Scandall's Rant: Buying electronics

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Hostage Crisis Part II

So. This time I waited until about 6:45 and called again. This time I specifically asked for a guy I know. I have small talked with him for more than three years. This was my ace in the hole.

He put me on hold and came back with the following reply...

"Scandall, your monitor is still in customs at the airport. You need to get me a copy of your passport."

"Why? What for? I have been using this address for more than three years and have never been asked for that."

Then I started to explain all of the crap I have been fed over the last few days. It's here...it's not...it's here...it's not. After a few minutes he had the balls to say the following. I say "balls" because he and I have spoken nothing but english since I have known him.

"Can we speak in Spanish because I don't understand so well."

Bull****. So, I started telling the story again in Spanish. Sidenote: My Spanish is far from perfect but still decent and obviously good enough to let him know that he could not go that route. He cut me off, in English, and said he had no control over anything and didn't know why they kept tlling me stories.

I just scanned my passport and emailed it him. Part III to follow.

My thoughts:

1- It has only happened a few times since I have been with them.
2- EPS sounds great right now.
3- If Business Mail would just act like they give a **** I could deal with it.
4- I want my ****ing monitor.

Scandall

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Eps

Criss Colon said:
Best 300 pesos I ever spent! ALL my kids Christmas presents arrived before I left Santo Dominigo! I get "Tracking #s"
and E-mails from the time my "stuff" arrives in Miami,is on the plane,in "Aduana",and finally in the EPS office on C/ Ortega Y Gaset.
where on ortega Y gasset???Is it near Business Mail..???
bob

cc
where on ortega Y gasset???Is it near Business Mail..???
bob

cc[/QUOTE]

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Very interesting thread, thanks to you all for sharing...
I am carefully reading to visualize if, at the end of the day, it might be just easier to go to Prodacom, IGM or Cecomsa and buy one of them LCD monitor, even if the price tag is more expensive, it?s less hassle, and the difference in pesos maybe won?t be that big...

We?ll see... Now how about if the Dell monitor shows up damaged ??? Scandall would have to send it back in order to make the garanty work... It would take a hell of a long time (and energy...)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My best method is the following.
I place an order though internet for the product from the best priced website. i arrange all that a few days before my trip to USA. When I do arrive in USA, the product is usually waiting for me at home. I test it, abuse it and see if it will hold on its own for a week. If it does, then chances are it will be good to go for a long time. Example: my toshiba 17" screen laptop will be arriving to my atlanta address tomorrow. I am leaving for USA tomorrow so when I get there, its there waiting on me. I will test it, abuse it and leave it on for a whole day, burn CDs, DVDs and connect to internet and put it through hell. Then if it passes my torturous tests, I will being it back with me. Case closed.
AZB

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
The aduana had a major crackdown on freight forwarders not more than a month ago, as slowly as things move in the DR they are most likely still negotiating fines and "commissions" for reduction of fines with everyone, which undoubtedly includes business mail.

During the next 6 months to a year there are going to be alot of unnecessary delays in customs while everything is checked, rechecked, and finally rechecked twice more because the first checkers and recheckers are not trusted.

I have had relatively minor shipments re-checked by the inspector general himself because he thought my purchase prices were too low, he is a busy guy so your stuff just sits there gathering dust and mold until he gets around to you.

Also it's Christmas time so you can only begin to imagine the backlog the aduana is working through right now.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
MrMike said:
During the next 6 months to a year there are going to be alot of unnecessary delays in customs while everything is checked, rechecked, and finally rechecked twice more because the first checkers and recheckers are not trusted.

Take note of this... for the next number of months it is going to be harder, not easier. Every last drop of money will be squeezed out before DR-Cafta becomes a reality.

We've had luxury taxes assigned to stuff that we bring in as a matter of course and never before have we heard of luxury taxes - we've had additional taxes on wireless antennas and satellite dishes (these are all now considered luxury goods with additional taxes). We've waited weeks for standard shipments to be cleared and have had everything questioned. We get deep discounts from some suppliers as we are resellers of certain equipment - these were all questioned - same as MrMike's case, purchase prices on the invoices were questioned - and point-blank not accepted.

The last time, Richard got really mad and asked them if they really wanted to question companies as big as Netgear and Dell about their commercial invoices? Are they ready for us to bring in a Dell and Netgear representative with international investigative journalists to ask the questions about the DR Aduana casting aspersions (sp?) on the invoicing practices of world wide companies? Are they really ready for the fact that they are simply saying to us that Netgear and Dell are lying on their invoices? Are they really ready to mess with these companies' reseller agreements?

Stuff cleared through after that, with even more duties slapped on...

Gird yourselves... and what you can carry in, carry it in!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Scandall said:
2- EPS sounds great right now.
3- If Business Mail would just act like they give a **** I could deal with it.
4- I want my ****ing monitor.

Scandall

Scandall, it really is not usually Business Mail's fault. They are also at the end of their tether. So is EPS. With our last big shipment through EPS, they simply eventaully gave up and put us in touch with the customs inspector. They did not know what to do any more, or what to answer, or how to answer on the verging on the ludicrous questions.

EPS is more expensive. You must also know that if a person that you've been dealing with in English, suddenly insists on Spanish, it is because they do not know what to say.... They actually have no words.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
No Problems At "EPS"!

