Security Alarms for Homes

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
13,528
177
63
What is the best source, in terms of variety as well as price, of alarms and other security devices for homes?
 

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
700
0
0
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Hola Ken,
In the past we've used Alerta in Santiago. Guy called Juan Castillo. Don't know how valid this contact number is ... Cell: 707 0582 Tel: 583 6900 - 582 5075
Only problem we've had is that they are a bit far from Cabarete.
 

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
655
14
0
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Got mine in Santiago

Not too techy, not too expensive - Radio Shack have a good line in wireless, install it yourself stuff. I put it in my garage in an afternoon. They go right up to video camera stuff so you should find a good package. - Don't forget to haggle over the price. We got a huge reduction when we asked nicely.
 

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
13,528
177
63
Simon & Nicky said:
Not too techy, not too expensive - Radio Shack have a good line in wireless, install it yourself stuff. I put it in my garage in an afternoon. They go right up to video camera stuff so you should find a good package. - Don't forget to haggle over the price. We got a huge reduction when we asked nicely.
Where? Santo Domingo? Do you recall which store it was?

Thanks.
 

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
3,682
150
0
a 150lb rottweiler makes a great deterrent...if they get past him ..they're welcome to help themselves.
 

gjsuk

Member
Apr 7, 2003
170
0
16
alarms in Sosua

Don't know what the store is called or the name of the plaza, but head out of Sosua towards Cabarete....it's the plaza before the Carwash, next to the Puerta/Ventana store is a German run electronics store.

They sell all sorts of alarms (windows/doors/whole house)along with inverters and wind turbine thingys.

Was in there today....no idea of prices as I didn't ask.

Take your German phrasebook with you!!
 

gjsuk

Member
Apr 7, 2003
170
0
16
ahh shucks

busted!!!!

no excuse really but thought you may be busy organizing the head wetting night or sorting out your water collection contraption now that we have some rain again!!!
 

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
281
0
0
Alarms

gjsuk said:
Don't know what the store is called or the name of the plaza, but head out of Sosua towards Cabarete....it's the plaza before the Carwash, next to the Puerta/Ventana store is a German run electronics store.

They sell all sorts of alarms (windows/doors/whole house)along with inverters and wind turbine thingys.

Was in there today....no idea of prices as I didn't ask.

Take your German phrasebook with you!!
Thanks ... I will visit this place tomorrow and get some details and will post here again.

I also know that there is a Security Meeting on Saturday 21st May at 11 am - El Colibri Resort, Calle Pedro Clisante, El Batey (Close to the Car Wash). Meeting is to discuss the crime rate in Sosua and surrounding areas. I have seen posters and flyers around. I will be there for sure !!
 

Tuan

New member
Aug 28, 2004
204
2
0
Inverters and Motion Detector Lights

My automatic Infra Red (motion detector) lights sometimes fail to function on the inverter -- or they switch to a floodlight program (permanently on) when a peak load arises, say, if the refrigerator and the water pump both start at the same time. Has anyone found a brand of IR lights which work well with all inverters, or an inverter that works well with all IR lights?
 

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
560
6
0
paddy said:
a 150lb rottweiler makes a great deterrent...if they get past him ..they're welcome to help themselves.

I'll take a 75 lb malinois. they don't take prisoners they have thieves for breakfeast


Greetings


Johan
 

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
641
0
0
87
Alarm systems.

Ken said:
What is the best source, in terms of variety as well as price, of alarms and other security devices for homes?
About 10 years ago in the States I bought an alarm that can't be topped!
It's a tape recording of an attack dog in a plastic box about 8"x6"x6". It "sees" through a reinforced concrete wall. Adjustable sensitivity, Dog reacts (barks) at any moving object. Battery or 110V with transformer. The closer the movement, the louder and more agitated is the bark. No need to feed, walk or take this dog to the vet! It never sleeps...I don't remember which store, believe it was in an alarm systems one. Cost me $110US. Nobody breaks in when they hear this dog. Canadian Bob.
 

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
13,528
177
63
canadian bob said:
About 10 years ago in the States I bought an alarm that can't be topped!
It's a tape recording of an attack dog in a plastic box about 8"x6"x6". It "sees" through a reinforced concrete wall. Adjustable sensitivity, Dog reacts (barks) at any moving object. Battery or 110V with transformer. The closer the movement, the louder and more agitated is the bark. No need to feed, walk or take this dog to the vet! It never sleeps...I don't remember which store, believe it was in an alarm systems one. Cost me $110US. Nobody breaks in when they hear this dog. Canadian Bob.
Sounds great, CB. Do you have information on a source?
 

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
13,528
177
63
Chester4 said:
Thanks ... I will visit this place tomorrow and get some details and will post here again.
Chester, you were going to post details re the security store between Sosua and Cabarete. Did you check it out?

I'm wondering exactly where it is located? Is it in that mall outside Sosua were CeduComp has a computer store?