Satellite Internet?

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Starlink will be available in the DR coming this August. There may be a slight delay but it{s coming, soon. The earth station in Boca Chica is already up and running.
Why do say August? I know its the DR and you always take the over on a time estimate. But Starlink is is saying Q2, which ends this month, on the website.

I also dont see the hesitation to put $99 down for a reservation, I already did. Your are dealing with Elon Musk, the worlds richest man, he doesnt "need" your $99.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Why do say August? I know its the DR and you always take the over on a time estimate. But Starlink is is saying Q2, which ends this month, on the website.

I also dont see the hesitation to put $99 down for a reservation, I already did. Your are dealing with Elon Musk, the worlds richest man, he doesnt "need" your $99.

I just had this mental picture of Musk saying he can't buy Twitter because someone on DR1 reneged on getting Star Link.

Feb 7, 2007

Because they don't have a permit yet and are still in the process of getting it, they are in what is called the "public objections" phase. Which will run till the end of month. Then, there are several more steps necessary to receive the permit. And there's no way to do it before August. That's why ...

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Because they don't have a permit yet and are still in the process of getting it, they are in what is called the "public objections" phase. Which will run till the end of month. Then, there are several more steps necessary to receive the permit. And there's no way to do it before August. That's why ...

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
They will have to improve the antennas first.

Starlink dishes go into “thermal shutdown” once they hit 122° Fahrenheit

This is going to be a big problem here. First you have to pay US$500 for the equipment plus shipping, plus whatever tax ADUANA wants to charge for it. Then when the dish breaks under warranty what are you going to do with it? Ship it back to the USA? How much? Then pay for shipping and ADUANA again? That's going to be an expensive toy.

I paid my $99 deposit to StarLink earlier in April, as well as several of my friends here did. After reading the above reports I am now thinking to cancel my order and get my deposit back, unless StarLink improves the current antennas.

HAHA

There's no way the weather in Las Terrenas gets anywhere near 122 degrees Fahrenheit. That's the type of heat we get in the desert in California near Death Valley!

per Weather Channel: "Highest temperature in Las Terrenas is recorded as 91.4℉ in July and August"

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
HAHA

There's no way the weather in Las Terrenas gets anywhere near 122 degrees Fahrenheit. That's the type of heat we get in the desert in California near Death Valley!

per Weather Channel: "Highest temperature in Las Terrenas is recorded as 91.4℉ in July and August"

That's an old problem that has been resolved with a new antenna design.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

He doesn't need it, but his company does. Workers don't live off his bank accounts.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
They will have to improve the antennas first.

Starlink dishes go into “thermal shutdown” once they hit 122° Fahrenheit

This is going to be a big problem here. First you have to pay US$500 for the equipment plus shipping, plus whatever tax ADUANA wants to charge for it. Then when the dish breaks under warranty what are you going to do with it? Ship it back to the USA? How much? Then pay for shipping and ADUANA again? That's going to be an expensive toy.

I paid my $99 deposit to StarLink earlier in April, as well as several of my friends here did. After reading the above reports I am now thinking to cancel my order and get my deposit back, unless StarLink improves the current antennas.
be a little more positive after all the pres drives a tesla

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Why pay anything here in advance? When it is up and working well then pay. Claro is owned by the former World' richest man Carlos Slim. Ever try and get a refund there? You may get it but you will jump through hoops......................

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Why pay anything here in advance? When it is up and working well then pay. Claro is owned by the former World' richest man Carlos Slim. Ever try and get a refund there? You may get it but you will jump through hoops......................
I have Claro fiber and had an outage, reported the problem, took 3 days to fix (weekend) to my surprise when I got the monthly bill there was a discount for the (Ajuste Avería en Servicio).......

Reactions: Tonchi

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Ya,,,claro might be owned by Slim,,, but I cant get anything better than 10mb dsl at my location in Bavaro White Sands..
Those idiots cant even figure out where I live and change the account.
Even when I give them the previous owners phone number and account number..
claro is a JOKE
If slim cant put fiber or even know where his accounts are at, in the beach at Bavaro, I am putting my $99 with Elon

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
He doesn't need it, but his company does. Workers don't live off his bank accounts.
Thats true,,, but he has a better reputation than claro does

If the President wants Starlink here,,, I am positive that customs will make allowances when things are shipped and returned..They will get a cut, of course,,but not their normal 18% if they want the business

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Ya,,,claro might be owned by Slim,,, but I cant get anything better than 10mb dsl at my location in Bavaro White Sands..
Those idiots cant even figure out where I live and change the account.
Even when I give them the previous owners phone number and account number..
claro is a JOKE
If slim cant put fiber or even know where his accounts are at, in the beach at Bavaro, I am putting my $99 with Elon
I don't like Claro, mainly because they are incompetent and for some reason don't upgrade anything. Their internet service in the area of Sosúa where I live hasn't upgraded for the past 7-8 years, and I mean in that time there's been ALOT of progress in ANY tech field so WHY haven't they done anything? Fiber has been available with claro for the past 6-7 years but it seems they don't seem interested in extending their service outside city centers.
First of all, when I first came here 10 years ago, the seller told me that yeah it's fiber optic with a plan of 3/1 Mbit and still using the phone cables. So I argued a bit with him that it wasn't until I finally gave up as he wouldn't budge (I mean, perhaps there was fiber from one of their central to another, but NOT to the end customer).
But the worst part was when I moved from one area to another area close by. At that time I had 20/5 Mbit at my old place and it was working okay. So when I moved to another area, I wanted to continue. The technician said that it was fine. But it NEVER worked, it was online for like 5 minutes then it got disconnected and went up and down so for a while. I called like 20 times during a month until a technician came and then said that it wouldn't work with 20/5 but with 10/2 instead. So they "fixed" it, but still had the same issue, so once again I called like 20 more times before after 1 month a technician came, and that technician when I told him what the other technician had said he just shook his head and said, that max 5/1 would work for me at that location as it was too far away from the closest central. So after like 3 months, it started working, it wasn't great but it worked. So when a local ISP started offering fiber optics for real, I quickly shifted, and now I have 100/50 and during the past 3 years, I've been with them, in total I may have had like 72hours of down time which is like 99,83% uptime.
So unless I'm actually forced to I would never go back to Claro.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I don't like Claro, mainly because they are incompetent and for some reason don't upgrade anything. Their internet service in the area of Sosúa where I live hasn't upgraded for the past 7-8 years, and I mean in that time there's been ALOT of progress in ANY tech field so WHY haven't they done anything? Fiber has been available with claro for the past 6-7 years but it seems they don't seem interested in extending their service outside city centers.
First of all, when I first came here 10 years ago, the seller told me that yeah it's fiber optic with a plan of 3/1 Mbit and still using the phone cables. So I argued a bit with him that it wasn't until I finally gave up as he wouldn't budge (I mean, perhaps there was fiber from one of their central to another, but NOT to the end customer).
But the worst part was when I moved from one area to another area close by. At that time I had 20/5 Mbit at my old place and it was working okay. So when I moved to another area, I wanted to continue. The technician said that it was fine. But it NEVER worked, it was online for like 5 minutes then it got disconnected and went up and down so for a while. I called like 20 times during a month until a technician came and then said that it wouldn't work with 20/5 but with 10/2 instead. So they "fixed" it, but still had the same issue, so once again I called like 20 more times before after 1 month a technician came, and that technician when I told him what the other technician had said he just shook his head and said, that max 5/1 would work for me at that location as it was too far away from the closest central. So after like 3 months, it started working, it wasn't great but it worked. So when a local ISP started offering fiber optics for real, I quickly shifted, and now I have 100/50 and during the past 3 years, I've been with them, in total I may have had like 72hours of down time which is like 99,83% uptime.
So unless I'm actually forced to I would never go back to Claro.
I suspect you had DSL and not Fiber. The speed will vary with the distance on DSL service. (DSL is over regular coper phone cable, Tip & Ring)

Yes Their is problem with Claro marketing. Ex. I was recently in a new development area in SD east, I think its called Juan Bosh. Hundreds of Condos and more building, New infrastructure, water, elec. some underground. Claro no present in area, lots of Condo with Dish on Roof....Atlice

Claro where are you with Fiber Optics.?.......possibility of thousand of Clients.......Why not pull fiber in New infrastructure ???? Poor Marketing....Management

Reactions: JD Jones

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you are in an area that Claro has Fiber Optic up and running you will have very stable, reliable internet. If not you are on your own.................

