Searching for grilling and smoking supplies in Santo Domingo/Santo Domingo este

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Let me start by saying I am a new member. I have used the search option and did not find any information useful to me on the subject. Specifically I am looking for supplies for grilling and Smoking. Charcoal and hardwood chunks. I would like to find a supplier of Kingsford Charcoal. And I would like to find hardwood chunks (type does not matter). If I cannot find hardwood chunks already to go I am perfectly fine with a source of hardwood and doing the sizing myself. My Dominican neighbors have told me there is a type of wood native to the island that is used for traditional cooking and they are looking for it for me. But I have not found anyone close to me that is into outdoor cooking and so far my inquires have not led to any results.
I already found a charcoal and gas grill along with a multi-fuel smoker. There was a excellent post on the names of the different cuts of beef and pork that was very helpful to me. My thanks in advance and my apologies if this subject has been discussed. Maybe I did not put in the right keywords (BBQ grills, smoking, Kingsford) to find what I was looking for. I did happen upon a post about turning coconut husks into charcoal and found it to be a interesting idea for the future. Something to think about after I buy my finca and have perfected my grilling/smoking techniques.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Let me start by saying I am a new member. I have used the search option and did not find any information useful to me on the subject. Specifically I am looking for supplies for grilling and Smoking. Charcoal and hardwood chunks. I would like to find a supplier of Kingsford Charcoal. And I would like to find hardwood chunks (type does not matter). If I cannot find hardwood chunks already to go I am perfectly fine with a source of hardwood and doing the sizing myself. My Dominican neighbors have told me there is a type of wood native to the island that is used for traditional cooking and they are looking for it for me. But I have not found anyone close to me that is into outdoor cooking and so far my inquires have not led to any results.
I already found a charcoal and gas grill along with a multi-fuel smoker. There was a excellent post on the names of the different cuts of beef and pork that was very helpful to me. My thanks in advance and my apologies if this subject has been discussed. Maybe I did not put in the right keywords (BBQ grills, smoking, Kingsford) to find what I was looking for. I did happen upon a post about turning coconut husks into charcoal and found it to be a interesting idea for the future. Something to think about after I buy my finca and have perfected my grilling/smoking techniques.
Jumbo had specialty charcoal & wood chips Jack Daniels apple last time I bought a bunch there..

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Local charcoal is readily available if you ask around
Campo charcoal (or traditional carbon) is inconsistent for my purposes and uses. So of course it is available. I might try it for thin steaks for direct heat cooking when you are looking for a good sear around 900 degrees. I have not tried that yet. Currently, I am working on my indirect low and slow cooking skills.

My Dominican neighbor (who happens to be a electrical engineer) came over to check out what I was doing when I was learning my new grill and doing heat calibrations runs. He saw my thermometer and my timer and my notes and asked me what I was doing. I explained it to him and he said most Dominicans don't do it that way.

It's fun and games outside with beer, rum dominoes. We start the fire🔥 and cook. Now thats a fire‼ Sometimes the meat gets a little burned but it's all good. We had a laugh together. But he promised he would help find the 2 inch by 2 inch hardwood blocks that I need for smoking. I told him that when I learn what I am doing, there is a smoked chicken with his name on it. Bet! Fist bump and he was out. I went back to my calibrations.

Just talked to him yesterday and he is still looking for me and so am I.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Jumbo had specialty charcoal & wood chips Jack Daniels apple last time I bought a bunch there..
And Sirena has something called Green Eco chips (or something similar)

Always keep in mind it's the local custom to cook things until they are almost charred. Even the chicken you buy in most broiled chicken places except Pricesmart have burnt wings.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Funny you should mention that. Because it is so true. That is why there are only a few select places where I buy cooked meat.

Chicken only needs to be brought to 73.8 C to be properly cooked. That is why when I am doing indirect cooking I bring it to 71.1 C then slide it over to the direct cooking side and bring her home to 73.8 while browning and crisping the skin (if there is any).

Last burn, I did two batches of boneless skinless chicken breasts. One batch I marinated the breasts for about 3 hours and I always add a teaspoon of sugar to help with browning. On the other batch I was only going to use for soup, chicken salad and to add to salads later in the in the week. I only dry brined it with salt and added some fresh ground pepper just before it hit the grill.

The first batch came off the grill a golden brown. I did not even have to hit them with fire on the direct side. And the second batch did not. They were still (can we use color for descriptions here?) white. My guests saw the second batch and told me they were not done. I just smiled. Both batches came off the grill between the right temp or above. And the were both were very moist and juicy with just a slight hint of smoke.

My guests enjoyed my first batch. It was a straight BOOYAO moment for me. I enjoyed the results of my second batch all week. Long way from being a grill master. But I am making progress.

Rain all weekend and I have not been able to put any work in on the grill. But as soon as the weather breaks I’m firing it up again. Now, that’s a fire. 🔥

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Funny you should mention that. Because it is so true. That is why there are only a few select places where I buy cooked meat.

Chicken only needs to be brought to 73.8 C to be properly cooked. That is why when I am doing indirect cooking I bring it to 71.1 C then slide it over to the direct cooking side and bring her home to 73.8 while browning and crisping the skin (if there is any).

Rain all weekend and I have not been able to put any work in on the grill. But as soon as the weather breaks I’m firing it up again. Now, that’s a fire. 🔥

There's nothing quite like buying a chicken salad at any fast food place and picking one of two choices: Fried or griddle.

Fried are always a dark brown and griddle chicken is always browned from overcooking. Fries are the same. You need an ax to bite into them.

Fries chicken nuggets are the same; Even though the frying is timed to meet company standards for uniformity, they'll always take their time to pull them out of the oil "to make sure they're done"

And good luck trying to explain to them you want them to pull them out the second the timer goes off.. lol

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas