Seaweed is back

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It is worthy of a separate subject.. new developments have sprung up like mushrooms in the eastern region including Samana regardless of the seaweed. My bank contacts and Dominican friends tell me it is almost always people moving from the capital. Whether this is because of the Covid or the traffic or the pollution I do not know but it is not difficult to see the construction in Hato Mayor, La Romana Nueva, Caleta in la Romana and Villa hermosa and in the Punta Cana/Bavaro areas including Veron. Even in sleepy Higuey. However all the construction is within the resort or town boundaries and I have seen no cutting up of agricultural land nor scrub land outside the boundaries. There is no doubt that there is a huge population move to the east and this can be verified by the increase in traffic on the Coral Highway and in the increase in services and shopping out lets in the east. Goodness know when we will have another census to tell us more, This is in response to Se Fue la Luz and a little off topic.

Reactions: Se fue la luz

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
It is worthy of a separate subject.. new developments have sprung up like mushrooms in the eastern region including Samana regardless of the seaweed. My bank contacts and Dominican friends tell me it is almost always people moving from the capital. Whether this is because of the Covid or the traffic or the pollution I do not know but it is not difficult to see the construction in Hato Mayor, La Romana Nueva, Caleta in la Romana and Villa hermosa and in the Punta Cana/Bavaro areas including Veron. Even in sleepy Higuey. However all the construction is within the resort or town boundaries and I have seen no cutting up of agricultural land nor scrub land outside the boundaries. There is no doubt that there is a huge population move to the east and this can be verified by the increase in traffic on the Coral Highway and in the increase in services and shopping out lets in the east. Goodness know when we will have another census to tell us more, This is in response to Se Fue la Luz and a little off topic.

No offense or anything but...
Sleepy Higüey?
lol.
I've heard Higüey called a lot of things but sleepy has never been one of them.
Perhaps you were joking?
Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the context.
Anyway...
It's not important.
Ignore me.
I just couldn't resist.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The real estate market has always been dominated by Dominicans. Now because of Covid the Dominican participation could be higher as foreigners taper off, but its not as if most of the sector wasn't dominated by Dominicans pre-Covid. Some projects, particularly in some areas of Bávaro, Sosúa, Las Terrenas became owned mostly by foreigners/expats and it could give the impression that type of real estate has mostly foreigners market, but in reality Dominicans move much of the luxury market too. There are places like this within certain tourist areas too.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
You seem to have missed the point. I wrote that it was people moving from the capital, not Dominicans in general.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Gosh, I just spent the weekend at the Melia in Punta Cana and it was horrific. You had to wade through about five feet of it to get into the water.
Thank you for going back on topic.(Even one of the mods missed the topic in post #111 lol) Did you mange to take any pics. I was in Bavaro in early June and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as Uvero Alto.

• Haha
Reactions: Se fue la luz

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Thank you for going back on topic.(Even one of the mods missed the topic in post #111 lol) Did you mange to take any pics. I was in Bavaro in early June and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as Uvero Alto.
Sorry, I purposely didn't take pictures because it was so bad. I saw the line they made about 30 ft from the shore, but it didn't really seem to make a difference as to the amount of it floating at the water's edge. And because there isn't much wave action at that property it was literally floating against the beach. I did take some pictures the other week of it on El Cortecito where it wasn't being cleaned up to show the volume to a friend.

Reactions: melphis

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
It was very bad, I was in Hard Rock resort at the beginning of this month.

JJ

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not much has been mentioned about north coast seaweed sightings....
and I hadn't seen much until recently

For the last 2 days , in front of Cabo Frances Viejo, ther has been large swaths of seaweed - a mile or so long.
And it just keeps coming.

La Entrada is inundated

Any word from Cabarete/Sosua ?

It seems to drift west to east in my area..... as I watch it

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Not much has been mentioned about north coast seaweed sightings....
and I hadn't seen much until recently

For the last 2 days , in front of Cabo Frances Viejo, ther has been large swaths of seaweed - a mile or so long.
And it just keeps coming.

La Entrada is inundated

Any word from Cabarete/Sosua ?

It seems to drift west to east in my area..... as I watch it
Zero seaweed at Playa Sosua....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well, we didn't have any either until recently..... the last few months for Las Entrada

But the scene I'm seeing now - I have NEVER seen before..... Cabo Frances

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well, we didn't have any either until recently..... the last few months for Las Entrada

But the scene I'm seeing now - I have NEVER seen before..... Cabo Frances
I doubt Sosua or Cabarete will be affected, but time will tell, climate change and all...

habi

Oct 17, 2015
Sosua was only affected at the Sandcastle beach but Cabarete.... We did experience some strange wind direction last week what caused the Sargassum to get to our shores...:cry: