School supplies needed VERY badly.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Schools will open soon and they are facing the worst of times. I am trying to do my part for a small school in the Guayacanes district . I would appreciate any recommendations from this forum as what organization I might turn to for help.If it involves pick-ups of supplies, equipment or any other useful items for a small rural school, I can arrange for such pickups in any area from Santo Domingo to San Pedro (only).

Thanking you in advance for any guidance, donations, or advise you might be be able to give.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
They just closed last friday June 12th.... a soft opening is planned for august 24th ... but the word it will be sept 24th....you have time .....

Reactions: Caonabo

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Schools will have a staggered opening, or at least that is the latest government plan. High schools first in areas where the covid was low, then the following weeks primary schools. What supplies are low?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Schools will open soon and they are facing the worst of times. I am trying to do my part for a small school in the Guayacanes district . I would appreciate any recommendations from this forum as what organization I might turn to for help.If it involves pick-ups of supplies, equipment or any other useful items for a small rural school, I can arrange for such pickups in any area from Santo Domingo to San Pedro (only).

Thanking you in advance for any guidance, donations, or advise you might be be able to give.
Isn’t there a government department for this?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Bob, this is a very small primary school located a few miles away from Juan Dolio. Don't think JD, think extreme poverty populated by resort workers, golf caddies, hair dressers that shampoo their customers in the street. What do they need? Everything, as far as I can see. I don't have knowledge as to how "the system" works, nor do I have a horse in this race. I just have decided this is where I will "give back" something to the DR. I might need to fund this myself but it would help if I can get notebooks, pencils, paper for arts and crafts, tablets, anything one would define as "school supplies".

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bob, this is a very small primary school located a few miles away from Juan Dolio. Don't think JD, think extreme poverty populated by resort workers, golf caddies, hair dressers that shampoo their customers in the street. What do they need? Everything, as far as I can see. I don't have knowledge as to how "the system" works, nor do I have a horse in this race. I just have decided this is where I will "give back" something to the DR. I might need to fund this myself but it would help if I can get notebooks, pencils, paper for arts and crafts, tablets, anything one would define as "school supplies".
If it is a small public primary school then computers will be overkill. All they need is a backpack, pencils, erasers, pens for the kids in grade two and up, four or five note books, except grade one only requires a couple, pencil crayons, rulers. uniform shirts are given by the government, sometimes shoes. pants are khakis from any store.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Pencils, sharpeners (not electric), notebooks, and book bags just about covers the basics that I dispense in several communities.

Reactions: bob saunders

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Pencils, sharpeners (not electric), notebooks, and book bags just about covers the basics that I dispense in several communities.
I forgot sharpeners. I am not sure what the government is supposed to supply because it seems different in each school district, and even different in each school. We charge a supplies charge when we do inscription and it covers craft paper, glue, cartolina, pencil crayons and crayons, crepe paper, other craft stuff, paints, and pencils for pre-kinder- grade one. I think we lose money on it.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Johne, is this a public or private school?

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Go to the school and ask for the list of supplies each student has to buy. They give a list to each student or parent. All the things above and more. Plain paper. What a good guy you are. This is a great help to people that don't have enough money to buy all these things.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Here is an example of a list of materials and books required for grade six of a colegio. Some of the books cost mil cuatro cientos pesos each. Which is a big expense for some families.

Attachments

• list.JPG
    list.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 281

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Go to the school and ask for the list of supplies each student has to buy. They give a list to each student or parent. All the things above and more. Plain paper. What a good guy you are. This is a great help to people that don't have enough money to buy all these things.
None of them have "enough money to buy" anything at this point. When you start with 3dollars in your pocket (before Covid) and then 3 months without work, how much do you have left in your pocket? Simple arithmetic. Not debatable, just a fact.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If it is a small public primary school then computers will be overkill. All they need is a backpack, pencils, erasers, pens for the kids in grade two and up, four or five note books, except grade one only requires a couple, pencil crayons, rulers. uniform shirts are given by the government, sometimes shoes. pants are khakis from any store.
What if the school was large and private? What would they need? Different I suppose.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I am sorry but every colmado sells a pencil. How about sharpening a pencil with the old
pocket-knife? Like in our old days? You’re cultivating pussies. Post-colonialism. What’s next, pasolas?

Yes, if it was good enough for you in 1964, it is good enough for those Dominican kids, right?

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro