Security in DR

Makinater

May 4, 2013
Just look at Boston

As insensitive as it can be, but true in a way. Even though I readily admit that I know absolutely nothing about living in Boston, I know that there are some places - even in a relatively safe country as the US - where the murder rate per capita is more than twice the rate of D.R. Flint, Michigan, is one example with 64.9 murders for every 100,000 citizens (2012), as compared to the D.R. national average of 31 per 100,000 (2011) - for more info, check this link. Like someone said in this thread, I believe it's a matter of knowing where to go and where not to go, as some places are far more insecure than others, like San Jos? de Ocoa que desde 2009 en adelante ha mantenido un ?ndice de homicidios de entre 0.78 y 9.62 per 100,000 inhabitants (source here). And it's also a matter of what you do, how you act, and how you think about the whole concept of security (which implies a lot more than just carrying a gun). I would never walk anywhere at night in my neighborhood or the surrounding bloques, and even at day I would avoid many of los barrios del rio si no voy with a relative of mine that knows a lot of people there. That's just pushing one's luck.

Bottom line: even unsafe countries have safe places, just as safe countries have very unsafe places. When one knows enough to distinguish one from the other, I guess it's pretty ok in most places. Except war zones and places where they imprison you for talking bad about the king or flog you for drinking a glass of wine.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
I am always get a little upset when people compare safety in DR with for ex. United States. Safety is more than statistic. Take the traffic situation here. It is not a matter where you are or when you are on the streets here you are always in danger.Remember that poor young teacher who was killed tuesday at 10.00pm by what I learned a red light runner.
Thats because I never drive in darkness here, because you don't see this maniacs coming very often without light.
I drive my children every monday - friday to school at 7.25 am. coming from Cero Alto in Santiago down to Estrella Sahhala traffic light and waiting for green.
EVERY DAY TWO OR MORE IDIOTS run the red light on Estrella Sadhala every morning. Schoolbusdriver, taxi, conchos, Ede norte,Ochoatrucks name it. Nobody stops them its going on day per day. Because its light at 7.25 am you see that idiots and can let them pass but at night your done.
THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HERE AND US for example. Here they can do what they wont because the polis also run red light, in the Stated the will be stopped.
I am hardly not understand why so many people not see or not will see the difference

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
It all depends. It is hard to say how DR safety compares to the USA. I can't compare the DR and the US or a big country in general.

If you are in a ghetto in the USA, the murder rate could be the same or two or three times higher than the DR. The robberies and assaults could be high but murder rates could be lower. The auto theft might be through the roof but the murder rate may be down. The rapes may be super high with everything else normal. Each USA ghetto has its trademark for the type of crimes that go down. If you are in a pure, high murder rate place in the USA, you are far less safe than in the DR. And corrupt cops are all over the USA just like the DR. They take paychecks from gangs and drug dealers. Many of them are racists and lock up blacks and latinos for no reason. If you do not believe it, color yourself black or light brown and watch the difference.

The DR crime in DR barrios have a specific trademark. They are unpredictable. Anyone at any time could be a victim. Any place, any hour on the clock, any neighborhood. bang. I have heard about police and government officials, tourists and known faces in barrios getting shot.

I would feel safer in the DR than I would in many American ghettos because something may happen anywhere in the DR but it is not as likely to happen as it would be for example in parts of New Orleans, Baltimore or a Detroit and US places of that caliber.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The DR crime in DR barrios have a specific trademark. They are unpredictable. Anyone at any time could be a victim. Any place, any hour on the clock, any neighborhood. bang.

something like this?

5ofbph.png

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
More PN ?> more crime. Very simple. Each time they send more PN to patrol the streets, that means that more people will be robbed or killed by PN. I believe that it's better to have no police at all than police like PN in DR. Rich people can protect their property with private security companies, poor people don't have any protection anyway and I doubt that they need it really, most of them are happy to steal something if they have a chance to steal, so why give any protection to thieves? Just let them steal from each other and kill each other in their barrios, and secure rich neighborhoods with private companies. So why we need the police in DR? To protect the Government?

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
The perfect model of good neighborhood for Santo Domingo is to build concrete wall at least 7 ft high with a barbwire with high voltage on top of this wall around Naco and Piantini, secure all entrances with private security company, and issue permits to enter the area for local residents, and search each non-local visitor for guns and knives and write down their cedula data and licence plate number before let them in. And DO NOT allow the police inside the area. And who cares what happens in Villa Juana and other places like that:)

Keiser777

Feb 18, 2008
well, in Toronto, I can walk 24/777 with no problems (including jane & Finch). I guess it hasn't much changed, but in "alll good days"(1990-1996) in West- Germany you can walk very safe 24/7 in each and evry city and in each and every part of such city (inncluding all ruhrgebiete turkishtowns).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
well, in Toronto, I can walk 24/777 with no problems (including jane & Finch). I guess it hasn't much changed, but in "alll good days"(1990-1996) in West- Germany you can walk very safe 24/7 in each and evry city and in each and every part of such city (inncluding all ruhrgebiete turkishtowns).

