have seen some guys that are fluent in spanish like I am try to pull the " I am from NY" nonsense. This may work at tipicos, not @ MOMA/DOLCE.

I will say that from an outsider's POV, it may look a bit fake and silly @ how cliqish(SP?) these places seem. Guess what? it is their place and their country.

How is it that some people expect not to stick out when they go to places like Ahi Bar and are there in shorts and baggy shirts?

Unfortunately, some people are used to the tourist areas like the North coast where this is less noticeable.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
...and let's be honest that is probably the only reason why these girls are giving YOU the time of the day. If she was a good looking professional, driving a porsche, etc...do you think you'd have a chance?

Of course I will have a chance with women professional my new wife happend to fall under this cathegory of proffessional well to do women in DR.
I don?t like cheap wins, I not a Red soxs fan!!!

Reactions: Frank the Tank

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Ha, that is one of the funniest things I think I've ever read on DR1. :laugh::laugh:

Wow...you must laugh at everything.

Here goes one...Did you know the GDP of Taiwan is about 300 billion....You must be rolling on the floor right now :cheeky:

AZB: What's more important about Santiago than the women (Chopa or not) and whether they are attainable.

Can you shed some light on a question asked earlier about the enforcement of bar closing hours...

Last time I was there went to Monte Bar and they were closing at 12:00 AM (It was a Sunday).

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I think the bars are open a bit late now. The hours have been changed. I am not sure exactly what hour but on sunday, montebar was closing down at 1am. So its possible for bars to stay open till 3am on weekends and maybe 1am on weekdays. I maybe wrong. Then again, the business dies out after 1am anyway in most places in santiago.

Now planner's question:

seems like many popular businesses are only doing "OK" business on weekends. Like 2 days / week and the rest are simply staying open, working to pay the bills. Many will go down the drain and some will just ride through this storm. Seems like the economy has gone from bad to worse. Generally a restaurant/bar business is hurt from various economical factors: the interest on the loan is too high. The light bill (airconditioning) takes a big chunk, then the large number of employees (waiters, kitchen staff, cleaning staff and the cashier etc), just kills the owner. This would come under bad planning. Generally I see a new business start out with a large number of employees and zero clients. The light bill, the high cost of supplies of food to prepare the food for customers, the high expenses, salaries for employees and the promotion (or lack of), kills the business from the beginning. The other thing is, all of them generally offer the same things and same environment. Same drinks and same food. Then the prices are really high and the taxes 27% plus tips really breaks a customer's back.
There aren't many people going out these days except if there is a special occasion example: a big name act performing somewhere.
Now -a-days people like to go to liquor stores to drink cheap and also to meet people. The street food carts at some locations are making a killing. Places like montebar (huge tipico discos) are doing good because their drinks are cheap and they can pack in thousands of people inside. No a/c inside just fans.
Places like Moma, dolce, tribecca and frandifol are only doing business on weekends, they are dead on weeknights.
santiago has been hurting financially for a long time, these days we are in serious problems.
AZB

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Dr. AZB what?s the deal with Tribecca, I heard that their reputation was going down, due to the quality of people goint there now days???

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Dr. AZB what?s the deal with Tribecca, I heard that their reputation was going down, due to the quality of people goint there now days???

There was a time, no one in jeans could get into tribecca. then the business took a dive so they started to let people in with jeans. then the dominican york drug dealers started to hang in there, 2nd floor. they usually have 5-6 button suits on, they are always with a few lambones (leeches) and an arrogant hot looking rubia (blond). These guys usually order fancy whiskey or bottles of wines. They have the whole 2nd floor to themselves. These guys are allowed in there because they spend insane amount of money. So naturally when these guys make their hang out there, bring in their criminal looking friends then the decent people go the other way. This is why places like tribecca are going down the drain. The same dom-york drug dealers are seen in andy's ranch, montebar and carwashes. these guy are high class wanna bees.

Another reason why people are going out less and less is because of the sky high gasoline prices and high food prices are keeping people from going out and spending money on leisure activities. The Big car owners are hit the worst. They can forget about taking frequent trips to beach or capital. Many of these guys with SUVs are drving their wife's smaller cars. hahahaha.
AZB

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
There was a time, no one in jeans could get into tribecca. then the business took a dive so they started to let people in with jeans. then the dominican york drug dealers started to hang in there, 2nd floor. they usually have 5-6 button suits on, they are always with a few lambones (leeches) and an arrogant hot looking rubia (blond). These guys usually order fancy whiskey or bottles of wines. They have the whole 2nd floor to themselves. These guys are allowed in there because they spend insane amount of money. So naturally when these guys make their hang out there, bring in their criminal looking friends then the decent people go the other way. This is why places like tribecca are going down the drain. The same dom-york drug dealers are seen in andy's ranch, montebar and carwashes. these guy are high class wanna bees.

Another reason why people are going out less and less is because of the sky high gasoline prices and high food prices are keeping people from going out and spending money on leisure activities. The Big car owners are hit the worst. They can forget about taking frequent trips to beach or capital. Many of these guys with SUVs are drving their wife's smaller cars. hahahaha.
AZB

Having a steady girlfriend can save us a bundle!!!!

Nothing like a bottle from the liquor store and a movie with your honey!!!!!

