Senate authorizes purchase of more Pfizer vaccines

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Pfizer-Vaccine-Wikimedia-Commons-1024x682.jpg
Army Spc. Angel Laureano holds a vial of the COVID-19 vaccine, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Md., Dec. 14, 2020. (DoD photo by Lisa Ferdinando)

The first Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine has yet to arrive, but meanwhile, the Senate on 11 May 2021 amended the contract with the pharmaceutical and will buy two million more vaccine doses. The agreement stipulates an additional payment to Pfizer for US$24,001,380. In January 2021, Congress had authorized the purchase of eight million for US$95,998,500. This brings the total of the contracted Pfizer vaccines to US$119,999,880 for the ten million doses.

The Presidency had submitted the amendments to the Senate.

There is no known date for the arrival of the Pfizer vaccines. Meanwhile, most Dominicans have been vaccinated with the Sinovac/Coronavac vaccine from China.

Read more in...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ALLOR925

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Looks like "they" might be planning to give everyone a boost with a Pfizer shot in due course. Why else would they be buying more of something that has yet to be delivered or given out here? I still think these mRNA vaccines will be logistically near impossible to store and use within their effective validity period but this type of move could either be incredible foresight or more of the usual poor judgement. I guess time will tell. It's not like the Govt has explained the need for additional Pfizer shots. 10 million doses of a vaccine with a very difficult and short shelf life seems odd in this climate and within our current ability to get injections into arms quickly and efficiently. 10 million being almost enough for everyone to get one dose.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Since the Sinovac is at best 40-45% effective it might be a good thing if this can be distributed.
Maybe Pfiser will need to assist in storage oversight, but a vaccine that is less than 50% effective is like flipping the coin of death

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A Pfizer booster is a good idea.

There was discussion recently about sending excess Sinovac to other countries. A third injection of Sinovac would also be a way to boost it if a Pfizer booster is not in the cards

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Since the Sinovac is at best 40-45% effective it might be a good thing if this can be distributed.
Maybe Pfiser will need to assist in storage oversight, but a vaccine that is less than 50% effective is like flipping the coin of death
not sure where you are getting that number?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Looks like "they" might be planning to give everyone a boost with a Pfizer shot in due course. Why else would they be buying more of something that has yet to be delivered or given out here? I still think these mRNA vaccines will be logistically near impossible to store and use within their effective validity period but this type of move could either be incredible foresight or more of the usual poor judgement. I guess time will tell. It's not like the Govt has explained the need for additional Pfizer shots. 10 million doses of a vaccine with a very difficult and short shelf life seems odd in this climate and within our current ability to get injections into arms quickly and efficiently. 10 million being almost enough for everyone to get one dose.
Where is there data that suggests "booster shots" using a second type of vaccine is effective? Where is there information that states booster shots will be necessary if one received the leading brands? I not sure that has been tried and proven yet as what the future holds. Just curious as to where the links are that makes this so.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
not sure where you are getting that number?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Why not?. If China says 50% why would you not shave off a little to discount their reporting methods?. I think that's a fair assumption.
The studies that have been carried indicate a higher rate, and none of them are done by the Chinese.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The studies that have been carried indicate a higher rate, and none of them are done by the Chinese.
Do you believe everything your read? Do you not allow for the possibility that data is played with for many reasons such as : political, greed,corruption, publicity, lobbying? How can one believe in anybody or anything in today's world of social media?
So, you will ask: What should I believe in? I think the answer to that is: Logic based on near historical data. Ancient historial past. Agenda of those making a claim. Political motivation and financial gain.
There has been a common mime here on DR1 to defend the Chinese vaccine. I can understand that as the option was for many...better than no vaccine. But go back some and review the comments of our members when they didn't know that there would be no other option unless you left the country. Many members played a different tune then.
I sincerly hope this will end and all will turn out for the best no matter what vaccine was taken.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Do you believe everything your read? Do you not allow for the possibility that data is played with for many reasons such as : political, greed,corruption, publicity, lobbying? How can one believe in anybody or anything in today's world of social media?
So, you will ask: What should I believe in? I think the answer to that is: Logic based on near historical data. Ancient historial past. Agenda of those making a claim. Political motivation and financial gain.
There has been a common mime here on DR1 to defend the Chinese vaccine. I can understand that as the option was for many...better than no vaccine. But go back some and review the comments of our members when they didn't know that there would be no other option unless you left the country. Many members played a different tune then.
I sincerly hope this will end and all will turn out for the best no matter what vaccine was taken.
Do you not believe anything you read?

