Santo Domingo West municipal government permanently closes street fair

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Mercado-Pulgas-Acento-e1597328305612.jpeg

New Santo Domingo West Mayor José Andujar is giving a big “no” to allowing the reopening of the used items street market at Av. Luperón and the Malecón. “La Pulga” or “Km. 12” as the market is known, has been at that site for over 18 years, each year adding more vendors. The Covid-19 epidemic gave it a blow and for months the vendors have not been allowed to reorganize.

The president of the federation of vendors, Jose Manuel Caro, says the decision to not reopen affects 4,000 families-vendors that for years have been making a living selling at the Santo Domingo street fair. He argued 40,000 people depend on the fair for a living.

The market site dates to when Mayor Roberto Salcedo moved it there to get it out of the Colonial City. Back then, the market sold antiques. Over the years it diversified into selling other used items and then blossomed into a major market...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Wow I never knew this existed but they have no issues with Duarte? Interesting
It was a pretty big deal. A half a mile or so of the malecon, all under the bridge between there and Independencia, and both sides of Independencia down to at least the ball field.

Reactions: Andre14615

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
They also recently re-activated the traffic lights at the junction of Av. Luperon and Av. Independencia (Carretera Sanchez). That has done practically nothing to improve the traffic flow and has even hampered it more than the previous "free-for-all" situation

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
It was a pretty big deal. A half a mile or so of the malecon, all under the bridge between there and Independencia, and both sides of Independencia down to at least the ball field.
Wow I thought I've seen it all and I haven't seen anything lol. I hope they bring it back.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

It was also probably one of the biggest generators of trash and refuse in the entire city. The area looked like the municipal dump afterwards every week.
it was poorly organized and brought traffic almost to a stop for 4-5 hours every week.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
It was also probably one of the biggest generators of trash and refuse in the entire city. The area looked like the municipal dump afterwards every week.
it was poorly organized and brought traffic almost to a stop for 4-5 hours every week.
Not to mention the days before Xmas and the New Year!!!! Our corporate HQ is next to Plaza Luperon on its east side, garbage in the gutters used to be knee deep for 500 yards from the junction............

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
They did the same thing in Santiago a few years ago. I think we
will continue to these types of unorganized pop up street markets
moved far outside the cities or done away with altogether as time
passes.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
They really need to come up with an organized permanent solution. Nobody loves a flea market more than this guy, but this thing at Luperon was a disaster.

I tossed the idea around of starting one a few years ago. Selling spaces, entertainment, food, controlled access, parking... the whole shebang. I really liked the idea at first.

Then I talked to my then other half and she looked at me like I was hallucinating. So much for that.

Reactions: CristoRey

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
That's for sure. Every Sunday evening it was a mess. Except i think 4-5 hours would have been a good day.

Reactions: JD Jones