Schools in Santo Domingo

Sarah Stagg

Jan 22, 2022
UK
tfulThank you all so much for your help and advice. I have three children and the youngest two I am not so concerned about, the younger they are the easier it is for them to adapt. From what I understand with my eldest daughter(teenagers are so hard to understand!), I feel that she would be best suited to a school that has students who are really friendly, kind, with big hearts and down to earth. Perhaps this atmosphere is more prevalent in schools where there is a lot of emphasis(as well as academic education) on spiritual values, on teaching children to be respectful, kind, compassionate, loving caring etc - keeping children grounded, friendly and though, despite their wealth. I got the impression that Saint Michaels do this when I had a quick look at their website. She wouldn't want to be with students who are arrogant, spoilt with no moral values and who put more emphasis on your wealth and status. I read some google reviews which said that Carol Morgan School is like this but I'm hoping this is not true because the facilities look really great, even the outdoor seating areas. We couldn't afford private school here in the UK as they are very expensive but for her sixth form her Grandfather will pay and he doesn't mind the price especially as my daughter had a very difficult year last year and we just want to find the schools best suited to her.

So my eldest has finished her GCSE's, and did pretty well in them, so she could get her final two years qualifications from either an English or American school (I think), it doesn't matter as long as the lessons are taught in English as my daughter doesn't speak any other language, even Spanish. Obviously education is important so I would also really like her to go to a school that has really good teachers and teaching methods and so the students enjoy the lessons and therefore school and do well because of the interesting way in which they learn. I get the impression Saint Michaels is like that, I will look at the others mentioned as well. Thank you all so much.

By the way, how do people know how good the results are from these schools? Is there any way of knowing? Is there some kind of online website that shows the results of the different schools or something?

Reactions: Nadie21 and Auryn

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I have heard the same complaint about Morgan in regards to elitist students but do not have direct personal experience with it and did not teach there.

OP, I will send you a PM. Will she be able to see it?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
tfulThank you all so much for your help and advice. I have three children and the youngest two I am not so concerned about, the younger they are the easier it is for them to adapt. From what I understand with my eldest daughter(teenagers are so hard to understand!), I feel that she would be best suited to a school that has students who are really friendly, kind, with big hearts and down to earth. Perhaps this atmosphere is more prevalent in schools where there is a lot of emphasis(as well as academic education) on spiritual values, on teaching children to be respectful, kind, compassionate, loving caring etc - keeping children grounded, friendly and though, despite their wealth. I got the impression that Saint Michaels do this when I had a quick look at their website. She wouldn't want to be with students who are arrogant, spoilt with no moral values and who put more emphasis on your wealth and status. I read some google reviews which said that Carol Morgan School is like this but I'm hoping this is not true because the facilities look really great, even the outdoor seating areas. We couldn't afford private school here in the UK as they are very expensive but for her sixth form her Grandfather will pay and he doesn't mind the price especially as my daughter had a very difficult year last year and we just want to find the schools best suited to her.

So my eldest has finished her GCSE's, and did pretty well in them, so she could get her final two years qualifications from either an English or American school (I think), it doesn't matter as long as the lessons are taught in English as my daughter doesn't speak any other language, even Spanish. Obviously education is important so I would also really like her to go to a school that has really good teachers and teaching methods and so the students enjoy the lessons and therefore school and do well because of the interesting way in which they learn. I get the impression Saint Michaels is like that, I will look at the others mentioned as well. Thank you all so much.

By the way, how do people know how good the results are from these schools? Is there any way of knowing? Is there some kind of online website that shows the results of the different schools or something?
I believe most of them have a list of alumina that have become successful in different fields.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Besides Alumni, an affiliation with an accrediting organization is one way to get an idea about this.

If a school is accredited, it must meet certain educational standards of the accrediting body. This is reviewed on a regular basis and the schools must complete testing in order to pass review. Most Dominican international schools are accredited with various American accrediting bodies.

Morgan is accredited through the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, St. Michael’s I believe is through SACS-CASI (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools), as is Sosua.

One way accreditation helps is for college applications. But Dominican students from non accredited schools have successfully applied to colleges abroad. This is an extensive topic.

These schools will give you a tour if requested. I think the best suggestion might be to schedule tours once in country and take your daughter to get her perspective as well. Hopefully that’s an option.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Back on topic please.
98F12CF8-54BC-495C-909B-E1CD6631C8C6.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
On this website there are a list of schools with Accreditation of the New England Association of Schools in the DR. There are a number not mentioned on this thread. https://cie.neasc.org/cie-school-directory
Worth noting that St. George is accredited with NEASC.

I forgot about Cathedral school. It has been mentioned along with New Horizons and Brilliant Minds.

Others that you could check in SD include St. Joseph, Ashton School, and MC School.

Reactions: mountainannie

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I forgot about Cathedral school. It has been mentioned along with New Horizons and Brilliant Minds.

Others that you could check in SD include St. Joseph, Ashton School, and MC School.
Having just accessed the webpage of each school listed , Notra Dame sounds like an excellent school.

Sarah Stagg

Jan 22, 2022
UK
Thank you again, I have taken note of everything and looking into it more. Does anyone know if Ashton school is accredited?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
One factor to consider is

Don't go near Cathedral school. Atrocious, from my personal experience. Our children had 3 teachers in a single year, classes had more than 35 students, terrible standards of education. The school is only interested in money. It used to be good but I think it changed hands and standards slipped. I've seen the whatsapp group of parents who are furious with the standards of education their kids are receiving.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
One factor to consider is

Don't go near Cathedral school. Atrocious, from my personal experience. Our children had 3 teachers in a single year, classes had more than 35 students, terrible standards of education. The school is only interested in money. It used to be good but I think it changed hands and standards slipped. I've seen the whatsapp group of parents who are furious with the standards of education their kids are receiving.
I’m sure there was another frequent poster on DR1 who said the same thing very recently.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The lesson I have learnt is that unless your child speaks English at home, it's not really worth sending them to an international school (where the majority of lessons are taught in English). Unless you are paying top dollar and going to the likes of Carol Morgan, the standard of teaching in international schools is generally low because there are so few teachers around who are capable to teaching in English. Better to send them to a private school where everything is taught in Spanish, and then buy in additional English lessons as you need them. That's my opinion and my experience in any case - I'm sure there are some who will have had different experiences and opinions.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The lesson I have learnt is that unless your child speaks English at home, it's not really worth sending them to an international school (where the majority of lessons are taught in English). Unless you are paying top dollar and going to the likes of Carol Morgan, the standard of teaching in international schools is generally low because there are so few teachers around who are capable to teaching in English. Better to send them to a private school where everything is taught in Spanish, and then buy in additional English lessons as you need them. That's my opinion and my experience in any case - I'm sure there are some who will have had different experiences and opinions.
Both the bilingual private schools in Jarabacoa , Doulos and Jarabacoa Christian school seem to do a good job at producing bilingual students where all classes except hisrory are in English. In general though I agree with you. It is better to have a student master their mother tongue first.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Many of the teachers in the USA shouldn't be allowed to teach there either. https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=776854
Many if not most of the public schools in the USA neither want, nor deserve, good teachers. They have low pay, lousy conditions, and as a bonus if you actually teach the little bastards something you run the risk of being prosecuted. They even financially incentivize vigilante investigators to scrounge up cases to prosecute. Nobody in their right mind would go into a profession like that.

Reactions: Big and Auryn