Santiago bilingual/english schools

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
How great... You get a much better school and only pay 1/3 of the price... :alien:

Not sure if it is "better" but yes, better for me. I would rather my children speak and learn in Spanish than attempting to teach them in English by non-qualified personnel just so they can call themselves bi-lingual and charge you 4x the price.

It is my PERSONAL opinion that its all relative for elementary and middle schools. High school is where it counts, and as long as my kids get the basic subjects that they need to get into college in the US, I am fine with that, and I don't feel that the school needs to be "elite" to do that. Worse case scenario for my kids is a Community college in the states for 2 years and then transfer to a big University for 3rd and 4th year. I know 2 MDs who went to community college and then Duke University for the last 2 years undergraduate and medical school. Unless they tell you, noone knows that they started off in community college. Their undergraduate degrees say "DUKE UNIVERSITY", not "DUKE UNIVERSITY (but started off in Community College".
Lots of people are paying for a school's name and how many jeepetas are waiting in the child pick up line and there are perfectly good, decent Dominican schools in Santiago that get the job done...

IMO

SHALENA

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Not sure if it is "better" but yes, better for me. I would rather my children speak and learn in Spanish than attempting to teach them in English by non-qualified personnel just so they can call themselves bi-lingual and charge you 4x the price.

It is my PERSONAL opinion that its all relative for elementary and middle schools. High school is where it counts, and as long as my kids get the basic subjects that they need to get into college in the US, I am fine with that, and I don't feel that the school needs to be "elite" to do that. Worse case scenario for my kids is a Community college in the states for 2 years and then transfer to a big University for 3rd and 4th year. I know 2 MDs who went to community college and then Duke University for the last 2 years undergraduate and medical school. Unless they tell you, noone knows that they started off in community college. Their undergraduate degrees say "DUKE UNIVERSITY", not "DUKE UNIVERSITY (but started off in Community College".
Lots of people are paying for a school's name and how many jeepetas are waiting in the child pick up line and there are perfectly good, decent Dominican schools in Santiago that get the job done...

IMO

SHALENA

What if we could get a group of 10 expats with school age kids and took turns giving English classes, I'm sure we could get a full curriculum for some courses online, might be interesting considering we'd all be native English speakers and what is considered "bilingual" in DR, leaves a lot to be desired.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I heartily agree with the OP and Shalena that a solid Spanish school + English at home is preferable to a boutique 'bilingual' school where the parents drive fancy jeepetas and the teachers think they speak English. It's better not just in terms of quality but also the impact on your pocket!

How much of a basis do the children have in English? It may be enough just to speak to them in English at home - you are clearly fluent - and complement that with games, books and DVDs in English. One parent-one language works for most families raising children to be bilingual. There are lots of books and online resources but in the end it is mainly common sense.

My son was in a faux-bilingual school in SD for first grade. "The bird have wings to help him fly" was one gem from the teacher that stuck in my mind.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I heartily agree with the OP and Shalena that a solid Spanish school + English at home is preferable to a boutique 'bilingual' school where the parents drive fancy jeepetas and the teachers think they speak English. It's better not just in terms of quality but also the impact on your pocket!

How much of a basis do the children have in English? It may be enough just to speak to them in English at home - you are clearly fluent - and complement that with games, books and DVDs in English. One parent-one language works for most families raising children to be bilingual. There are lots of books and online resources but in the end it is mainly common sense.

My son was in a faux-bilingual school in SD for first grade. "The bird have wings to help him fly" was one gem from the teacher that stuck in my mind.

I currently have a 3 year old son and a bun in the oven, I was speaking hypothetically about 3 kids since that is what we are planning. I think I've made a mistake with my 3 year old since we only speak Spanish at home. Do you suggest I just start speaking English only to him to help him learn or actually sit down and teach him words etc?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I currently have a 3 year old son and a bun in the oven, I was speaking hypothetically about 3 kids since that is what we are planning. I think I've made a mistake with my 3 year old since we only speak Spanish at home. Do you suggest I just start speaking English only to him to help him learn or actually sit down and teach him words etc?

Since we have ben here my 2 year old speaks mostly in Spanish of course. He speaks English to me only. The Nanny/Housekeeper knows no English and spends the majority of time with him because I work but he watches certain cartoons in English (I have the Claro TV where you can change shows from Spanish to Engish) and he learns alot from that. Also, I try to say things twice to him, in each language "Que quieres, Victor? What do you want?", "Oh, you want juice. Ah, tu quieres jugo." He understands English perfectly though because in the States we mostly spoke English, so it may take a little time for your 3y.o. if he has had no exposure to the English language. This was funny...a little story...I took Victor to the dermatologist for a patch of dry skin that would not go away on the inside of his elbow. Anyway, I spoke to him the whole time in the waiting room in English and the doctor overheard so she assumed that he only spoke English. When we get in her office the convo goes like this :)
DOCTORA: "Victor, ummm, how...you...are?"
VICTOR: (Looks at her seriously)
DOCTORA: "OK, Victor, come...uh...sit down"
VICTOR: " Sientate TU!"

