Santo Domingo is EXPENSIVE - Living Expenses for Past 3 months

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Sorry but I tried to answer the specific point. The American School offers fully bi-lingual education with small class sizes and personalized tuition probably far superior to many US public schools in NYC.
I agree with the comments of the last poster that adaptations are necessary. Prime US Aberdeen Angus steaks cost up to 20$ a pound in the US NYC butcher and a steak sandwich in NYC take - away 12$. If you can find similar here it is more expensive. But pork, local beef etc. is far cheaper.

Equally if you can find red sapper fish fillets in NYC it is $18-20 a pound. in SD a fraction of that.
In fact Dorado fillet in DR can cost as little as $3 a pound.
Local prawns can be from $2.50 a pound but atlantic prawns $10 a pound.
pi2

I meant dislike.

Do you realize that people wich spend 30-40,000 USD per year for their children private school, probably don't pay rent in NYC and probably own also that freakin condo in long island (the hamptons) or best rent a house in LI for the summer for 10k a month to then only spend the week end there (know a couple). They also have a full time help and so on.

So the prices you describe in SD are surely much cheaper, but I think you are not comparing them with what Dominicans with that level of wealth would spend.

Between us, never had corned beed in my life and don't plan to :)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Sorry but I tried to answer the specific point. The American School offers fully bi-lingual education with small class sizes and personalized tuition probably far superior to many US public schools in NYC.
I agree with the comments of the last poster that adaptations are necessary. Prime US Aberdeen Angus steaks cost up to 20$ a pound in the US NYC butcher and a steak sandwich in NYC take - away 12$. If you can find similar here it is more expensive. But pork, local beef etc. is far cheaper.

Equally if you can find red sapper fish fillets in NYC it is $18-20 a pound. in SD a fraction of that.
In fact Dorado fillet in DR can cost as little as $3 a pound.
Local prawns can be from $2.50 a pound but atlantic prawns $10 a pound.
pi2

Again, depends. I used to have a food business. Because of that, I can buy wholesale at the Restaurant Depot where I can get ex. jumbo prawns for 3.99 a pound. :)

Last edited:

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Sorry - I am just trying to inject some realism. Setting up and living in NYC is not cheap if you want to live up to the status expected by the empoyer etc.
Yes, in the UK when I left 1 killo ( 2.2 lbs ) of tropical prawns was $18$
I quoted some prices supported by links of NYC prices.
One problem is that people remember the prices in US of 10 years ago ; the time they left the US.
Then compare a country district in US with the Capital in the DR.

Anyhow I stop now: I give examples many supported by links and this is also supported by international comparisons looked up from good sources.

I have done my best to give specific examples requested.

pi2

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
It is a never ending debate. That is why it is so hard to compare budget even within the same city. Personaly, I have a large 2 bedroom in NYC and do not pay anything close to 3000 USD (new building with amenities, couple blocks from Central Park).

Again, Fresh direct is no indication of "regular prices". it is a delivery supermarket (which I use from times to times, soooo convenient ! ), but I am aware that I pay a premium for that convenience. Also,I know that I spend more than the average joe on grocery shopping because I buy a lot of imported stuff from France. I don't eat as I ate back home, but there are a few things I can't go without. For example, if I were a wine drinker it is obvious that I would pay more if I drank exclusively French wines as opposed to California wines.

This is simple, wherever you go, if you want to live the same way as you did back in Europe or the US, it is going to cost more or less the same. This holds true for Panama city, Santo Domingo, Bangkok or Dakar.

The major difference is the quality of life.

About the wine, I don't agree with you. There are wines from $ to $$$$$$$$$ from both France and California. I'm a wine drinker, I dont drink piquette though. From personal experience (lotssssss of wine drinking experience in the D.R.), I think, in the D.R., the French wines are not more expensive than the Californian wines. Lets compare apples with apples though.
The place I liked to buy wine was at the National in Casa de Campo (second floor).