Just recieved their e-mail that an order from JC Penny has just arrived.Also an order of "Scrubs" for the OR has also arrived.And a second order of "Scrubs" is in "Aduana"! I noticed no slowdown for "Christmas"! CC

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
JDJones said:
Chris,
I can't agree with you on this one. BM has major problems with their computer system, and their package handling. I can't tell you how I know, but am getting it straight from the source. When you have two different people in the front office telling you two different things, while talking to both at the same time, you know they got problems.

You may be right, I don't know.. We use mainly EPS and have had similar teeth-grinding frustrating problems just in the past few months. Like MrMike said, there has been a crackdown on all of these services - and perhaps certain types of goods attracted more attention that others...

I guess what I'm saying is that the BM problems may exist, but the other problems are there as well.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Chris said:
You may be right, I don't know.. We use mainly EPS and have had similar teeth-grinding frustrating problems just in the past few months. Like MrMike said, there has been a crackdown on all of these services - and perhaps certain types of goods attracted more attention that others...

I guess what I'm saying is that the BM problems may exist, but the other problems are there as well.

Yes I believe electronics and telecommunications equipment are in the spotlight right now.

It's part of the ongoing conspiracy to constanly sabotage the quality of life of the average Dominican.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Free my monitor!!!

I went to Business Mail first thing this morning with a copy of my passport in hand. I had scanned it and tried to email it last night but the email address he gave me did not work.

I specifically asked him what time their rep goes to Aduanas. He told me 10AM so I was sure to walk in their door at 8:30AM. At 2PM I called them and was informed that my stuff was on the way from the airport. At 6PM they told me that it would be arriving late but to call them tomorrow at 8:30AM. He promised me that it had passed through customs. We shall see.

The monitor arrived in Miami last Thursday. IF I can claim it tomorrow it will have taken a week to get here. I sure am glad I paid DELL extra for next day delivery.

Scandall
"****ed off"

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Free at last! Free at last!

Well...not exactly "free".

DR1 Brethren,

I send these greetings to you while peering into my new monstrous 19" DELL monitor. There has been much run-around and more pesos spent than I expected. Alas, the quest is over.

The monitor took a week to get from Miami to me. And the cost at pick-up was RD$4,254.72. MUCH more than expected. In the end I still spent less than I would have had to if I bought the same piece of equipment here. But I will definately go back to having a friend (or myself) carry things into the country.

Descripcion de Cargos
Seguro 108.33
Handling fees 349.83
Customs clearance 982.22
Manifest 250.13
Flete servicio aereo 2,490.90

I questioned the majority of the charges but was answered by blank stares. There is definately something rotten in Denmark (no offense, Bo). They probably pad their charges. Rather than argue and put myself in a worse mood, I just paid it and took my new best friend home. I will NEVER use them for something like this again. And I am more than likely going to switch to EPS, at least for packages.

I will add a picture of the monster to this post when I can. It is a bit too big to ask a buddy to carry into the country.

Fire away with your comments. I can now read them from the other side of Santo Domingo without even squinting.

Scandall

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Chris said:
Switch all you like - the grass is the same color at EPS.

Perhaps, Chris.

Where did everyone go? Is everyone so surprised that I actually have it?

Are there no "DR1-Know-It-Alls" dying to tell me that they "knew it would happen"?

Man...where is Nals when you need him?

Scandall

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
OK, fine. Whataya want me to say? You spent alot of money on rush shipment and it would appear for very little benefit.

Other than that your experience is not that bad. Be sure not to burn any bridges when you switch companies in the DR, they will all infuriate you eventually and you will have to start again from the top of the list. (it's a short list)

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
so let?s compare prices between your Dell monitor (including all expenses, phone, gas etc...) and another 19" LCD from MrMike?s or other pc dealer.

Let?s have some number down on the paper so the rest of us can make better decision (I am dreaming of a 19" mon !!!)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
rellosk said:
It sounds like the problem is with DR customs and not the shipping company.

Perhaps. But the most frustrating part is that they have no tracking system. Nobody ever knew where my stuff was. If I had an answer I would not have been that mad.

Scandall

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Scandall said:
The monitor took a week to get from Miami to me. And the cost at pick-up was RD$4,254.72. MUCH more than expected. In the end I still spent less than I would have had to if I bought the same piece of equipment here. But I will definately go back to having a friend (or myself) carry things into the country.
Okay, let recap. You paid roughly $450US (plus shipping costs to Miami) for a monitor that you could have bought in a Carrefour for about $560US-$600US*.

Was the savings worth the tsuris of having to make umpteen calls, make copies of you passport, and a special trip to Business Mail?

Of course we at DR1 did get this interesting thread, albeit not nearly as interesting as the road trip thread(s).

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
rellosk said:
Okay, let recap. You paid roughly $450US (plus shipping costs to Miami) for a monitor that you could have bought in a Carrefour for about $560US-$600US*.

Was the savings worth the tsuris of having to make umpteen calls, make copies of you passport, and a special trip to Business Mail?

Of course we at DR1 did get this interesting thread, albeit not nearly as interesting as the road trip thread(s).

Yes, how much do you value your time per hour and how many hours did you spend expiditing your monitor's delivery? (assuming your phone time and transportation costs are negligible, they may not be)

In what I believe will be my last order of computer parts for resale I ordered 1 19" inch monitor, which I hope to take delivery on in the first week of January. I don't know if I plan to sell it or keep it at this point, depends how much I like it, and how much I like whoever wants to buy it. I will probably be asking 600 for it, but will end up letting it go for around 500 because I am such a nice guy.