SDQ to Bus or Stay The Night

Mattinnorfolk

Dec 15, 2013
I fly into SDQ and then have a short stay at a resort in Las Terranas that begins the next afternoon. I get in around 130 pm in May, and trying to decide if staying one night in Santo Domingo and going on bus the next day is best or should I go straight from airport to bus terminal and travel up. I read on net its like $40 to go from airport to the bus terminal? It seems excessive, or is UBER and option? I an 60 and a single guy for what it is worth. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I agree with WW. A taxi to the bus station used to be $20US. I haven't taken one in almost 2 years so they could have gone up.

The only bus station I use for trips like that is Caribe Tours. Check online with them to see if they meet your schedule. Their busses are 1st class.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
He just needs to get to the terminal at #7... the toll road....

Easy from there via a variety of options...
Caribe Tours - smaller group transports ...... guaguas

Mattinnorfolk

Dec 15, 2013
Thank you both, as Caribe was what I was thinking as well, and go up and get travel out of way. This will be my first trip to Las Terranas but had good experience using Caribe before. I'll do a night in Santo Domingo on my way out and have a nice meal and see if I can find a date on Cupid that wants dinner.

Reactions: Riva_31

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Nice terminal.... get a snack/beer or both....

About 1/2 hr to SD..... or more.....

Have a nice trip/visit

Easy to get a room in LT

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I fly into SDQ and then have a short stay at a resort in Las Terranas that begins the next afternoon. I get in around 130 pm in May, and trying to decide if staying one night in Santo Domingo and going on bus the next day is best or should I go straight from airport to bus terminal and travel up. I read on net its like $40 to go from airport to the bus terminal? It seems excessive, or is UBER and option? I an 60 and a single guy for what it is worth. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Back in January uber was under $1000DOP, if you wait for the rate, to the other side of Santo Domingo (near Plaza Luperon).

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Does Caribe Tours go to LT now? I thought they only went to Sanchez and then you needed to get a taxi

You are right, Caribe Tours goes to Sanchez, NOT LT, the company which goes to LT is called Transporte las terrenas (Asotrapusa).

"La parada Samana " is next to Caribe tours a little before the new highway (although they have a stop behind Plaza Lama). Last time I took it, it was $700 DOP

Back to the OP, there is a 3 PM bus which reaches the parada Samana about half an hour later, you can make it. Airport Taxis knows the parada, it is a 10 minutes ride at most and shouldn't be more than 15-20 USD. The bus is confortable, maybe cold due to AC. Easy ride for a single person (done it with 2 kids in tow). If it s on weekends, I would advise to call reserve it, that s all.

Reactions: Mattinnorfolk

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Thank you both, as Caribe was what I was thinking as well, and go up and get travel out of way. This will be my first trip to Las Terranas but had good experience using Caribe before. I'll do a night in Santo Domingo on my way out and have a nice meal and see if I can find a date on Cupid that wants dinner.
Good plan.....Africaida has good info....you may want to rethink the part about find a date on cupid.....

Reactions: Africaida

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Be careful with the Transporte Las Terrenas bus. I am pretty sure they only have one big bus, which leaves at 1.20pm from Plaza Lama, from memory. The rest of their service is by 30-seater pack-them-in-to-the-roof buses which I wouldn't recommend. The 1.20pm bus also usually leaves full, often leaves early (when it's full it goes) and quite often drives straight past the stop on Las Americas. I would probably suggest that the OP stays in Santo Domingo so he can get the 1.20 bus from Plaza Lama .

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Can I also say that with the Covid protocols at SDQ, I wouldn't rely on getting out of the airport in an hour. The last time I arrived it was a good 90 minutes before I was out.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Can I also say that with the Covid protocols at SDQ, I wouldn't rely on getting out of the airport in an hour. The last time I arrived it was a good 90 minutes before I was out.
I came in on January 14th, and the only problem I had was calling back to the states to get the fraud alert on my cards lifted. Getting out was another story. The testing for boarding clearance process wasn't smooth in the first week.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I, myself, if I only have a few hours btwn arriving in SD & making a flight & not wanting to spend muchos dineros on a hotel room (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't) will book my sorry old a** into a cabana, sleep the 5 hours, and head to the airport.

Reactions: Yo No