Security in DR

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Last Christmas we were in our house in Cutler Bay (Miami). By mistake my wife trigger the alarm . Two minutes !!!!!!!! later arrives two!!!! polis units and ask whats going on.
I felt very safe in that moment.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
here in DR safety depends on neighbours too. few years ago we had our furniture delivered: the gate was wide open, with an old pickup blocking the exit, few men coming in and out. our neighbour, on her way home, stopped and demanded to know what going on and where the owners were. i went outside and she asked me few times if everything was ok.

we look after each other. if we see something out of the ordinary we call, we ask, we take interest. it matters.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
here in DR safety depends on neighbours too. few years ago we had our furniture delivered: the gate was wide open, with an old pickup blocking the exit, few men coming in and out. our neighbour, on her way home, stopped and demanded to know what going on and where the owners were. i went outside and she asked me few times if everything was ok.

we look after each other. if we see something out of the ordinary we call, we ask, we take interest. it matters.
Sounds nice and its normal. But that is not my point.In spite how nice people you have around you, or how safe you drive, a accident or some type of aggression against you or your family always can occur. Thats because people have insurance. But when the insurance not cover your problem comes the real problem.
In DR you must be very lucky if a ambulance bring you to a hospital when you need it. In DR you must be very lucky if the polis come and help you in time. Try to rig to the polis once here, you will be surprised about the responds. There is NO response.
Thats is the BIG difference between a civilan country and a wild west country like DR. Thats because I feel unsafe here. If really something happen, you must be really happy to get some help.
Than you can have dogs good people around you and all other protection. Why people have insurance. To get help when you really need it. When it comes to reality, here more or less NOTHING work.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Sounds like the same treatment I allow my dogs, one minute of arse sniffing a stranger and then we have to leave before it gets frisky. Must be nice to be trusted:p

Well she tells me she trusts me but she doesnt trust any other women.. and off course to save me from the ladrones..
I have experienced this in other South American countries and believe me I have had worse :)

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Sounds nice and its normal. But that is not my point.In spite how nice people you have around you, or how safe you drive, a accident or some type of aggression against you or your family always can occur. Thats because people have insurance. But when the insurance not cover your problem comes the real problem.
In DR you must be very lucky if a ambulance bring you to a hospital when you need it. In DR you must be very lucky if the polis come and help you in time. Try to rig to the polis once here, you will be surprised about the responds. There is NO response.
Thats is the BIG difference between a civilan country and a wild west country like DR. Thats because I feel unsafe here. If really something happen, you must be really happy to get some help.
Than you can have dogs good people around you and all other protection. Why people have insurance. To get help when you really need it. When it comes to reality, here more or less NOTHING work.

That hasn't happened in my experiences yet...

When I need the fiscal, he is there for me...
When I need a doctor, he/she is there for me...
When I need the police, the teniente is there for me...

It is all about getting to know your environment and cultivating some relationship before you run into problems...

Take the fiscal, the doctor and the teniente out to lunch, bring them something for the year's end, talk to them, get to know them as a person... show them that you really care about people and if you're in need....when you call they will pick up the phone and help you..

I'm not talking about big presents, just lunch, show an interest, where you will learn many things to your advantage, who/what/where can be trusted, who/what/where can't be trusted and why, who got promoted, people see you with them and know you're serious so you have much less problems down the road... there are so many benefits to getting to know them, when you pick up the lunch check you know you're getting a bargain...

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

It is all about getting to know your environment and cultivating some relationship before you run into problems...

Take the fiscal, the doctor and the teniente out to lunch, bring them something for the year's end, talk to them, get to know them as a person... show them that you really care about people and if you're in need....when you call they will pick up the phone and help you..

I'm not talking about big presents, just lunch, show an interest, where you will learn many things to your advantage, who/what/where can be trusted, who/what/where can't be trusted and why, who got promoted, people see you with them and know you're serious so you have much less problems down the road... there are so many benefits to getting to know them, when you pick up the lunch check you know you're getting a bargain...

That's how corruption starts and that's why people don't feel safe. I know how it works here and I play the game but why you have to "bribe" someone to do his job?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
That's how corruption starts and that's why people don't feel safe. I know how it works here and I play the game but why you have to "bribe" someone to do his job?

I hear what you're saying but I'm not sure about that... for me it's about cultivating a social circle of your peers rather than hanging out with the 'usual tourist worker in any way shape or form' crowd (not saying you do this)... these people are valuable and they value their time; it's up to you to break into this circle somehow... then it's just maintaining relationships... with social equals but they still have less then me; so I do pick up a little more than my share.. but would do the same back home when going out with poorer friends or relatives..

It's all about making an effort from both sides; when I have a beach party, a BBQ or a party these people also show up and they don't show up empty handed; they bring booze, food, music, transport..... to show that they come for the company and not to freeload... together we sponsor the less fortunate parts of the guests.. those who don't have work at the moment or are motoconcho drivers... we provide for them and they provide other parts of the party, like manning the bar, setting the tables, cleaning, cooking.. it is soo much fun to sit on the beach playing dominoes and getting fresh drinks/food/snacks brought by a young tigere cousin who is making sure you have everything you need

Everyone does their share and those shares need't be equal in my opinion to have a good time...

Who knows how much sacrifice a person who brings 5 Grandes and a bag of ice must make relative to me to bring this? He might have to sacrifice more relative to me...

