Scott Teilhaber

ejl293

Member
May 29, 2012
68
26
18
Rest In Peace, my friend. Scott could be cantankerous, but was a good man and could always be counted on by friends.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kaelatee

drbcabarete

Member
Oct 21, 2005
53
6
18
Scott was one of the first Americans , if not the first, I met in May of 2002 when I first came to Cabarete. We shared a number of things between us, East Coast upbinging, Jewish heritage, ex pats, looking for a different lifestyle and a sense of humor and sarcasm which not too many people understood or even appreciated. I spent many wonderful hours with his cantankerous father who had a piece of property adjacent to Yasgurs farm, as in Woodstock,, 1969. Scott was actually there. He had a daughter who was a Disney dancer and choreographer on Disney cruise ships in the early days . He survived, almost,a terrible divorce and fought most of his younger years to stay in touch and connected to his daughter. We shared many feelings about daughters and fathers in the early years of my having my daughter. Scott was the first person I ever trusted in the DR and continued to feel that way for many years. I went to his home and farm in Cabrera and stayed several weekends with his then, lady friend. I took care of her, as a physician, on several occasions when she needed another opinion and a comforting and trusted doctor and friend of her Scott's. We had many other connecting experiences with people in our lives. My daughter and I would see Scott in town often and I remember the last time we met, I told my daughter that I hardly could place him, he had changed so much. Even when he had the first accident with the motocross situation in Cabrera I would see him at his condo in Sosua and would try to keep his spirits high.

I will miss him, though in these recent times, I did not see him much. But we always shared many close bonds and though, he could be difficult, I found him to be a very special man.
 

NYerinDR

Member
Jan 9, 2004
134
13
18
So sorry to hear this sad news. I knew Scott from way back when Rocky was our regular hang out place. He is a good guy!! Life had been hard on him, and he lived a very interesting life. Hope wherever you are going will be kinder and more peaceful. Rest in peace my friend!!
 

HS10

Active member
Feb 17, 2008
202
51
28
Scott was a vibrant personality and a very good friend of mine.
In 2014 he was sitting on a sidewalk curb watching a 'motorcycle show' in Cabrera, where the bikes perform wheelies and tricks...a bike lost control and slammed into him. He was taken by ambulance to CMC in Sosua where he was in a coma in intensive care for about 3 days with a brain injury. The doctor gave him a 50% chance of dying, 25% chance of complete recovery and 25% of living but never being the same again. Tragically the latter was the case. That accident (compounded by a motorcycle crash about a year ago) caused him to age, both mentally and physically in the ensuing years...compressing the last 20-30 years of his life into 6-7 years.
My life was greatly enriched by being his friend.
 

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
805
93
48
Such a shame, he was a very interesting person to talk to over a beer and never shy about expressing his opinions about just about everything. Not everything he talked about I agreed with but it was always interesting to hear him talk. The first accident was horrific and it took him a long time to recover, although he never fully recovered. The second accident, if I remember correctly, was near the El Choco entrance and this must have affected him immensely. To be quite honest, I have not seen him since the second accident as we were basically in lock down and I did not see him out and about like before. After everything he has been through, I really hope that when his time came it went fast, God knows that he has suffered enough during his lifetime....R.I.P. Scott, thanks for all the conversations over the years.
 

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
12,289
511
113
what was the other motorcycle accident that i am hearing about? i only knew he was run over by a motorcycle in cabrera. was there another incident?
 

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
1,576
322
83
what was the other motorcycle accident that i am hearing about? i only knew he was run over by a motorcycle in cabrera. was there another incident?
About one year ago or so he was rear ended on his motorcycle on the highway near El Choco. He was found in the ditch unconscious. The driver never stopped. Scott was never the same after that. He was very skinny and very white. He looked old. Also many conversations that I had with him made no sense.
 

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
12,289
511
113
About one year ago or so he was rear ended on his motorcycle on the highway near El Choco. He was found in the ditch unconscious. The driver never stopped. Scott was never the same after that. He was very skinny and very white. He looked old. Also many conversations that I had with him made no sense.
oh wow, so sorry to hear that. I also ride a motorcycle now and this makes me very concerned. I didn't know he rode bikes. Anyway, i wish him peace in after-life.
 
  • Like
Reactions: bob saunders

marge201

New member
Mar 4, 2014
7
5
3
Scott was one of the first Americans , if not the first, I met in May of 2002 when I first came to Cabarete. We shared a number of things between us, East Coast upbinging, Jewish heritage, ex pats, looking for a different lifestyle and a sense of humor and sarcasm which not too many people understood or even appreciated. I spent many wonderful hours with his cantankerous father who had a piece of property adjacent to Yasgurs farm, as in Woodstock,, 1969. Scott was actually there. He had a daughter who was a Disney dancer and choreographer on Disney cruise ships in the early days . He survived, almost,a terrible divorce and fought most of his younger years to stay in touch and connected to his daughter. We shared many feelings about daughters and fathers in the early years of my having my daughter. Scott was the first person I ever trusted in the DR and continued to feel that way for many years. I went to his home and farm in Cabrera and stayed several weekends with his then, lady friend. I took care of her, as a physician, on several occasions when she needed another opinion and a comforting and trusted doctor and friend of her Scott's. We had many other connecting experiences with people in our lives. My daughter and I would see Scott in town often and I remember the last time we met, I told my daughter that I hardly could place him, he had changed so much. Even when he had the first accident with the motocross situation in Cabrera I would see him at his condo in Sosua and would try to keep his spirits high.

I will miss him, though in these recent times, I did not see him much. But we always shared many close bonds and though, he could be difficult, I found him to be a very special man.
Our dad, Murray Teilhaber, was not at all cantankerous. He was agreeable, easy-going, and an overall great guy.

I'm enjoying reading all the very nice tributes to Scott. Thanks a lot to everyone.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ramesses

Kaelatee

New member
Oct 8, 2021
1
7
3
Honolulu, HI
It was so nice to read everyone's comments. I know my dad could rub people the wrong way... I mean he even rubbed me the wrong way sometimes! But it's very heartening to hear that despite that, he was still loved. I had completely forgotten about this forum and how much my dad used to be on this! But I'm so glad that Dawn reminded me. Thank you all for your kind words and maybe I will be seeing some of you when I come down to the DR in December. <3 Kaela Teilhaber