Santo Domingo Bypass is OPEN

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We will try it out tomorrow, perfect timing.

DR1 news:

Government announces completion of final stretch of the Santo Domingo Bypass
The Ministry of Public Works announces the formal opening of the Santo Domingo bypass. It connects the south, western and northern parts of the country with the east, without having to pass through the congestioned city center. The new section of the Circunvalación de Santo Domingo is a 20-km four-lane (two in each direction) highway designed for speeds of 100 km/h. It goes from Haina Port in southwestern Santo Domingo to the Autopista del Nordeste, connecting to Las Americas International Airport and the Multimodal Caucedo Port, an overall 53.5 km highway.

Circunvalación de Santo Domingo connects the Las Americas and Multimodal Caucedo Port. It is designed for speeds of 100 km/h.

The full name of the highway is the Circunvalación Santo Domingo Professor Juan Bosch.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

DR1 news:

The Ministry of Public Works announces the formal opening of the Santo Domingo bypass. It connects the south, western and northern parts of the country with the east, without having to pass through the congestioned city center. The new section of the Circunvalación de Santo Domingo is a 20-km four-lane (two in each direction) highway designed for speeds of 100 km/h. It goes from Haina Port in southwestern Santo Domingo to the Autopista del Nordeste, connecting to Las Americas International Airport and the Multimodal Caucedo Port, an overall 53.5 km highway.

Circunvalación de Santo Domingo connects the Las Americas and Multimodal Caucedo Port. It is designed for speeds of 100 km/h.

The full name of the highway is the Circunvalación Santo Domingo Professor Juan Bosch.

FINALLY!!!

The first section was completed what ? 6 years ago? They need to make sure ALL those trucks that currently pass through the city, many on the Malecon use the bypass (not sure why they wouldn't do so but who knows).

That is Great News!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
So it is now complete to the east past Villa Mella? We took it once not knowing it stopped at Villa Mella. What a nightmare!

If it's fully open, this is great news!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

DR1 news:

Which part is new? I have been using that into Haina for some time. Is there a map of the whole route ?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Which part is new? I have been using that into Haina for some time. Is there a map of the whole route ?
From Villa Mella to the Samana highway.

Google Earth shows the construction which has supposedly been completed.

Fantastic news!

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Sadly I don't think this is going to achieve very much, at least not yet. To get onto the beltway, you need to know that you take the marginal at the peaje entering Santo Domingo, which is very easy to miss, and then take the Samana highway, pay two? tolls, then finally get onto the beltway. If you're going to Santiago for example, there are two further tolls on the beltway, then another toll on the Duarte Autopista as you leave Santo Domingo. A lot of tolls, and unless you have a very good GPS or you know the roads very well, it's very hard to miss.

When and if they do finish the final stretch, to connect directly to the Autopista del Este at Boca Chica / Caucedo, then I think it will be more used.

I also think that it would be sensible to make cars pay but let the trucks use the beltway for free. Or make the beltway free for everyone, but then charge a toll to enter the city. Those two would definitely reduce the amount of trucks passing through the city. But I guess they will never happen as they are far too logical and sensible.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
IMo, the cost is mitigated by avoiding the intense, frustrating traffic through Santo Domingo.

Agreed about trucks using free, or a greatly reduced toll.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
IMo, the cost is mitigated by avoiding the intense, frustrating traffic through Santo Domingo.

Agreed about trucks using free, or a greatly reduced toll.

I'm with you. I'd rather cruise and pay the price than stop and go through SD. No brainer.

As far as people missing it is concerned, I don't think that's a concern for folks who use it frequently.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Sadly I don't think this is going to achieve very much, at least not yet. To get onto the beltway, you need to know that you take the marginal at the peaje entering Santo Domingo, which is very easy to miss, and then take the Samana highway, pay two? tolls, then finally get onto the beltway..

i agree that they need to make big improvements to the southern entrance to the Samana Highway, or at least to the signage. It's so easy to miss if you are not familiar with it. Actually there is only one toll before the beltway.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

DR1 news:

Did you take it? What is your assessment?

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
We did not, it was 6.30 am, just after curfew, and the roads were empty, we flew through the capital in less than half the normal time to airport.

I was going to say, the time of travel is important. Coming back from the beaches on a weekend afternoon, east to west on feb. 27 all the way to the flag plaza and down Luperon, has never been that bad. Even when someone stalls on the elevated section after the Osama, I'd prefer it to going all the way around the city.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
From Villa Mella to the Samana highway.

Google Earth shows the construction which has supposedly been completed.

Fantastic news!
Checked Google Earth. Pretty cool. The ring road bypass looks amazing. Have they built more from the current termination points shown on Google Earth?

First I had heard of this road. Thanks DR1!....again!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I finally got to use the bypass today.

Coming from the north coast to Sto Dom via the toll road both Google Maps and Waze sent us to it on
our way to IKea.....
about 10 minutes shorter they said but waaay less frustration
scenic and traffic free.....100 pesos toll

Nice way to travel....
we did one each way - city & bypass....... no comparison

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I finally got to use the bypass today.

Coming from the north coast to Sto Dom via the toll road both Google Maps and Waze sent us to it on
our way to IKea.....
about 10 minutes shorter they said but waaay less frustration
scenic and traffic free.....100 pesos toll

Nice way to travel....
we did one each way - city & bypass....... no comparison
Oh I agree, worth every peso. We live past the beginning at Haina, so for us it’s a dream.