SDQ Santo Domingo Airport Report

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but we just went to the Las Americas SDQ Santo Domingo "whateveryoucallit" Airport. They finished remodeling a section of the terminal. It looks very nice. They added a Carl Jr's burger place, which was very good. I only eat fast food maybe once per year, and I never tried Carl's, so it was pretty good. It was a little expenses for the burger, fries and coke, maybe around $12 USD. Years ago the fast food places would call it a value meal. Now they call it a combo. Fast food historically was fast and cheap. Now it is just fast.
I don't understand the pricing on booze and coffee as well. When you come down from the upstairs terminal, you are almost forced to walk through the duty free shop where you will find great prices on Barcelo. For the big bottle it is only $16 USD. If you continue on to a shop with Santo Domingo coffee, they want $12 per bag which is more than double what you would pay in the country.
The other parts of the terminal were remodeled very nicely. At the Mango Cafe, my daughter gave the thumbs down the on Lemon juice, but thumbs up on the Chinola. There is a smokers lounge, as well as other restaurants which has view of the runway, giving you some good daylight as well.
By the way, the nearby Hampton Inn, which is very nice and clean and modern with just average food and a nice rooftop pool, no longer offers the shuttle to the airport, but has taxi's waiting for $11 to the airport. The driver was very nice and helpful and did not drive like a lunatic. Gave him 1000 pesos. Everyone clapped when we landed at JFK. Life is good.

Reactions: cavok

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
1000 pesos from the Hampton Inn to the airport? He must have thought all his Christmases came at once, you could pretty much walk that one, it's only a couple of miles at most.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but we just went to the Las Americas SDQ Santo Domingo "whateveryoucallit" Airport. They finished remodeling a section of the terminal. It looks very nice. They added a Carl Jr's burger place, which was very good. I only eat fast food maybe once per year, and I never tried Carl's, so it was pretty good. It was a little expenses for the burger, fries and coke, maybe around $12 USD. Years ago the fast food places would call it a value meal. Now they call it a combo. Fast food historically was fast and cheap. Now it is just fast.
I don't understand the pricing on booze and coffee as well. When you come down from the upstairs terminal, you are almost forced to walk through the duty free shop where you will find great prices on Barcelo. For the big bottle it is only $16 USD. If you continue on to a shop with Santo Domingo coffee, they want $12 per bag which is more than double what you would pay in the country.
The other parts of the terminal were remodeled very nicely. At the Mango Cafe, my daughter gave the thumbs down the on Lemon juice, but thumbs up on the Chinola. There is a smokers lounge, as well as other restaurants which has view of the runway, giving you some good daylight as well.
By the way, the nearby Hampton Inn, which is very nice and clean and modern with just average food and a nice rooftop pool, no longer offers the shuttle to the airport, but has taxi's waiting for $11 to the airport. The driver was very nice and helpful and did not drive like a lunatic. Gave him 1000 pesos. Everyone clapped when we landed at JFK. Life is good.
It's working the first automatic check point door? the one open with your borading pass. I traveled in april 13th but was not in service yet.

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
The AILA remodeling was done by a friend of mine I've mentioned here before: https://www.codelpa.com/

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
It's working the first automatic check point door? the one open with your borading pass. I traveled in april 13th but was not in service yet.
That I did not see. I had to show my passport to about 12 people.