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Well she tells me she trusts me but she doesnt trust any other women.. and off course to save me from the ladrones..
I have experienced this in other South American countries and believe me I have had worse :)

She's protecting her turf which includes income.
She does not want you to meet someone else you may like more.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I hear what you're saying but I'm not sure about that... for me it's about cultivating a social circle of your peers rather than hanging out with the 'usual tourist worker in any way shape or form' crowd (not saying you do this)... these people are valuable and they value their time; it's up to you to break into this circle somehow... then it's just maintaining relationships... with social equals but they still have less then me; so I do pick up a little more than my share.. but would do the same back home when going out with poorer friends or relatives..

I'm with Frank on this,
It's bribing and corruption through connections!
In my home country I need no connection with police, judges or doctors.
They do their work as required without a dinner invitation or a bottle of aged single malt Scotch.
Of course connections are valuable anywhere, but I feel safe without them in my home country.
Eddy who I consider calm and reasonable, leaves not much hope in post#4.
Keep in mind that he is a long term resident.
Remain calm and carry on!
We all live on the knife edge here, when something goes wrong we better be able to pay don't hope for law and justice.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I'm with Frank on this,
It's bribing and corruption through connections!
In my home country I need no connection with police, judges or doctors.
They do their work as required without a dinner invitation or a bottle of aged single malt Scotch.
Of course connections are valuable anywhere, but I feel safe without them in my home country.
Eddy who I consider calm and reasonable, leaves not much hope in post#4.
Keep in mind that he is a long term resident.
Remain calm and carry on!
We all live on the knife edge here, when something goes wrong we better be able to pay don't hope for law and justice.

I think we are getting somethings mixed up here..

In my home country I have a certain social circle which does include doctors, laywers, police, businessmen, politicians.. they represent the social circle I feel comfortable with

So I strive to have the same here in the Dr, because I feel comfortable with them and they with me..

In my home country the income digotomy between me and my friends is not the same as here in the DR.. but the social translation is the same - the stronger pick up some slack for the weaker

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
oh yes, and I never paid for hotel more than 400p/ day and everywhere I felt safe...so....
i feel secure here but i don't flash....i own only used motorbike (and laptop+ camera)...I don't rent a house, got longterm deals with hotels (which cost almost the same like renting apartament).
add to that - I visited like 50 places in this country, got 7,000 of mileage here on bike...and never ever felt unsafe...NEVER. ..never thing was stolen from me....
one time got small problem with stray dogs, but that was the only problem..i never ride during the night...i walk in places that i know until 11 pm...

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012

I see your point, You don't see mine.
Good luck, I hope you never have an accident with a drunk motoconcho or something like this.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I see your point, You don't see mine.
Good luck, I hope you never have an accident with a drunk motoconcho or something like this.

Thank you.

I did have a small accident with me and the missus returning from POP to Gaspar late at night after a concert. I overtook a camion that decided to turn left into Sea Horse Ranch when I was overtaking it. My good brakes and reflexes saved us from bodily harm. I did have a mirror that was broken.

After I stopped the 3 drivers started with the you're a gringo and you're gonna pay routine.. the 2 young guys esp were not so nice..

The discussion turned threatening, so I told the missus to call the fiscal (at 03:30 in the a.m., mind you)... and ask him to come over... they tought I was bluffing... the missus called the fiscal, he said he'd came out, I told the truck drivers to wait on the other side of the road...they cooled down..

When the fiscal came he determined that the camion was at fault and asked me what we wanted done... he did tell me privately that they were poor truck drivers and that I might want to take that into account.... so after setting them straight we send them on their way...

So yes I've been there and yes the system worked for me...

This is someone who is a long0time family friend...

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

It's all about making an effort from both sides; when I have a beach party, a BBQ or a party these people also show up and they don't show up empty handed; they bring booze, food, music, transport..... to show that they come for the company and not to freeload... together we sponsor the less fortunate parts of the guests.. those who don't have work at the moment or are motoconcho drivers... we provide for them and they provide other parts of the party, like manning the bar, setting the tables, cleaning, cooking.. it is soo much fun to sit on the beach playing dominoes and getting fresh drinks/food/snacks brought by a young tigere cousin who is making sure you have everything you need

Everyone does their share and those shares need't be equal in my opinion to have a good time...

Who knows how much sacrifice a person who brings 5 Grandes and a bag of ice must make relative to me to bring this? He might have to sacrifice more relative to me...

So all of the above is something that you also do back where you came from.
You invite the police chief, judge, taxi drivers, etc. to your BBQ, and take them out to dinner? Somehow I don't think so.
If you don't then we are back to how corruption starts.

Just read the post above, an I agree you should not need to do this in order to get people to due their job! An would you call the judge in your home country friend or not at 3am in the morning over a car accident?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
So all of the above is something that you also do back where you came from.
You invite the police chief, judge, taxi drivers, etc. to your BBQ, and take them out to dinner? Somehow I don't think so.
If you don't then we are back to how corruption starts.

Yes bienamor,

You are free to think whtever you like..

In fact do invite my friends for parties, dinners, etc.. they just happen to be businessmen, police, local officales and what have you...people I know from school, university or through my (family) network; a fair number of the older ones have received royal honors for their community services, a lot are also members of various social service clubs... and yes they do form a network, but like my friends in the DR, they are friends first, network second..

They are friends/people that make up part of my social circle, people first, what they do is secondary..

In fact just today I shook hands with the mayor of my hometown, just some social smalltalk on the day of the coronation of our new king... there were even a few people with royal honors there.. imagine that..