Santiano Child street worker

D

Drak

I donj't get it. Why hassle the kid? Why should she think he should speak English? Why doesn't she show her face? Shame? Is that supposed to be Santiago in the title?

Click on the video link, and then click on the 'YouTube' icon in the bottom right corner.

You'll be sent directly to the YouTube channel, where there is an explanation as to why she is doing this...

Here is a small snippet:

I have always wanted to have the opportunity to sit down and get to know them a little bit more to share with you, and these two boys were super nice! We were able to share some more time both before and after filming as well. If you know me by now, you may know that I think everyone has a story to tell.

D

Derfish

Click on the video link, and then click on the 'YouTube' icon in the bottom right corner.

You'll be sent directly to the YouTube channel, where there is an explanation as to why she is doing this...

Here is a small snippet:

I have always wanted to have the opportunity to sit down and get to know them a little bit more to share with you, and these two boys were super nice! We were able to share some more time both before and after filming as well. If you know me by now, you may know that I think everyone has a story to tell.

But the woman who cannot even spell Santiago thinks a 12 year old kid should speak English. Kinda dumb right?
And she wants to expose the kids to ridicule, but won't even show her own self for shame.
Derfish

S

SantiagoDR

But the woman who cannot even spell Santiago thinks a 12 year old kid should speak English. Kinda dumb right?
And she wants to expose the kids to ridicule, but won't even show her own self for shame.
Derfish

While the video is playing, click on the "info" icon at the top right of the video and you will see a picture of her.

C

CFA123

Her only motive is to ridicule a kid. Can't imagine any thing else.
Derfish

Not the most professional interview, but she elicits some enlightening responses.

1) the ages of the kids are 12 & 16 (if I recall correctly... watched it yesterday)
2) that they’re there every day and see it as their job, working 3-11pm
3) both advise they are in school
4) they each have a home with working parent(s)
5) they say they earn 200-350 pesos a day depending on what they sell
6) they both say they use the money to buy breakfast/food at school
7) one talks about it not being as safe at night because the police and older vendors sometimes come and take their money
8) they feel she is safe because of Politur
9) they first say she’d be safe at night by herself, but then pretty much say she’d be crazy to be out there alone at night.

There may be other points that were made, but I was just listening casually as I was doing other things.

That she asks if they speak English or are taught English in school.... I don’t see that as an odd question or one designed to humiliate the kids.

Again, amateur interview, but they give some enlightening answers, at least as relates to their personal situation.

It may be enlightening to some, who wonder about the plight of kids they see selling things on the street.

My only question would be why she didn’t provide subtitles or translation... as I suspect most of her target audience doesn’t speak Spanish.

C

CFA123

Also, encouraging that the older kid says he wants to be an industrial engineer. The younger one said he’d like to be a pilot one day. It hurts knowing the odds are against them, but may they both, somehow, reach their goals.

D

Derfish

Also, encouraging that the older kid says he wants to be an industrial engineer. The younger one said he’d like to be a pilot one day. It hurts knowing the odds are against them, but may they both, somehow, reach their goals.

I think unlike the woman doing the interview the kids are grounded in reality.