School supplies needed VERY badly.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
ETA: Sports equipment, used computers, library books.
When we get back down there, we can help with some baseball equipment for them. We had to leave before we gave it all away, so much is stored, plus we’ll be sending more down. I can’t remember if we had extra school supplies left tho.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
None of them have "enough money to buy" anything at this point. When you start with 3dollars in your pocket (before Covid) and then 3 months without work, how much do you have left in your pocket? Simple arithmetic. Not debatable, just a fact.

Got it. Looks like you are or want to deal with a public school. Best plan. The people that send their kids to private school/colegio tend to have some money. Again, this is the best thing you can do, in my opinion. Kids are important. (Mascotas cosidas are notebooks/cuadernos :). The first time I saw that term on a list of school supplies I had to ask.)

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Don’t get personal please. Thank you.

It was your assertion that only in your generation that men were raised. If you can expand upon the statement, without sounding like a stale breeze in the night, please do. Otherwise, it is chest pounding fluff, that should not impede with the poster's intent to help children.
No, it is not personal. Please spare me the faux outrage.
I often do agree with you, but not in this subject matter.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
When we get back down there, we can help with some baseball equipment for them. We had to leave before we gave it all away, so much is stored, plus we’ll be sending more down. I can’t remember if we had extra school supplies left tho.
That would be super fabulous! We have a field (I haven't seen it yet) but my caddy and his brother have been instructing 6-13 y.o. baseball for the past 4 months. Now I will attempt to put two teams together so we can go live in action. We really need equipment on the sports end. The school supply issue is dire in that these people haven't worked in three months. They have NO money. All I asked for in this post was "recommendations" as to where I might find contributions. Real simple, I will do the work along with help from my Dominican friends if I had some leads that can offer some help.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
@Caonabo.
It’s not outrage, not even faux. I just do not agree with aid till the degree of buying a pencil , which cost a couple of pesos in every colmado. Are those people not
exaggerate a bit you think? Where is the responsibility of their parents?
When I lived in the DR, in SD and La Vega I saw on a daily basis because of my job how the permissive and weak upbringing by a lot of Dominican parents, mostly mothers, led to disrespectful and immature behaviour.
“Los hombres no friegan”, once said a nine old chap to me, while his mother worked day and night in the zona franca. In brevitis, providing breakfast, all materials and details etcetera is just not the way to go.

Reactions: JD Jones

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
@Caonabo.
It’s not outrage, not even faux. I just do not agree with aid till the degree of buying a pencil , which cost a couple of pesos in every colmado. Are those people not
exaggerate a bit you think? Where is the responsibility of their parents?
When I lived in the DR, in SD and La Vega I saw on a daily basis because of my job how the permissive and weak upbringing by a lot of Dominican parents, mostly mothers, led to disrespectful and immature behaviour.
“Los hombres no friegan”, once said a nine old chap to me, while his mother worked day and night in the zona franca. In brevitis, providing breakfast, all materials and details etcetera is just not the way to go.

Ok Richard.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Guys, please stop the bickering. Believe me I thought long and hard about posting this here. I have been here for a lot of years and I know the deal. EVERYTHING is a debate and usually drifts off topic by the end of the first page. ie; pencil sharpener vs. boy scout knife. WTF does that have to do with my query?? I'd appreciate your help but with all respect I don't have an abundance of time to get done what I what to do. Thanks.

Reactions: bienamor

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Because the children's households (usually more than one child) could use pencil sharpeners (not electric, because of the crap electrical service outside of 24/7 zones).

Now johne, you ALSO need to relax a bit, as the school year just ended for many, and will not resume until the end of August.

Your rush, is not the reality of the situation. Unless you are opening your own school, or providing for one particular family ahead of time. This would be your own personal business.

How can you practically provide for others, when all the regulations are not in place as of yet?

You speak of not having an abundance of time, but yet, just like those who wish to fly into the country yesterday, it is better off to wait until you know the reality of the situation.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am sorry but every colmado sells a pencil. How about sharpening a pencil with the old
pocket-knife? Like in our old days? You’re cultivating pussies. Post-colonialism. What’s next, pasolas?
A plastic pencil sharpener cost 5 pesos, and pocket knives aren't very popular anymore.

Reactions: Caonabo

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
[QUOTE="franco1111, post: 5534289, member: 6302 Mascotas cosidas are notebooks/cuadernos :). The first time I saw that term on a list of school supplies I had to ask.
[/QUOTE]

One thing to keep in mind is that the preferred notebooks are what used to be called "composition books." They are hard backed, usually with marbled covers and with the pages sewn in. (Hence "cosidas" or sewn.)

I was given an entire case of notebooks. Because they were ring bound, I could not find a school that would use them.

Aug 21, 2007
For years, my foundation has provided school supplies in the poorest areas. What they need are simple things. Pencils, erasers, 3 or 4 notebooks, crayons.

Most years, the government provides backpacks. Don't give too much. Most teaching in public schools here is limited to lecture/note taking. Even in grade 1. You may give more thinking teachers will be more creative and do activities with cutting and pasting or painting, etc. But that is not the case, The teaching will not change. Public school students do not buy their own workbooks (if they use them.) That is done mostly in private schools. And I would not ask them what they need. From my experience they will give you an outrageous list. They figure if you are going to ask, then the sky is the limit.

You have plenty of time to prepare. It is best to wait until just a week or two before school starts. Even when school starts, in public schools, most kids do not attend on the first days.

Lindsey

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
For years, my foundation has provided school supplies in the poorest areas. What they need are simple things. Pencils, erasers, 3 or 4 notebooks, crayons.

Most years, the government provides backpacks. Don't give too much. Most teaching in public schools here is limited to lecture/note taking. Even in grade 1. You may give more thinking teachers will be more creative and do activities with cutting and pasting or painting, etc. But that is not the case, The teaching will not change. Public school students do not buy their own workbooks (if they use them.) That is done mostly in private schools. And I would not ask them what they need. From my experience they will give you an outrageous list. They figure if you are going to ask, then the sky is the limit.

You have plenty of time to prepare. It is best to wait until just a week or two before school starts. Even when school starts, in public schools, most kids do not attend on the first days.

Lindsey
OK. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: waytogo

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
OK. Thanks for the input.
[/QUOT

Lindsey
Are you still part of this foundation?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Here is an example of a list of materials and books required for grade six of a colegio. Some of the books cost mil cuatro cientos pesos each. Which is a big expense for some families.
True but in a public school textbooks are supplied by the government. Total texts for grade 3 thru six in our colegio costs 4500 pesos new, and we try to round up as many good used ones that we sell for 300-450 each, depending on cost to acquire. We also buy back from the parents.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Lindsey
A very good answer Lindsey. Johne are you planning on supplying all the children with everything or what? How many children? You should talk to the director at the school and then you will know better the needs and also if the director is getting what they request from the government. I would think in an area with no or little employment that good shoes to walk to school would be a huge benefit, almost more important than school supplies.

Reactions: Auryn and Caonabo