The doctor and I burst out laughing. But thats how it will be for a while because now, even when I speak to him in English, he answers in Spanish, but as long as I know that he understands the English for now, I'm fine because he's only 2.

SHALENA

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What if we could get a group of 10 expats with school age kids and took turns giving English classes, I'm sure we could get a full curriculum for some courses online, might be interesting considering we'd all be native English speakers and what is considered "bilingual" in DR, leaves a lot to be desired.

Would be interesting if people could find the time. Speaking of that I've always wondered what the bottom line is in these private colegios and if it would be a good business.

Assuming a gringo teacher is paid a salary and given room and board I would estimate this is worth US1500 monthly. Each child would need a minimum of 6 classes daily so a start up program would need 6 teachers min at a cost of $1500 each or $9000 per month. In turn, these 6 teachers can accommodate 6 classes x 25 students = 150 students per school year. Assuming they pay a minimum of US250 a month you have a gross income of $37,500 monthly. Taking into account overhead like administration, nurse, rent, liquidacion, regalia, a yearly bmw and trips to disney for the owner it looks like one would still have a workable business model, jeje. :)

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Would be interesting if people could find the time. Speaking of that I've always wondered what the bottom line is in these private colegios and if it would be a good business.

Assuming a gringo teacher is paid a salary and given room and board I would estimate this is worth US1500 monthly. Each child would need a minimum of 6 classes daily so a start up program would need 6 teachers min at a cost of $1500 each or $9000 per month. In turn, these 6 teachers can accommodate 6 classes x 25 students = 150 students per school year. Assuming they pay a minimum of US250 a month you have a gross income of $37,500 monthly. Taking into account overhead like administration, nurse, rent, liquidacion, regalia, a yearly bmw and trips to disney for the owner it looks like one would still have a workable business model, jeje. :)

Well I just meant having us, as native English speakers, take turns once every 10 days ( assuming we can get 10 people), to spend 2 hours with the students. I know I could find 2 hours every 10 days to make sure my kids receive proper English training.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Well I just meant having us, as native English speakers, take turns once every 10 days ( assuming we can get 10 people), to spend 2 hours with the students. I know I could find 2 hours every 10 days to make sure my kids receive proper English training.

Sounds like a good idea, maybe it would work out.

BTW, what did you think of my business model? :)

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Sounds like a good idea, maybe it would work out.

BTW, what did you think of my business model? :)

If you own the land and building, it's definitely viable. The only caveat is that you would need to be able to create some sort of pre-launch hype on the school, so you would have students lined up for when the school opened up. Otherwise you would have quite a few rough years since the number of students would be very low until you built up your reputation. There's no doubt about it, private colegios with "bilingual" teachers is an extremely profitable business venture and I would even go a bit further and raise the tuition cost 20-30%, there is something about Dominicans automatically assuming that price=quality, luckily I didn't inherit this trait.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If you own the land and building, it's definitely viable. The only caveat is that you would need to be able to create some sort of pre-launch hype on the school, so you would have students lined up for when the school opened up. Otherwise you would have quite a few rough years since the number of students would be very low until you built up your reputation. There's no doubt about it, private colegios with "bilingual" teachers is an extremely profitable business venture and I would even go a bit further and raise the tuition cost 20-30%, there is something about Dominicans automatically assuming that price=quality, luckily I didn't inherit this trait.

I expect it's "rentable" even if you are renting. Also, as far as lining up students that's easy, especially when you have contacts in the right area, ie I have good friends whose dream is to open up a colegio after having worked in the field for many years. All that is lacking is the initial capital (for rent deposit and to outfit bldg) and contacts with American Christian missionary groups.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ideally you should start doing this from birth but I suggest you introduce it now, and try and keep to English only. Children are remarkably adaptable - maybe start off treating it as a game until it becomes second nature. You could also read up on other families' experiences of one-parent one-language.
Is 'one parent, one language' the gold standard for bilingual families?
The Bilingual Family: A Handbook for Parents: Edith Harding-Esch, Philip Riley: 9780521004640: Amazon.com: Books

The Amazon link also brings up a lot of similar publications.

I always regret that my mother, whose mother tongue is Spanish, did not do this with me. She was concentrating on learning English at the time so she did what she thought was best. I grew up with a passive knowledge of Spanish and had to re-learn it as an adult. It is very good now, but it is not, and will never be, native speaker standard.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
It maybe not a good alternative for those who can afford it, but what about those who can't?

I did not mean it in a bad way, and fortunately I only have one :rolleyes: and I am sure you can make up for it at home (the discipline, English etc). I like the discipline and he really changed after he started at Hostos. When I take him to school he even pushes me, because he does not want to be late for school... :cheeky:

Beach Pilot

Feb 22, 2011
As soon as I can find a place here in Santiago I will let people know. The students here are not getting proper instruction. I am an American with a very good understanding of how to present correct English to both old and young. I have been instructing people for 40 years. Keep in mind, when building anything, without a proper foundation, it will fail. PM me if you know of a good location. Thanks