Santo Domingo carnival

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
Reporting live en la vega
6f1c137437e87ecf43c104159c272dfa.heic

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Fair enough Caonabo. I appreciate your civil and courteous response. I don't buy it however.

I did not see what I was selling you. What is it you would like to hear, since the truth is not good enough for you? Tell me eastcoastmike, where is it that you originate from? Secondly, where is the Utopia you currently reside in? Thirdly, is all your animosity towards the RD based on the Carnaval experience, or due to other matters of a more personal nature? This uneducated, corrupt person, who resides in a toilet bowl would like to know.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Roba la Gallina

OK, time for Carnaval fun stuff............

2ztafif.jpg

Origin

“Roba la Gallina” is a famous character found in every city of the Dominican Republic during this massive celebration. According to the Dominican “Veganos” (people from La Vega) the character originates from the Haitian occupation of the Dominican Republic from 1822 to 1844.

At that time, or so the story goes, people who were caught stealing their neighbors or in fact anybody’s chickens were punished by having chicken feathers stuck to their bodies and were forced to walk like that in public.

Costume and role

Robalagallina

The “Roba la Gallina” / chicken thief character is typically a man dressed as a woman – presumably meant to be a woman who steals chickens – but before she is caught and punished.

Dressed in colorful, flamboyant dresses, with exaggerated hips and make-up, the “Roba la Gallina” usually carries a big purse filled with candies to through into the gathered crowd. The purse symbolises where the woman would hide her stolen chicken.

The “Roba la Gallina” is one of the most popular and funny of all the Carnaval Dominicano characters. They dance and shake their large bottoms, singing “ti-ti manatí, ton ton, molondrón, roba la gallina, palo con ella!”

Raudy Torres, the Dominican Republic’s most famous ”Robalagallina”

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Perhaps they should send the Nazi hunters from the history channel. Look for some real old guy smiling as Der Fuhrer passes. :alien:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It is all within the eyes of the beholder. See what you want to see. Have a good afternoon, and enjoy the Carnaval when it comes to town.

i just wonder if there are people who are charged with the decisions regarding the acceptability of floats. surely these events have organizers, and maybe said organizers have prior knowledge regarding the composition of the floats. given the negative press which was received by the carnival a few years back, because of the offensive KKK float, why would the organizers allow for a nazi float, replete with a Hitler impostor? surely they must have considered the possibility of the offense it might bring to certain specific segments of the onlookers?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Perhaps they should send the Nazi hunters from the history channel. Look for some real old guy smiling as Der Fuhrer passes. :alien:

They existed in Santo Domingo, San Jose de Ocoa, Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, and of all places Sosua. I do not know how many still exist due to age, but relatives most likely do. Same applies throughout South America. A different version of "don't ask, don't tell". Don't shoot the messenger.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
No political correctness. OK :devious: Dominicans do what Dominicans do. I am not offended. I think they just don't give a damn about it. Its carnival I guess, all fantasy mixed in with a bit of history ugly or not. I truly believe there is no intent to lend any support to these organizations. Looking for a shock value I think. I remember a platoon of SWAT looking guys passing being led by an officer with a chiwawa, Ha Ha Crazy happy caos.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
They existed in Santo Domingo, San Jose de Ocoa, Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, and of all places Sosua. I do not know how many still exist due to age, but relatives most likely do. Same applies throughout South America. A different version of "don't ask, don't tell". Don't shoot the messenger.

You know I said that in jest. But I have no cause to believe that may not be true.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
For all of those looking for a reason to besmirch the RD further, I will be hosting a private beachfront party following the Santo Domingo Carnaval festival. Hopefully we can discuss these matters together, in person. All the food you can eat. All the spirits you can drink. All the women you can dance with. You are all graciously invited. The date is 30 Feb. If you are interested, please RSVP. Enjoy the remainder of your Sunday.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
The AMET didn't stop them to ask if they had residency or a valid license. They did stop me to ask if I had guns. No guns, only a big yeti cup full of hielo, macorix coconut run y jugo de piña. I'm still here legally for another 2 weeks, and even when it started to rain, I'm loving life here.

No water pressure at home, thank God I have a Tinaco even if it only provides enough pressure to shower with a cup of water, and vandals burned both of our plastic trash barrels but I told the building manager I would call the policía when she fixed the water pump... Life in RD is just grand! (🤙 de verdad, estoy feliz, aquí estoy en vivo, y afuera la pais, vivo pero muriendo lento)

pjpine

Feb 18, 2018
THERE IS A BIG BILLBOARD IN SANTO DOMINGO THAT LISTS FEB 25. WHICH IS A SUNDAY SO I GUESS THAT IS IT. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET INFO IN ADVANCE FOR THIS EVENT FOR 3 YEARS. NOT SURE WHAT THE MIN. OF TOURISM DOES. THEY NEED TO PUBLICIZE DATES ALMOST YEAR IN ADVANCE IF THEY WANT TO ATTRACT FOREIGNERS TO THIS EVENT. THAT BEING SAID, THE LAYOUT OF THE PARADE IS WITHOUT SECURITY BLEACHERS . SO IF YOU GO , HOLD ON TO YOUR CAMERA ! ITS NOT DANGEROUS BUT THERE ARE PETTY THIEVES AROUND. 99% OF PEOPLE ARE GREAT , FRIENDLY & HAVING A GOOD TIME. THE COSTUMES ARE FANTASTIC.