Second metro line to resume in Santo Domingo Este

bronzeallspice

Platinum
Mar 26, 2012
11,006
0
36
Dominican Republic allocates US$651M for 2nd subway line



Santo Domingo.- Finance minister Sim?n Lizardo on Monday announced a disbursement to resume construction of Santo Domingo’s 2nd Metro Line, in Santo Domingo East.

In a National Palace press conference, the official said the Metro Office ( OPRET) will be provided RD$2.8 billion of the RD$4 billion requested to continue the work.

Construction of the mass transit system had been halted on lack of funding in this year’s budget.

The announcement comes after civil society and community groups in Santo Domingo East had staged several protests, vigils and rallies in front of the offices of the ruling PLD party to demand that the work continue.


http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...Republic-allocates-US651M-for-2nd-subway-line
 

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
2,982
1
0
I think this is good news. Metro has become an excellent alternative for people who live in SD east. Users I've talked to are very satisfied with the service and safety Metro provides compared to conchos or guaguas, And it's cheaper, too.
I'm sure there are "guisos" too. But there will always be, and I rather have a metro in spite of the guisos than guisos and no metro. They will always find they way to get the jeepetas CC talks about, so the least they can do is take some of the jeepeta money to build the metro.
 

bronzeallspice

Platinum
Mar 26, 2012
11,006
0
36
Work has begun on the second Metro line

Evictions. The OPRET has evicted 286 families to make way for the continuation of the second line of the Metro, on that side.

Santo Domingo

The Office for the Reorganization of Transportation (OPRET) began work on the extension of the second metro line in Santo Domingo, in the Gualey sector under the bridge "17".

After the government announced that the resources available for the continuation of the second line, the OPRET began the process of clearing the land where they have been evicting about 286 families.

According to the deputy director of the entity, Leonel Carrasco, still remain to evict over 450 families, a process that has been said calmly and without opposition from those living there.

He said it is a "autodesalojo" as it has been an accepted agreement signed by them. He said he has been given plans and resources to build them homes elsewhere.

He argued that the site clearance will continue as resources flow and speed up work.

Residents who remain in the area said their homes were surveyed and marked, but does not yet have information or OPRET has negotiated with them.

They also called on the government to review the bottom of the bridge, after ensuring that they have fallen pieces of iron and constitutes a danger to them. "I washed my face, but have not really done anything."

A team of Listin Diario volteos observed two trucks and a backhoe and several workers removing rubble of demolished houses.

The extension of the second line, with a total of about 385 million,will cover a bridge crossing the river Ozama Megacentro, four stations on the road Mella in Santo Domingo.

The stations will be located, one in Venezuela Avenue, one in Fernando de Navarrete, Trina Moya and another in the Mella highway.

Calls for patience

patience Carrasco asked the residents of San Luis industry, noting they will bring the line up there in no time and has denied that the government is not able to do so.

He recalled that President Danilo Medina had said last year that the Metro would continue, and at the moment, that promise is being fulfilled.

(+)
TRANSPORT ON RIVERS AND ISABELA OZAMA

"We've told (the President) about such difficulty. We're going to get to Mega Centro which is an important point of convergence avenues San Vicente de Paul and Mella old road, "he said. The deputy director of the OPRET said the central government with another institution prepares a draft for river transport to mobilize the residents who live along the Ozama and Isabela rivers, so they can get to the Metro stop. He said one of the stops for the new system will run on the border of Los Gunadules and Gualey sectors where they are evicting..
 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
33,440
1,447
113
This fills my heart with incredible joy.

I do jest.. Actually never going to Santo Domingo again would be more joyful, but the government keeps coming up with ways to force me there.

May the Metro riders fare well.
 

SkyBlues

Member
Apr 8, 2011
100
3
18
Does anyone know if tickets for the Metro can still be bought in ticket booths at the stations? I remember that they were planning to only sell tickets online and hope this isn't introduced yet.
 

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
21,843
188
0
34
yahoomail.com
Since about 85% of dominican homes have no computers, selling "Only Online" would not be productive.
My stepson buys tickets most days, at the stations.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
 

kenthedentman

New member
Apr 10, 2012
418
0
0
Probably have to use e pesos. Lmao. Actually though i agree the metro is an asset. Not that there still wont be a million excuses for not being able to attend school or work.
 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
33,440
1,447
113
Probably have to use e pesos. Lmao. Actually though i agree the metro is an asset. Not that there still wont be a million excuses for not being able to attend school or work.
Yes you beat me to the Epeso comment. Can't even use a credit card here safely and everyone is going to Epesos.