Satellite Dish Info

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I stand corrected

Eddy said:
Dish TV transmit on 4 differrent satellites. The most common 2 are 119 and 110. 9 degrees apart. For the third satellite 121 You would need a dish pointed in the middle of the tthree with 3 lnb's offset. IMPOSSIBLE in the DR. Unless someone has a very large spoon shapped dish. http://www.jgscomputer.com/SuperDish.jpg Here we use 6' dishes pointed directly at each satellite and sometimes loose the signal. The links posted by Rob are for the satellites in the East. Impossible to pick them up in the west.
The super dish work in the US or Canada as they are in the centre of the footprint and we are just on the edge.
I was just informed that it is possible now to pick up both 110 and 119 on one 6' dish in the DR. Dolphy has just informed me that he now has the equipment to do so. The downside is that there is a slight loss of signal strengh but shouldn't bother the average residential customers. Makes Dish TV once again a good option.

Gringo: Your buddy probably has a Pansat or other unit that will open anything on dish. I recommend it and the price seems to be very good. It should last you a lot more than 1 year with the occasional "Fix"

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Where to buy - NCoast

Does anyone have experience with any Pansat dealers on the North Coast in the Sosua area? What is the current pricing? I also understand that they now have units that self program so that when down you do not need to go to the net and download new coding - is this correct? Any info would be greatly appreciated..thanks tom

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
twhitehead said:
Does anyone have experience with any Pansat dealers on the North Coast in the Sosua area? What is the current pricing? I also understand that they now have units that self program so that when down you do not need to go to the net and download new coding - is this correct? Any info would be greatly appreciated..thanks tom

Sent you a PM.

SAT info

There are so many different FTA sat boxes out there they are hard to keep track of, each has something a bit different and many are clones of Pansats.
Units are running around $250-$300 here in Canada some deals here and there for $100 bucks but I am sceptical about these.

My own box has the capability to operate 16 different sats, while I have 3 running now that is enough. While as Eddy says the two that are only 9 degrees apart the signal loss is more than noticeable especially on a big screen, so I use 2 separate dishes.

As for the question "I also understand that they now have units that self program so that when down you do not need to go to the net and download new coding - is this correct? " This is correct as there i an auto roll built into the encrypted program but it is very slow and much easier to manually key in the new keys.

One thing that has been done at the provider level is rehash the video streams for PPV and XXX so they are not available to view unless you can manually change the SPID, VPID and APID for the transponder and channel if you can find them.

dreivitt

Mar 7, 2006
Dish Network Availability

Don't mean to rehash an old topic but we called Dish Network here in the States to inquire about moving our service to the D.R. and were told that there is NO service there so, officially, that's still the party line! Hope we can still pick up the unofficial version!

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My 2 centavo's worth

Today in Toronto I just bought a Coolsat 5000 Platinum, Price $165.22
Dealer told me I could have the Pansat at same price but Pansat's been around 3 years now and coolsat 18 months, with many more things going for it as the down time is much less and getting back up Via Computer is a snap.
He said I could use my 6' dish with the dual LNB's and get plenty of programing from two Sats back in th DR.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Gringo said:
Today in Toronto I just bought a Coolsat 5000 Platinum, Price $165.22
Dealer told me I could have the Pansat at same price but Pansat's been around 3 years now and coolsat 18 months, with many more things going for it as the down time is much less and getting back up Via Computer is a snap.
He said I could use my 6' dish with the dual LNB's and get plenty of programing from two Sats back in th DR.
There is a special bracket they install for 2 LNB's. Your 6' dish is adjusted in between 110 and 119. You can pick up programming from both. On the downside, weaker signal. You will loose your signal faster in cases of clouds and rain.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Eddy said:
There is a special bracket they install for 2 LNB's. Your 6' dish is adjusted in between 110 and 119. You can pick up programming from both. On the downside, weaker signal. You will loose your signal faster in cases of clouds and rain.

Thanks Eddy, I'm used to losing my signal during clouds and rain with Direct TV. over the years.......... maybe because I have allways had two LNB's in the house for two independent recievers.

The Guy said the same set up should work if I adjust the LNB's between 110 and 119 just as you say..............If not I will have to opt for one Sat. most likely Dish Network as Direct TV's reception is not as good anymore due to where we are in the DR.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
sat dish

I live in cabarete and want to install a dish for internet....can anyone lead me in right direction....am fed up with verizon and have an internet business nnneeed internet soon....
bob