Second US phone nr

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I was today looking at setting up a second phone nr. Has to be a US nr. I have a DR nr on my Iphone. I was looking at Google Voice as I use Google Workspace. But I don’t think it’s possible as it has to be setup with a line with SIM and can’t be with a DR nr. I also saw an App called 2number but never heard about it before. Then I thought of Skype and haven’t used it in years. Does anybody now what is the best solution?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

Gives you a US number in most any State you choose. All calls to the US are free. You can use a landline or there is an app for your cell, or both. Works like a charm as long as you have internet anywhere in the World.

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008

Gives you a US number in most any State you choose. All calls to the US are free. You can use a landline or there is an app for your cell, or both. Works like a charm as long as you have internet anywhere in the World.
I just want to have it on my Iphone. I can then answer incoming calls from the US to my US Miami nr that I set up on the Magic App ?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I just want to have it on my Iphone. I can then answer incoming calls from the US to my US Miami nr that I set up on the Magic App ?

This is the app for both IPhone and Android, works on both.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I have a (free) app on my phone called Second Line - like a burner phone, you choose the area code and then are given a choice of available numbers. Calls are free to US and Canada, texting included.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I have a (free) app on my phone called Second Line - like a burner phone, you choose the area code and then are given a choice of available numbers. Calls are free to US and Canada, texting included.
There is one App called 2Number. Sounds similar. Can you then receive calls to that number on your smartphone?

Reactions: Riva_31

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I always thought that the "burner" phones or anything similar are not "free" for DR numbers. You needed "credits and/or cash credit"? Maybe this is just if you use a number in DR (area code 809,829..)

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I am undecided still. I couldn't use Google Voice as you need to link it to a US phone. Can’t be a DR account. I am considering Skype or Magic which Sky recommended. Obviously my Iphone is set up with my DR cel nr. I need the best App which gives a US nr that I can receive calls with on my Iphone and I can make calls to the US and maybe texting.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I am undecided still. I couldn't use Google Voice as you need to link it to a US phone. Can’t be a DR account. I am considering Skype or Magic which Sky recommended. Obviously my Iphone is set up with my DR cel nr. I need the best App which gives a US nr that I can receive calls with on my Iphone and I can make calls to the US and maybe texting.
Google talk for Dominican number do not let you have a USA base number, just Voice over google voice .

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
I use Skype and it works well.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I use Google Voice with a US number on my iPhone which has a Dominican number with Altice. I did not recall having to link Google Voice to a true US number, since I don't have a true US number. I just got a Google Voice with a US number when I started to use it on my Dominican cell phone.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Skype is fine, just don't choose a 786 area code loaded with scammers calling 786 numbers. I had Skype to change number to a 305 area code. I use Skype on my cell and web.skype on my windows laptop.

Oooh I almost forgot.. I also use Telegram, WhatsApp, Line and Signal, but Skype is still the only one giving me a US number.

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Skype is fine, just don't choose a 786 area code loaded with scammers calling 786 numbers. I had Skype to change number to a 305 area code. I use Skype on my cell and web.skype on my windows laptop.

Oooh I almost forgot.. I also use Telegram, WhatsApp, Line and Signal, but Skype is still the only one giving me a US number.
I use WhatsApp a lot and I have Telegram but don’t use it much. I use Messenger from FB quite a lot to. I think I am going to go with Skype and will try and set it up with a 305 nr. For some reason I couldn’t use Google Voice with a DR based Iphone and my Google Workspace was originally set up with a DR address.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
There is one App called 2Number. Sounds similar. Can you then receive calls to that number on your smartphone?
Yes I can receive calls on my smartphone - because it's free there are ads on it, but I pay no attention to them. And it is tied to a US phone number not my DR number.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Yes I can receive calls on my smartphone - because it's free there are ads on it, but I pay no attention to them. And it is tied to a US phone number not my DR number.
I have a DR line so I need a service where that is possible.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Have you tried Adblock plus on your phone? I have it on mine (and my pc) and I believe it blocks the vast majority of them.