Reactions: Bred and Kricke87

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The list of places with fiber optics does grow from time to time and parts of Sosua are listed, though most of the town appears to not be in the fiber optics grid.

C7716D5D-BE65-4D7C-A385-560899716EAC.jpeg

I think Claro is still the single owner of all the telecomunications wires in the country. Unless you are on satellite internet, service that you get from any provider will arrive to your home via Claro wires.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
I suspect you had DSL and not Fiber. The speed will vary with the distance on DSL service. (DSL is over regular coper phone cable, Tip & Ring)

Yes Their is problem with Claro marketing. Ex. I was recently in a new development area in SD east, I think its called Juan Bosh. Hundreds of Condos and more building, New infrastructure, water, elec. some underground. Claro no present in area, lots of Condo with Dish on Roof....Atlice

Claro where are you with Fiber Optics.?.......possibility of thousand of Clients.......Why not pull fiber in New infrastructure ???? Poor Marketing....Management
Yes, it was DSL, but that was the annoying thing, that I was having an argument with a salesman from Claro that said that it was fiber, but it wasn't.
Yeah it's like they don't want to invest in infrastructure.
If you are in an area that Claro has Fiber Optic up and running you will have very stable, reliable internet. If not you are on your own.................
Yepp that's also my experience, but it's because of the technology. Copper cables can't transport high-speed internet as far as fiber optic cable.
The list of places with fiber optics does grow from time to time and parts of Sosua are listed, though most of the town appears to not be in the fiber optics grid.

View attachment 5847

I think Claro is still the single owner of all the telecomunications wires in the country. Unless you are on satellite internet, service that you get from any provider will arrive to your home via Claro wires.
Yeah, that's what it says on the website, but it's NOT true. Or maybe they count having 1 street with fiber cable to then cover the entire area.. Because I don't know a single person who lives in "Sosúa" or Sabaneta De Cangrejo that has access to fiber-optic service from Claro, and that list has been like that since like 2017/2018. So they have not invested ANYTHING (at least not in this area) for the past 4-5 years, which I find interesting.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yeah, that's what it says on the website, but it's NOT true. Or maybe they count having 1 street with fiber cable to then cover the entire area.. Because I don't know a single person who lives in "Sosúa" or Sabaneta De Cangrejo that has access to fiber-optic service from Claro,
Not to discount your experience, but unless someone lives in a campo or really small town where everybody knows everybody by name, no one knows not even 1% of the residents of any town or city. It could be that everyone you know that lives in Sosua doesn't have fiber optics, but...

and that list has been like that since like 2017/2018. So they have not invested ANYTHING (at least not in this area) for the past 4-5 years, which I find interesting.
Nope. This was in 2018.

B58113AA-C01E-4961-9DF5-2839FA6DE902.jpeg

Then 2020.

64583DE8-F4F1-4174-BB35-D8FF2CFC509A.jpeg

Then 2022 as shown in my previous post.

This could be beyond you since you made it clear you are done with Claro, but they are the only ones that have the answer for why you allegedly never got fiber optics from them.

Feb 7, 2007

View attachment 5847

Not true.

There is more medium and last mile fiber optic cable miles laid by independent small and medium ISPs than Claro and Altice combined.

Feb 7, 2007
Claro has many, many, many fiber route miles connecting their centrals and cell towers*, as well as street cabinets (FTTN- fiber to the nodes) used for ADSL+ service.

But considering the number of residential (and business) FTTH/FTTP customers (fiber to the home / fiber to the premise) connected by Claro and Altice on one side, and independent small and medium ISPs, on the other side (this includes cable companies as well as pure ISP players), the latter group leads the way.

* In spite of all those fiber route miles to connect cell towers, it really does not show in the quality of cell cervices.