Senate adds 45 more days to the National State of Emergency; Presidency will issue executive act

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Palacio-Nacional-2-Presidencia-1024x576.jpg

On Thursday, 8 April 2021, the Senate passed a resolution establishing the extension of the state of emergency for 45 more days. The request was made by President Luis Abinader and had already passed in the Chamber of Deputies

27 senators voted in favor of 28 senators in attendance of 32 senators in total.

The Presidency now needs to issue a decree with the details of the dates and application.

The current national state of emergency expires on 16 April. The Dominican Republic has been under a state of emergency since 19 March 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The only time the state of exception was lifted was o give time for the holding of the 7 July 2020 presidential and congressional elections. The state of emergency was reinstated on 20 July and has continued in place with a nationwide curfew.

Read more in...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
100% agreed.
Luis is buying as much time as possible to get this PN in order so to prevent crime from shooting to the moon once the curfew is lifted. Anyone who thinks this is still about Covid hasn't been outside lately.

Buses packed. Metro in Santo Domingo packed. Stores packed. The only place I have been inside the last two months who is really practicing "the new normal" is BanReservas.

It was even being ignored at a basketball game I attended here in Santiago a few nights ago at the Oscar arena although we were all required to wear our mask.

Looks like the verdict is in and the people have decided (in true Dominican fashion) to just get on with it.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Tried to find a parking spot yesterday near Pedro Clisante. I never saw so many cars parked on the side streets near the main part of the strip that now has 3 Chinese junk stores and the area up to Ayuntamiento as well. April is normally one of the slowest times here on the North Coast.

I did notice that the testing Lab across from Playero has vacated and the space is for rent.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Tried to find a parking spot yesterday near Pedro Clisante. I never saw so many cars parked on the side streets near the main part of the strip that now has 3 Chinese junk stores and the area up to Ayuntamiento as well. April is normally one of the slowest times here on the North Coast.

I did notice that the testing Lab across from Playero has vacated and the space is for rent.
That is good news and well over due.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Bit off topic, I been here nearly a year w/Covid. Almost no social distancing ever unless enforced by employee. Except when I took carritos from pop going eastbound they don’t pack us like sardines like before, just 1 passenger in front, 3 in back, others had to wait for next car

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Bit off topic, I been here nearly a year w/Covid. Almost no social distancing ever unless enforced by employee. Except when I took carritos from pop going eastbound they don’t pack us like sardines like before, just 1 passenger in front, 3 in back, others had to wait for next car
Carritos and social distancing?...that would be only the driver in the concho......

Reactions: CristoRey

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I am speculating that the toque de queda gets lifted in the next couple of weeks and there is a requirement that businesses need to close by 11pm.