Sure you can, might get hit by the odd stray bullet at Jane and Finch. Dundas and Sherbourne ranks fourth behind Jane and Finch, Keele and Eglinton, and Albion Rd. and Finch Ave, but Toronto isn't very dangerous anywhere compared to the dangerous areas of the DR.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I am always get a little upset when people compare safety in DR with for ex. United States. Safety is more than statistic. Take the traffic situation here. It is not a matter where you are or when you are on the streets here you are always in danger.Remember that poor young teacher who was killed tuesday at 10.00pm by what I learned a red light runner.
Thats because I never drive in darkness here, because you don't see this maniacs coming very often without light.
I drive my children every monday - friday to school at 7.25 am. coming from Cero Alto in Santiago down to Estrella Sahhala traffic light and waiting for green.
EVERY DAY TWO OR MORE IDIOTS run the red light on Estrella Sadhala every morning. Schoolbusdriver, taxi, conchos, Ede norte,Ochoatrucks name it. Nobody stops them its going on day per day. Because its light at 7.25 am you see that idiots and can let them pass but at night your done.
THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HERE AND US for example. Here they can do what they wont because the polis also run red light, in the Stated the will be stopped.
I am hardly not understand why so many people not see or not will see the difference

That was very sad, the teacher was from Philly and she was an only child. The next day that that happened a friend of mine calls me at 10am and asks if Im ok. I said, yes, why? He proceeds to explain how he heard in Gutierrez Show that someone with almost the same last name as mine was in a car accident in front of HOMS. And since I take my daughter to school in Los Alamos every morning he figured it was me. Crazy thing is when I read the news and find out that my daugther's name is the same as the teacher that was killed, except her's is spelled Meaghan. Oh, and I am a teacher by profession. Talk about creepy.

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
I think it is better said, When in the Dominican Republic do as the Dominicans do. I have a house in the country on one acre of land that cost me so far $11000. It is far from being finished but at least now we have indoor plumbing. My Dominican wife washes dishes outside in a couple of pans and we don't own a car,,, and don't want to. We have live in the campo for 6 years and feel perfectly safe. Why would someone want to rob a gringo that lives the same as a Dominican? I have no more possessions than my country neighbors and don't want more. I sincerely think that a poor Gringo that lives on SS in the DR is better off safety wise than a rich Gringo who has a new car, big motorcycle and lives in a guarded comunity than one that lives like me. Sorry, don't mean to offend the rich gringos, but the less you own the less chance you will get robbed, in my honest opinion. Of course I would like to have more posessions, but I am happy the way things are.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
That fact that some need to compare security of an entire country (the DR) to the worst ghettos in the US implies a problem in the DR.
Furthermore I imagine few DR1 members spend time in US ghettos but probably frequent the DR. The difference is "safe zones", and less corruption on a local scale, generally speaking.

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
That fact that some need to compare security of an entire country (the DR) to the worst ghettos in the US implies a problem in the DR.
Furthermore I imagine few DR1 members spend time in US ghettos but probably frequent the DR. The difference is "safe zones", and less corruption on a local scale, generally speaking.

It is sad. I will never forget flying in. I thought I was out of a dangerous ghetto in the USA an safe. I was on vacation in a place full of hot latinas in the Caribbean. I walked around downtown Santiago and my street smarts one day told me to cross the street and to pay close attention. A guy in an orange shirt had spotted me and was following me. He crossed the street back and forth after me. I had been traveling the same route for 4 days in the middle of the day to go shopping. The guy was always standing and watching in front of this one store. Everyday he was watching me at the same time. My smarts told me today this guy is up to something. He crossed streets and sped up and everything and followed me through traffic and a zig zagged route in circles for about 10 minutes! There was not mistake he was following me! Too bad for him that I knew the deal because they called them stickup kids in bad parts of NYC where I am from. They watch and memorize times and routines and then rob people. It looks like a coincidence and people are surprised when it happens but the truth is it is well planned out and takes brains, guts, a weapon, patience and hard work to pull off. After that event, I learned to treat the DR like a would treat dangerous streets in the USA.

Such a beautiful country with such beautiful people. It is sad that it has such fierce and frequent crime. They really need to do something about it.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
I think it is better said, When in the Dominican Republic do as the Dominicans do. I have a house in the country on one acre of land that cost me so far $11000. It is far from being finished but at least now we have indoor plumbing. My Dominican wife washes dishes outside in a couple of pans and we don't own a car,,, and don't want to. We have live in the campo for 6 years and feel perfectly safe. Why would someone want to rob a gringo that lives the same as a Dominican? I have no more possessions than my country neighbors and don't want more. I sincerely think that a poor Gringo that lives on SS in the DR is better off safety wise than a rich Gringo who has a new car, big motorcycle and lives in a guarded comunity than one that lives like me. Sorry, don't mean to offend the rich gringos, but the less you own the less chance you will get robbed, in my honest opinion. Of course I would like to have more posessions, but I am happy the way things are.
I am sorry trucker but my education stops me to act like the majority of Dominicans do.I am educated to respect rules and the law and I am very happy with it. I don't won't to change Dominican law and order but it is forbidden by Dominican law to run red light, drive drunk, or robbed or killed peoples who has achieved a better position than you. Everything I am criticizing here is forbidden by Dominican law and as a lawful resident of this country I have the right to do it

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
I have stated before that I cannot imagine driving in the USa for 3 weeks in any city without seeing a big traffic tying up accident. And 2 years ofdriving here I have seen 3 small accidents and none with hundreds of onlookers and 4 police cars etc. I believe the traffic is much safer here than in any USA city you could name.
Der Fish
In that case we are not watching the same picture, Sorry

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
I have stated before that I cannot imagine driving in the USa for 3 weeks in any city without seeing a big traffic tying up accident. And 2 years ofdriving here I have seen 3 small accidents and none with hundreds of onlookers and 4 police cars etc. I believe the traffic is much safer here than in any USA city you could name.
Der Fish

Lol... the difference is that if you have a traffic accident in US, even if it's just a scratch on a bumper or plastic molding, you have to wait for police, firefighter truck, ambulance etc... and of course you have hundreds of onlookers. In DR you hit somebody's car, your front bumper falls to the ground, you take it and put it on your rear seat, and go home. No police, no firefighter truck, no onlookers.