Screen door and window screens

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My guy working on a house I am building near SD quoted me a price of 20,000 dop for 9 window screens and one screen door. Seems high to me but I have not bought either before in the DR. Anyone know where I can check on the price and buy them myself in S.D. Appreciate it. Dominicans do not seem to believe in screening the windows for some reason. Maybe they think it stops the breeze? Always wondered.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The best way to do it if possible is to have the screens made by the same company that makes the windows. That way they will fit best and likely be the same quality as the doors and windows. Adding the screens later can be far more inefficient and cost more.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A few years ago my Dominican girlfriend was watching TV with the screen opened near her. I told her to keep it closed. She said the breeze won't come through then. I went to the kitchen, filled up a large glass of cold water. I went on the patio off of the screen to the bedroom, closed the screen and threw the whole glass of water in her face through the screen.

She got the message and I got a new girlfriend.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dominicans Are Screen Experts.

... Dominicans ... Maybe they think it stops the breeze?

Dominicans are always right...

"Many assumptions are made regarding rear screens on louvers. A very limited amount of industry testing has been done and the data is only relevant for new, clean screens. Dirty screens will eventually reduce the free area significantly.
In general, the free area of a louver is unaffected by a clean screen. AMCA (Air Movement and Control Association) tested and published results for the effect of screens on louver airflow and water penetration in their January 1994 Techspecs document. These tests demonstrated a slightly positive or negative effect on airflow through the louver (depending on the type of screen). Pressure loss increased 11% to 17%. Water performance improved 12% to 33%. But screens under airflow will eventually get embedded with dirt and grime, so most of the industry data is not relevant to real world application.
For small mesh screens (under " mesh) used at air intake locations, the buildup of dirt and grime can reduce the free area 10% to 90%. If left without maintenance, the screens will eventually block most of the airflow. If access to the screens is limited or maintenance is questionable, large mesh screen should be used."

... my Dominican girlfriend was watching TV with the screen opened near her. I told her to keep it closed. She said the breeze won't come through then. I went to the kitchen, filled up a large glass of cold water. I went on the patio off of the screen to the bedroom, closed the screen and threw the whole glass of water in her face through the screen.

Dominicans are always right...

Although you threw the whole glass of water at her face, a good amount of it was reduced by the screen. :bunny:
She was not dumb. ;)

donP

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Dominicans do not seem to believe in screening the windows for some reason. Maybe they think it stops the breeze?

Unless I was day dreaming at the time of my testing, it does not stop the breeze but it definitely seems to hamper the amount of free flow. When I open the screen door air flows in much more rapidly in my experience. (Big Time!)

Now if you can find a screening material that has larger openings, then the reduction will not be as bad.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
ok, I got it on the window screens. Where is SD do I go to buy a screened aluminum door. Nothing fancy.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
we have them on some windows... any ventana guy can do ti and retrofit is perfectly fine......

you can get a million prices from the ventana guys

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have screens on all our windows, but we bought them with the windows. I've never seen a screen door in DR, we use Magic Mesh, which has worked pretty good for us!!

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
damn the screen kit is dirt cheap in home depot usa but you have to make them but they have pre made screens there also. i would find a company and pay them to ship the screen and door there as long as the shipping is reasonable

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Thanks everyone. I am going to just make the screed door out of wood. Checking with the window manufacturers for screens t o match their windows. Great ideas and advice. Appreciate it. Checking Home Depot tomorrow for the kits. Thanks