Santo Domingo to Sosua

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
sweetdbt said:
flying into SDQ when you want to go to the North coast, just to save a C-note or 2 on the airfare, is usually "penny wise and pound foolish" when you consider the time, expense and energy required to get from Las Americas to Sosua or Puerto Plata and back. You're better off spending a little more to fly directly into POP.

I'd be interested in knowing how long it has been since you flew from the capital to POP. I know they used to have scheduled flights, but to my knowledge, only charters now.

FYI, "she" is a "he" ;)
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, OK =now I understand what you were refering to, my apology, I agree totally, if you're coming from the states POP is the way to go, even STI is OK, you can catch a connector via Aero Domca for very little money. Last March was the last time I flew, I went from Punta Cana to SDQ for a day, then up to Las Terrenas from Santo Domingo. These local carrier flights are very cheap, and fast. I don't know why anyone would waste their time on buses and cabs........I hear this mentioned all the time.

A

apostropheman

ggn420 said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, OK =now I understand what you were refering to, my apology, I agree totally, if you're coming from the states POP is the way to go, even STI is OK, you can catch a connector via Aero Domca for very little money. Last March was the last time I flew, I went from Punta Cana to SDQ for a day, then up to Las Terrenas from Santo Domingo. These local carrier flights are very cheap, and fast. I don't know why anyone would waste their time on buses and cabs........I hear this mentioned all the time.

for some of us it's part of the experience. i love to take the bus when in the DR.
i meet interesting people and get a chance to bee the sights in a relaxing way.
also factor in the money saved and the extra 2 hours travel is a bargain. i save atleast $200 USD by flying continental into sti vs pop.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I agree

apostropheman said:
for some of us it's part of the experience. i love to take the bus when in the DR.
i meet interesting people and get a chance to bee the sights in a relaxing way.
also factor in the money saved and the extra 2 hours travel is a bargain. i save atleast $200 USD by flying continental into sti vs pop.

that it's worth it from STI when you can save that much $, and the Continental flight gets in at a decent hour, so you can get a bus. Even better if you rent a car as I do, since I can be in Puerto Plata in a little over an hour. Those redeye jetblue flights are another matter. You either have to pay a premium price for a cab at that hour, or spend the night in Santiago.

From Las Americas, you have a half hour taxi ride to the Caribe Tours station and then a 4 to 5 hour bus trip. you end up spending $35 each way for the cab and bus, so your $200 savings is almost cut in half. Not worth it to me to begin and end my vacation spending a half day on a bus. I've traveled the route enough times that there's nothing new to see.

A

apostropheman

sweetdbt said:
that it's worth it from STI when you can save that much $, and the Continental flight gets in at a decent hour, so you can get a bus. Even better if you rent a car as I do, since I can be in Puerto Plata in a little over an hour. Those redeye jetblue flights are another matter. You either have to pay a premium price for a cab at that hour, or spend the night in Santiago.

From Las Americas, you have a half hour taxi ride to the Caribe Tours station and then a 4 to 5 hour bus trip. you end up spending $35 each way for the cab and bus, so your $200 savings is almost cut in half. Not worth it to me to begin and end my vacation spending a half day on a bus. I've traveled the route enough times that there's nothing new to see.
fair enough. if it was further or took much longer i'd probably spend the extra and fly to pop. i've only been 3 times to the DR and still have much to see ;)