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You can buy "Hellman's", and "Kraft" mayonaise here cheaper than local "mayo".
Same goes for imported beef and pork! USA bacon and hotdogs are cheaper than local,and faaaaaaaaaaaaar superior!
I KNOW food prices!
I shop for 10 hungry mouths every day!
I shop in Boston several months a year,Boston food/restaurant prices are much lower than NYC.
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I compare:
Rents - many approx 1/2 equyivalent in NYC where a studio can cost $2000 a month plus.
Maid services - about 1/5 to 1/3 NYC.
NYC Packages start at 65$ ( = 2,500 pesos )
Today's Maid - Serving the NY Metro Area
Hair stylist 1/3 NYC
Taxi 1/4 of NYC
Fresh food - bought locally to an appartment in good area of NYC freshdirect prices are not totally out of line.
Double or more in many cases than DR.
Education , private , 1/3 or less NYC prices.
Costs in NYC 30-40, 000 per year.
$30,000 a Year: New York City Schools Charge Ivy League Tuition - Bloomberg
Cost in Santo Domingo 10,000$ or less a year.
Eating out 1/2 NYC prices. 100$ a person with wine etc. is common in NYC.
BLT Prime Dinner Menu - New York City
Week-end away in country - DR Hotel prices and appartment short term appartment rental prices at all levels are not expensive compared with Long Island etc.
Waterfront Long Island condo $1,600 a week.
Long Island Holiday Rentals: Reviews for Rental Homes, Condos and Apartments in Long Island - TripAdvisor
Sailboat excursion 1/2 of NYC.
Bottle of rum NYC 24$ plus.
Like in New York shopping carefully decreases prices.
I agree that bought in bulk corned beef and potatoes are cheaper in New York.

pi2
I'll bet I can find a studio in SD for $2000 also.
Care to compare the price of Fruit of the Loom boxer shorts or the price of a decent pair of shoes or the price of an automobile? Just a few items apples to apples.

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
My monthly expenses in NYC (inwood)
Office is in Staten Island and Secaucus NJ

Rent 1654
Util/cell/cable 390
Costco ~130
Gas/Tolls 650 (most miles/tolls reimbursed)
Biweekly supermarket 180
Meat market ~140
Car Payment 440
Car insurance 132
After school 60 (weekly)
Eating out 4X2 160
Movies theater 80

Catholic school for my son was 625 last year including after school. Wife decided to switch to public school this year.
It was going to 1250 for my son and daughter.

Will definitely move to Bergen county NJ in the next two years

Bonao99

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
...USA bacon and hotdogs are cheaper than local,and faaaaaaaaaaaaar superior!
I KNOW food prices!

Chris, clearly you don't live in Cabarete, where hotdogs go for $6 bucks a pop (plus 26% tax). And the way I understand it, they sell out within minutes. It is a very special event, like the Sosua Jazz festival. They setup a velvet rope, and expats line up for blocks in hopes of being selected by one of the bouncers to go in and purchase one. :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I wish someone in NYC would translate the OP's costs into dollars if one lived in NYC. Don't forget the private school for the kids, college course for the parents and the maid.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
About the wine, I don't agree with you. There are wines from $ to $$$$$$$$$ from both France and California. I'm a wine drinker, I dont drink piquette though. From personal experience (lotssssss of wine drinking experience in the D.R.), I think, in the D.R., the French wines are not more expensive than the Californian wines. Lets compare apples with apples though.
The place I liked to buy wine was at the National in Casa de Campo (second floor).

Point taken. As you see, I am no wine drinker (unbelievable for someone who grew up in France :) )

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Point taken. As you see, I am no wine drinker (unbelievable for someone who grew up in France :) )

You said it. Je n'en croyais pas mes yeux lorsque j'ai lu that you were no wine drinker. Par contre, il n'est jamais trop tard pour bien faire:)

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
You can buy "Hellman's", and "Kraft" mayonaise here cheaper than local "mayo".
Same goes for imported beef and pork! USA bacon and hotdogs are cheaper than local,and faaaaaaaaaaaaar superior!
I KNOW food prices!
I shop for 10 hungry mouths every day!
I shop in Boston several months a year,Boston food/restaurant prices are much lower than NYC.
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Also keep in mind it is not at all unusual for a company to license its brand in a particular country, and have it produced locally. Kraft does that an awful lot, as do most beverage companies (which is why there are 100 different flavors of "original Coca-Cola" around the world.)