Reactions: windeguy

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Well I have received my 2 Sinovac jabs so I hope it is effective.
But from the myriad of reporting I've read it is not thought to have a high efficacy in people over 60. Not sure why levels of antibodies produced from vaccination decrease with age but apparently age makes significant difference, and of course that is the population which has the highest mortality rate.
Apparently Brazil is finishing the trials and while it works well if you factor out mild cases it really falls short of other vaccine', s effective rates.
And seems to be very ineffective against the P.1 variants - which is what spreading in Brazil and 2nd most common variant in North America and is rampant in Latin America.
Seems antibodies to Covid produced by vaccines produced from reaction to the inactivated SARS-CoV-2 virus particles, such as Sinovac don't respond well to changing viruses.
It remains to be seen what horrible variants may come out of India?
China is apparently developing a 3rd booster shot to improve effectiveness of Sinovac.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Only 1.4 million have been vaccinated as of last monday.
If they can get to 5 million vaccinated I think this virus will be in the rear view for good, and with the vaccination age requirement being lowered - probably we can get there quick ( 3 more months ?)

If they would have more consistent times and repeat locations. Say every Thursday, Friday & Saturday at a local school that is closed or a clinic and make the hours say 9 AM-6 PM so some workers can get off and get jabbed.
And not hop around so much - people will go 15 Kilometers if need be. Each major town of 15,000 or more people should have at least one location to get the vaccine.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
If they can get to 5 million vaccinated I think this virus will be in the rear view for good, and with the vaccination age requirement being lowered - probably we can get there quick ( 3 more months ?)

If they would have more consistent times and repeat locations. Say every Thursday, Friday & Saturday at a local school that is closed or a clinic and make the hours say 9 AM-6 PM so some workers can get off and get jabbed.
And not hop around so much - people will go 15 Kilometers if need be. Each major town of 15,000 or more people should have at least one location to get the vaccine.
I totally agree. This is the advantage of a small population. I think the future looks good.

Jan 17, 2009
The latest data on effectiveness of Sinovac on actual population is from Chile. Effectivness of coronavac is somewhat better than previously reported but not great, 2-3 weeks AFTER second shot. No immunity at all after first shot. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...effective-vs-symptomatic-covid-cases-knkcmpwk

Also testing is being run in China to combine Sinovac with Pfizer shots. https://www.reuters.com/world/china...9-vaccines-due-low-efficacy-rates-2021-04-11/

I have asked two doctors (not epidemiologists) in the US about fully re-vaccinating with Pfizer or Moderna, but for now, not knowing the risks, It’s pretty much a big not yet. More info on risks and efficacy needed.

I honestly feel like the DR health authorities should have spared those over 60 from this vaccine, or at least warned us, knowing there was not going to be effective as those under 60, given weakened immune systems as we age. JMO

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The latest data on effectiveness of Sinovac on actual population is from Chile. Effectivness of coronavac is somewhat better than previously reported but not great, 2-3 weeks AFTER second shot. No immunity at all after first shot. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...effective-vs-symptomatic-covid-cases-knkcmpwk

Also testing is being run in China to combine Sinovac with Pfizer shots. https://www.reuters.com/world/china...9-vaccines-due-low-efficacy-rates-2021-04-11/

I have asked two doctors (not epidemiologists) in the US about fully re-vaccinating with Pfizer or Moderna, but for now, not knowing the risks, It’s pretty much a big not yet. More info on risks and efficacy needed.

I honestly feel like the DR health authorities should have spared those over 60 from this vaccine, or at least warned us, knowing there was not going to be effective as those under 60, given weakened immune systems as we age. JMO
I think many seniors have stronger immune systems than younger people. I for example have only had the flu twice in my 64 years and rarely get a serious cold. My MIL is 86 and I can count on one had the times she has been sick in the 23 years I have know her.

Reactions: NanSanPedro