Santiago Catholic Churchs

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
CHIP, Buddy. The subtleties of the English language are lost upon you. When someone says something that is in fact true, like Dominicans are materialistic, it is not the pot calling the kettle black, it is simply a true statement. I, like you, also live with Dominicans and have for 10 years.

Remember, I am not the one who posted a picture of himself thinking he blended in with his classmates while sticking out like a sore thumb.

You are perpetually confused. You demonstrate from your posts that you don't have a leg to stand on to criticize anyone about their morals, Dominicans included.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Jeeeezz please this post was about curches in santiago.

Santiago is not at the beach and wearing long pants, you get used to it .

Now any more questions about the topic ?

I also recomend the cathedral infront of parque colon in the center, maybe easier to go then in los cerros , i ques when you go to santiago you more hang out in the centr of the city but i do recomend going to other places as well, santiago is a big city and outside of the ugly calle del sol it has a lot to offer . I also as being said before recomend going to centro leon jimenez. Ive seen the art, i especialy likes the museum. Old spanish coins etc. Nice to see

neural

Dec 12, 2012
Thanks for redirecting the post to it's original subject HC. I appreciate responses from all of you. HC, what is the name of
the cathedral in front of parque colon? Any suggestions for great restaurants around the monument area?

Thanks everyone!

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
neural:

Kukaramakara is a great restaurant around the monument area.
I like the food and the service.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
There is a famous restaurant left of the cathedral infront of parque colon, cant remember the name but for those who know wich i mean please post it :) thank you

I should know the name of the cathedral but honestly i cant remember, i just say la cathedral and people know what i mean :)

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
[H.concience]There is a famous restaurant left of the cathedral in front of parque colon, cant remember the name but for those who know what i mean please post it :) thank you

I believe you are talking about Pez Dorado..........

B in Santiago

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
If you are talking about the cathedral in Santo Domingo on the side of Parque Colon...it is called Santamaria la Menor ..No matter which catholic church you go to be aware that all are quite ghastly with people talking on cell phones, much chattering ,no reverance to the Cross or Crucifix or in some churches there is an plaster image of a saint above the commumion table.. people come and go therouht the mass...you wull hardly ever find a stoop of holy water at the entrance and nearly no one bows or genuflects or says the proper responses ...It is no surprise that only about 5% of catholics go to church. Everything is pitiful even compares to other latin catholic countries such as Costa Rica or Colombia , The worst thing is the homily ..which can be a mixture of total old fashioned threats togther with statements on not what to do .. Forget the text for the day . The masses here are just a complete disappointment ,,inmy opinion ..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i dunno. i found masses here a lot better than in poland. it helps not to understand everything that is being said, maybe. but DR churches are more welcoming and warmer. and maybe i was lucky because the preaching was also always pretty good and interesting. generally here there is more singing, and joyful songs too, not howling of the wolves you'd hear in poland. the best mass i have been to was in london and it was in latin. just pure, classic and simple liturgy. i understand why the church wanted to keep it that was, it's beautiful.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Man at my church you can only arrive by limousine in tuxedo and a bowtie.. In La Trinitaria hidden in the most beautiful vacant condominium highrise. (Invite only by a current "member")

neural

Dec 12, 2012
Yea, Kipling333 this is good stuff to know. I thought it would be cool to experience the Latin Mass, having no idea of what
to expect. That's part of what I like about traveling in the DR, not knowing really what to expect from the Dominican people.

dv8: you seem to be relating the same kind of thing I'm looking to experience there, so thanks for your comments. I remember
the Latin mass as child, and even though I'm not a hard core Catholic or fluent in the Spanish I thought it would be cool
to experience this cultural event.

I have a great memory of walking through the barrio with my Dominicana friends and seeing a store front style church, full
singing, dancing speaking in the tongue Evangelical Presbyterians. It was awesome. Next door to the church was a barber
shop / coffin parlor.

May 12, 2005
I don't get all the consternation about dressing neatly for church. Would one go to a business meeting in ratty old shorts and flip flops? Well church is your business meeting with God. Also, I like the more formal aspect of DR society and culture. Places like the US have gotten way to casual. What's wrong with dressing like a man and not a little boy or bum when you leave the house?

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Man at my church you can only arrive by limousine in tuxedo and a bowtie.. In La Trinitaria hidden in the most beautiful vacant condominium highrise. (Invite only by a current "member")
Saya:
Uaoooo...:surprised... What kind of church is that?