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Thank you JoyKirk and Not lurking finally someone on this site has a brain. My entire point was I know a lot of cities and talk to a lot of people from other countries, but the expenses I was seeing was mind blowing. Take for instance Jirty05 2000USD a month on food in DR. This my opinion many things and people in DR is bull****. Listen a brand new Escalade 2011 still in the wrapper in Chicago is 75,000USD, but with rebates and discount one may pay around 60,000 to 65,000USD out the door depending on the dealer needing to make a sell. Now to all of you so called DR lovers I visited my wife this past July and saw my SUV on a lot on Venezuela ave next to I think Costa Rica. This my model was a 2010 with around 70,000 something miles, guess what the price was are you ready 110,000USD and the body had a couple of dings. Let me say this I have visited friends in Mexico, Costa Rica Panama, Colombia,and of course PR, and I had profound conversations with expats in these countries, but it is something about expats in DR I can't put my finger on. A lot of you talk about the NC, no man with any substance can live in a area where you see men in 50's and 60's walking with girls no older then 14 or 15yrs old Sosua is a toilet. I love the DR but that country is full of ****. How to all of you expats do not understand you will pay double the price for everything because that is part of the culture expats are walking $$$ signs GO BAMA ROLE DAMN TIDE!!!!

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My electric bill is $400 US a month,gasoline is over $5 US dollars a month,our food costs (super market) is about $1,500 US
dollars a month,these are NOT because I am an "expat"!
Mosts of my costs are fixed,and not dependent upon my natonality!
It does cost more to live here than in Boston!
Many costs in the US are covered by taxes.(EDUCATION,MEDICAL,ETC.)
Taxes here are very high,but services are poor,or not existant!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thank you JoyKirk and Not lurking finally someone on this site has a brain. My entire point was I know a lot of cities and talk to a lot of people from other countries, but the expenses I was seeing was mind blowing. Take for instance Jirty05 2000USD a month on food in DR. This my opinion many things and people in DR is bull****. Listen a brand new Escalade 2011 still in the wrapper in Chicago is 75,000USD, but with rebates and discount one may pay around 60,000 to 65,000USD out the door depending on the dealer needing to make a sell. Now to all of you so called DR lovers I visited my wife this past July and saw my SUV on a lot on Venezuela ave next to I think Costa Rica. This my model was a 2010 with around 70,000 something miles, guess what the price was are you ready 110,000USD and the body had a couple of dings. Let me say this I have visited friends in Mexico, Costa Rica Panama, Colombia,and of course PR, and I had profound conversations with expats in these countries, but it is something about expats in DR I can't put my finger on. A lot of you talk about the NC, no man with any substance can live in a area where you see men in 50's and 60's walking with girls no older then 14 or 15yrs old Sosua is a toilet. I love the DR but that country is full of ****. How to all of you expats do not understand you will pay double the price for everything because that is part of the culture expats are walking $$$ signs GO BAMA ROLE DAMN TIDE!!!!

Another loco el pipo.

I am living here in the DR on less than a third of what I did in the States and with an additional child. Certainly we are not eating out as much or going to the movies but we are not far off our living standard in the States.

