Santiago

Apr 7, 2014
Yea, villa olga has a lot of new residences almost all empty.

I think you would like areas like Metropolitan Avenue, it is a chic area and expensive. Dude told me 2br for $800US.

I had a place on Urbanizacion Hernandez 3br, 3ba for $10k mensual.
They have a whole lot of new construction on Av JP Duarte past Union Medica on both sides of the street. Also new American style residences on the Don Pedro side

Alas

May 3, 2015
Holy cow those prices are low! Of course I expect to pay extra $200-300 for renting it only for three months, but they are still cheaper than SD!

I'm ambivalent what to do, I initially thought to contact an agent, have a few apartments (or houses) lined up and go there to a hotel, start seeing apartments and rent one. BUT with four kids that's gonna be hard, then my husband, ever the business man, told me that we could wait until December and whatever is for rent we offer a couple hundred more and we should be able to get it, which I'm sure it could work, but what if it doesn't? Plus dealing directly with owners makes me nervous, my dad has heard some stories of the "tigres" selling houses to like three different people, lol.

We also have a friend who goes to Punta Cana often and rents an apartment, not in the touristic area, where the locals live, he sponsors a baseball team there. My husband is going to meet with him this week, but, at least what I've read, Punta Cana is not that big, and we really want a tutor to help us with home schooling (and Spanish) that's why we need a big city.

Alas

May 3, 2015
Yea, villa olga has a lot of new residences almost all empty.

I think you would like areas like Metropolitan Avenue, it is a chic area and expensive. Dude told me 2br for $800US.

I had a place on Urbanizacion Hernandez 3br, 3ba for $10k mensual.
They have a whole lot of new construction on Av JP Duarte past Union Medica on both sides of the street. Also new American style residences on the Don Pedro side

Is that $10K dollars!

Alas

May 3, 2015
Oh, about the bedrooms, three would be great, since my dad will be visiting, but if no go we could do with two, the three little ones start the night in their beds and we wake up in a clown car everybody squished together , anyways.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
and what did you expect ? :) This is 3rd world country, not North America or London, like some of the posters here seem to believe...:pPP
Santo Domingo is also not expensive, -+30 % more what is in Santiago
Holy cow those prices are low! Of course I expect to pay extra $200-300 for renting it only for three months, but they are still cheaper than SD!

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
The "American style" apartment buildings that have been built over the last couple of years aren't $500/mo. More like 25-30k pesos a month.

And if you're talking about the nice torres in La Trinitaria, you're not getting anything under $1300/mo USD. Pretty big difference in who your neighbors will be in La Trinitaria vs Cerro Alto.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I live in el Dorado II in STI. Cost for house, elec, water,cable is 735usd. Safe, friendly, small and nice park, easy access to everything. Been here 2 years.

Check supercasas.com for rentals.

Alas

May 3, 2015
I think I found the perfect contact.

My dad has a couple, they are his patients, who are Dominicans, and travel often there (reside in Miami) and their bussiness is actually contacting vacation rentals (apparently traveling to dr from Miami has been a big thing for years)

My dad has helped them for years (like when they had no insurance he used to see them for free and give them meds samples) so they are eager to help us without charging us. Yayyyyyyy. :)

Still not sure where we will be staying, it seems every week we change our mind. Now we are thinking that it would be better for the boys to don't do a full blown immersion with the locals (specially our teen who is going through "that" phase) so a neighborhood whith sone foreigners wouldn't be such a bad idea.

We'll see.