Santo Domingo Airport to Sosúa

Status
Not open for further replies.

rover

Aug 19, 2007
Called Carribe Tours which is always an other world experience and they say the last bus is at 7 pm and that the 6:30 bus to Sosua is an express.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Called Carribe Tours which is always an other world experience and they say the last bus is at 7 pm and that the 6:30 bus to Sosua is an express.

Thanks for the feedback.

There is a good chance your friends can make the 6:30 express. I know the first reaction by some will be use Uber from the airport to Caribe Tours bus depot. I would go for a reserved airport taxi as this can easily save 20 minutes of trying to get an Uber. You can reserve a taxi online and the cost from SDQ to Santo Domingo Centro is $33. Yes, more than Uber but the few extra bucks and peace of mind will be worth it.

Print out taxi reservation and look for a driver holding a name card.

https://sichala.com/

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
"At the terminal.. I first changed $100, it's on the right (they gave a good rate there).
I then bought my ticket (they only take Pesos)"

???? The exchange rate at the airports are amongst the worst in the country (same in all other countries I have visited). The taxis are happy to accept U.S. dollars.

rover

Aug 19, 2007
Thanks for the feedback.

There is a good chance your friends can make the 6:30 express. I know the first reaction by some will be use Uber from the airport to Caribe Tours bus depot. I would go for a reserved airport taxi as this can easily save 20 minutes of trying to get an Uber. You can reserve a taxi online and the cost from SDQ to Santo Domingo Centro is $33. Yes, more than Uber but the few extra bucks and peace of mind will be worth it.

Print out taxi reservation and look for a driver holding a name card.

Have you or anybody else actually used this service ? For this situation it does sound like a good idea but with the D.R. we know things are never as simple as they should be.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Without even calling there are always Taxi's when you exit that can take you immediately. Just a question of price.

rover

Aug 19, 2007
Without even calling there are always Taxi's when you exit that can take you immediately. Just a question of price.

Anyone know the price ( what it should be ) from the airport to the Carribe Tours bus station ?

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
When dealing with the Taxi drivers the price will always depends on your Spanish and negotiation skills. 1500 pesos "should" get you there. It's a pain so I don't even deal with the taxi drivers anymore, I just go right upstairs to arrivals and grab Uber, they pick up in front of JetBlue. The longest I've had to wait is five minutes and the rate is usually around 800 pesos with no nonsense involved.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Have you or anybody else actually used this service ? For this situation it does sound like a good idea but with the D.R. we know things are never as simple as they should be.

Yes rover, I actually gave up on Uber at the airport and switched over to reserve a Sichala airport taxi online. I don't know if Uber has improved at the airport but for awhile the drivers did not want to do airport pickups or tried to scam you because the Uber rate from the airport is way too low.

For the few extra $$$ compared to Uber I like the hassle free arrival and a reserved taxi waiting. All a matter of personal choice.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks bigbird I may just give them a try.

Just go online and answer 17 quick questions, name, flight, day, etc.

Print out the reservation to bring with you just in case.

I used to do Uber but after a few disappointments, a scam or two, even once had Uber driver ask for gas money because he was unaware the trip would be to the city. I still use Uber exclusively in town but $10-$12, even $15 more isn't worth the hassle. I like walking down the SDQ celebrity runway and before I can walk out the door a driver has my luggage and in two minutes I am in the cab leaving the airport ............................. and all hassle free, no negotiating as price is set in stone.

Luggage gets put in the vehicle, taken out the vehicle upon arrival so that is a little perk.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Alright, so my family never comes and visits me 'cause it's just too damn expensive to fly into POP (Or, they don't like me). Spirit (I know) has pretty quick and cheap flights from MSP to SDQ, I just need to get them from the airport to Sosua.

CaribeExpress has buses that leave from Santo Domingo hourly to Sosua, and an express that leaves 3 times a day. What I am having trouble with is the airport to the bus station. On their website, it says they have an airport bus station, but I am unable to select an itinerary from the airport to Sosua. I can from Santo Domingo to Sosua though.

Can all ya all help me out. This is what I need:

Step by step instructions from the airport to Sosua!

How to you get from the airport to the bus station?
How do you know what bus to get on?
Are there any transfers at all, if so, how and where?
Where does the bus stop in Sosua (Los Charimicos, right?)
How long does it take, what time should I pick them up?

And, the process in reverse.

Thanks!

Made the trip back and forth a few times.
Airport to center of town (Santo Domingo)
can be a little tricky especially if you're not
familiar with the area.

As a traveler/ visitor to paradise, I recommend a
taxi from the airport (for the sake of time and
convience) directly to CT. Price wise, no idea, last
cab I took from SDQ to CT was back in 2016.

However once at CT the buses run direct to Sosua.
Arrival times very, average trip (2 stops) stopping
in Santiago about 2 and half hours.

If they catch a 4pm bus you can expect them to
arrive in Sosua around 6:30pm. As far as when you
need to be in Charamicos to pick them up, Try to
match my guesstimated time of arrival with the
next departure running from Sosua to Santo Domingo
which appears to be 6:20pm according to the CT website.

Hope this helps.... Happy travels.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
CORRECTION. I believe its closer to 4 hours
not 2 and half from SD to Sosua on CT Bus.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you catch a "milk run" Caribe Tours bus it can be a lot longer than that. If all goes well, closer to 5 hours SD --> Sosua. If it doesn't go well, the longest it's taken me is 7 hrs - thought I'd died and was in purgatory.

Going into Santiago for the two stops there can take forever due to traffic. The stop in La Vega is always irritating.

Metro bus has fewer stops along the way and is generally a better experience but does not run as frequently and Metro has in the past cancelled a scheduled bus to Sosua without notice requiring another taxi trip to the CT station rather than hanging around the metro station for a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.