Sending Money from DR to the US when in the USA

LionKing64

Jun 3, 2020
Michigan
Hi,

Has anyone had to send money from DR to the US when stateside. Also, what is the max sum that can be sent? I know more than 10k might trigger a flag cause some issues that one might have to complete some additional paperwork. I'm looking to remove some funds from a failed real estate deal.

Thanks,

- Kevin

Grampa

Banned
Nov 15, 2021
Kansas
The money was in my personal account in Dominican Republic. It didn’t make it far enough to have a lawyer involved
Why not just wire it to yourself, doing whatever is required legally for paperwork? You got the money sent to the DR, surely you can justify and explain the source and rational. What's the issue you're having? Sometimes you just have to go through the process, comply with the rules and regulations and suck it up.

LionKing64

Jun 3, 2020
Michigan
Why not just wire it to yourself, doing whatever is required legally for paperwork? You got the money sent to the DR, surely you can justify and explain the source and rational. What's the issue you're having? Sometimes you just have to go through the process, comply with the rules and regulations and suck it up.
The big issue I’m having is I’m here in the states so I’m trying to initiate a wire transfer requires me to sign paperwork in the DR. So the other caveat is I’m not sure if they require extra information and if so how long of a trip do I need to take to the DR to make sure the process goes smoothly.

Reactions: Grampa

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The big issue I’m having is I’m here in the states so I’m trying to initiate a wire transfer requires me to sign paperwork in the DR. So the other caveat is I’m not sure if they require extra information and if so how long of a trip do I need to take to the DR to make sure the process goes smoothly.
Ah, I missed that part. I see a trip in your future. Sorry

Jan 9, 2004
The money was in my personal account in Dominican Republic. It didn’t make it far enough to have a lawyer involved
For future reference, grant someone who you trust, power of attorney. I have done it this way several times. They can then transfer it to you. Or as has been suggested, find a reason to come to the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

LionKing64

Jun 3, 2020
Michigan
Thanks, @
For future reference, grant someone who you trust, power of attorney. I have done it this way several times. They can then transfer it to you. Or as has been suggested, find a reason to come to the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Thanks, for your advice but finding someone to trust with enough money to change there life seems to be another issue in the making jajaja. I think I'm gonna have to plan for a trip.

Grampa

Banned
Nov 15, 2021
Kansas
There is no workaround with trying to use any North American bank to send yourself large sums of money, any amount really.

There are banks with "relationships" and there are branches like Scotia Bank that are in name only but no way to e-transfer from the DR without following the rules ands process. Perhaps bitcoin or the like but with the volatility and the difficulties of using a Dominican bank make it unlikely or impractical.

Sorry but you're stuck. Enjoy your next visit and be glad you did not succumb to a bad real-estate decision.

Reactions: LionKing64

LionKing64

Jun 3, 2020
Michigan
There is no workaround with trying to use any North American bank to send yourself large sums of money, any amount really.

There are banks with "relationships" and there are branches like Scotia Bank that are in name only but no way to e-transfer from the DR without following the rules ands process. Perhaps bitcoin or the like but with the volatility and the difficulties of using a Dominican bank make it unlikely or impractical.

Sorry but you're stuck. Enjoy your next visit and be glad you did not succumb to a bad real-estate decision.
Thanks I guess a trip is in order... I should update my real estate thread with the final outcome.