I see now a lot of people here on this forum don't have a clue, ie trying to convince us a similar standard of living in the DR comparable to the US is more expensive.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I understand the cost of gas in DR, but if you look at it we spend way more on gas here because our cars are much bigger and well travel greater distance. I have been going back in forth to DR every since I could remember and I have been in about a million cars and when we stop at the bomba I never never witness a driver fill up the most I think the driver put in his tank was 300RD. As far as the food, once my wife was having her family over for dinner and we spent about 7000Rd on food at la Sirena we had so much food the nevera could not hold all the food so we had to give some to her family. It is not a lot of things you can buy in la Sirena. The food we bought last us about three weeks. The trips to the bodega are so small its not even worth adding into the expenses.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Ok chip I have a question my wife sister worked at a fast food joint everyday 9AM to 6PM she made only 5000RD a month and this is a international chain fast food joint. That being said how in the hell can a person afford a 2010 SUV with 70,000 miles for a 110,000USD. Teachers, lawyers, police, accountants, bus drivers, doctors none of these jobs make any money. So my question is the person selling this suv who is he targeting? Two group of people can purchase this SUV government officials and drug dealers and both of this groups are one in the same. Give one career in DR that makes money with they can afford this unrealistic markups. All you expats have passports tomorrow you can leave DR if you want. All of your money comes from the outside. Most of the so called upper class area Piantini Bella Vista, and La trinitaria that wealth is past down so they can keep an uneven playing field. Have any of you met a person from el campo and they worked their ass off studied in school and started at the bottom and they run the company NOOO!!! DR is a very hard country for its own people. If you allowed all dominicans who want to exit and enter in any other country 92% of dominicans would leave.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Ok chip I have a question my wife sister worked at a fast food joint everyday 9AM to 6PM she made only 5000RD a month and this is a international chain fast food joint. That being said how in the hell can a person afford a 2010 SUV with 70,000 miles for a 110,000USD. Teachers, lawyers, police, accountants, bus drivers, doctors none of these jobs make any money. So my question is the person selling this suv who is he targeting? Two group of people can purchase this SUV government officials and drug dealers and both of this groups are one in the same. Give one career in DR that makes money with they can afford this unrealistic markups. All you expats have passports tomorrow you can leave DR if you want. All of your money comes from the outside. Most of the so called upper class area Piantini Bella Vista, and La trinitaria that wealth is past down so they can keep an uneven playing field. Have any of you met a person from el campo and they worked their ass off studied in school and started at the bottom and they run the company NOOO!!! DR is a very hard country for its own people. If you allowed all dominicans who want to exit and enter in any other country 92% of dominicans would leave.

i agree with you somewhat, but I do know of someone that worked in UTESA as a security guard and studies law there, he graduated about 10 years ago and is now a judge in PP. He and his wife which is also a Judge make about $70KRD each per month plus they get gas money plus food money. He travels to the US once a year with the family but on Visa, he is not a citizen or resident of the US. I know of a few other people who are doing well, but, yes, it is very hard to get this far even if you study and go to school. And no he doesn't deal drugs.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
i agree with you somewhat, but I do know of someone that worked in UTESA as a security guard and studies law there, he graduated about 10 years ago and is now a judge in PP. He and his wife which is also a Judge make about $70KRD each per month plus they get gas money plus food money. He travels to the US once a year with the family but on Visa, he is not a citizen or resident of the US. I know of a few other people who are doing well, but, yes, it is very hard to get this far even if you study and go to school. And no he doesn't deal drugs.

That sort of answers the question without answering it though right?

70K RD is just shy of $2K USD / month.
That's not enough for us in a house of two.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

I'm having a hard time understanding the point you are trying to make.

My point is I would disagree that living in the DR is expensive.

With regard to why there are plenty of people with money you really need to integrate yourself more to understand. Certainly, there is money laundering going on here but by far the majority of people that are doing well are professionals or own businesses.

I personally know plenty of professionals that are doing quite fine and are no doubt making RD70k above a month. Furthermore, one of my fellow classmates has a friend who is an engineer and his wife is a professional and they live in Santiago and have a combined income of RD150k a month yet live in an apartment but drive a brand new Land Rover.

Finally, I don't think 92% of the population would leave if they could even though I used to think like this. In fact the DR is seeing an increasing number of Dominicans return and we have a fairly strong residential market in Santiago because of that.