In NY, the same goes. More and more less people are going out. The scene is getting very old and I am in the club promoting business.

papinice88

Jul 20, 2007
It looks like to me that the Dominican -york is good for the economy in Santiago these DYR go there for 2 weeks and spent more money then any one there can
the yorks are needed there to stimulate the dominican economy i know the DYK
bring competition but you have no worry they leave in two weeks and then you can shine again when they leave

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
It looks like to me that the Dominican -york is good for the economy in Santiago these DYR go there for 2 weeks and spent more money then any one there can
the yorks are needed there to stimulate the dominican economy i know the DYK
bring competition but you have no worry they leave in two weeks and then you can shine again when they leave

Yes but during their 2 weeks stay, how many kids are going to become addicted to drugs

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Yes but during their 2 weeks stay, how many kids are going to become addicted to drugs

I do not think that these Dominican York drug dealers go there for the two weeks to sell drugs.

They are taking a vacation after all.

They let their second in command and runners run the business while they are gone.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I do not think that these Dominican York drug dealers go there for the two weeks to sell drugs.

They are taking a vacation after all.

They let their second in command and runners run the business while they are gone.

Oh yes they sell drugs and they are mules too.

papinice88

Jul 20, 2007
The Yorks are not the ones that are costing the drug problem there they not brining in the drugs. the drugs is being bought in from another country and is not from the USA. and not all DYK are drug dealers i was not talking about the guys that azb talking about at that tribeca club. I am talking about the yorks that are hard working people that save there hard earn money for a 2 weeks vacation then spend it there like there is no tomorrow. I know they are competition for the people that live there and it might be annoying for professional people to see a reguler guy a factory worker could out shine a lawyer or doctor a true professional there but they are good for the economy and most of the yorks you see with there fade and baggy pants believe me 95% of them are hard working Dominican yorks not drug dealers but many are taxi drivers and restaurent workers jobs like that so long live the dominican york in the domninican republic they are needed there that is how the country is going to survive its been surviviing with the yorks since the 1965 revolution

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Yogism

"More and more less people are going out." Bronxboy.

Now THAT is unintentionally funny. The moniker is spot on.
As Yogi said, "Nobody goes to that place anymore, it's gotten too popular".:bunny:

Reactions: Bronxboy

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
The Yorks are not the ones that are costing the drug problem there they not brining in the drugs. the drugs is being bought in from another country and is not from the USA. and not all DYK are drug dealers i was not talking about the guys that azb talking about at that tribeca club. I am talking about the yorks that are hard working people that save there hard earn money for a 2 weeks vacation then spend it there like there is no tomorrow. I know they are competition for the people that live there and it might be annoying for professional people to see a reguler guy a factory worker could out shine a lawyer or doctor a true professional there but they are good for the economy and most of the yorks you see with there fade and baggy pants believe me 95% of them are hard working Dominican yorks not drug dealers but many are taxi drivers and restaurent workers jobs like that so long live the dominican york in the domninican republic they are needed there that is how the country is going to survive its been surviviing with the yorks since the 1965 revolution

Of course the drugs come from usually South America - D.R. - and then with mules to U.S.A., Europe, Canada...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Let me define the NY drug dealers:
the guys I am talking about are not your drug mules or drug dealers active in the trade. Most live here who have brought their money from USA, washed it, opened up a pantalla business and live here on full time basis. the difference is: they show off money. they drive new convertibles, expensive SUVs, hummers and sports cars. They are young and dangerous looking, some have scars on their faces and many simply look like barrio folks, zero education and lots of money to show off. They just don't fit in or blend in with the decent folks of santiago. they look dangerous. We are not in competition with them. they have their places and their girls from barrios or from wherever. It takes a certain type of a girl to go out with guys like them. many classy girls from good family would not be caught dead with them. these guys have many girlfriends, kids from many women and support 3 girls at a time, give them apartments, cars etc. They own discos where no one comes in, they have carwashes and own bancas (betting parlors). They are not your type who would run a classy business.
Now the visiting dominican yorks are not your average drug dealers. almost all are hard working folks from USA.
AZB

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
the guys I am talking about are not your drug mules or drug dealers active in the trade. Most live here who have brought their money from USA, washed it, opened up a pantalla business and live here on full time basis. the difference is: they show off money. they drive new convertibles, expensive SUVs, hummers and sports cars. They are young and dangerous looking, some have scars on their faces and many simply look like barrio folks, zero education and lots of money to show off. They just don't fit in or blend in with the decent folks of santiago. they look dangerous. We are not in competition with them. they have their places and their girls from barrios or from wherever. It takes a certain type of a girl to go out with guys like them. many classy girls from good family would not be caught dead with them. these guys have many girlfriends, kids from many women and support 3 girls at a time, give them apartments, cars etc. They own discos where no one comes in, they have carwashes and own bancas (betting parlors). They are not your type who would run a classy business.
Now the visiting dominican yorks are not your average drug dealers. almost all are hard working folks from USA.
AZB

Thanks for the clarification!!!!!

Interesting;)

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
AZB

Great definition, Dr. AZB.

May 12, 2005
Aftab, what do you think Santiago needs to help turn its economy around?? More businesses? Less? A rebirth of the zona francas???