Seperation of Assets

Bahamasgirl

Dec 26, 2005
my fiance is an american permenant resident he got his residentsy by marring a puerto rican now he wants to marry me and is currently filling for divorce i trust him but have you had any cases where the man gets married in the us but is still married in dr

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
separation of assets is really important because I'v known about people who upon divorce have tried to take 50% of the house her spouse acquired before marriage. It wouldn't be fair to take 50% of the assets that a spouse had before marriage. If someone that one is about to marry refuses to sign a prenuptual agreement,you could then ask yourself if this person is marrying you for love or for your assets. If you marry without a prenuptual agreement and don't mind the consequences this could later bring, then more power to you.

upsetdaughter

Jan 7, 2006
Separation of Assets

Are there any links that you can provide that will give you information on prenuptials and separation of assets in the DR. Here is my concern: my father is a widow 55 (US Citizen) and he will be getting married to a 23 yr old (DR Citizen). As you can see my concern is that she is taking him for a ride and is after his money and US Citizenship. I have many questions.

If they are married in the US, are the laws that are followed according to any prenuptial, etc that is drawn up in the US? Now, my dad just brought property in the DR. If they are married in the US is anything that he owns (assets) from the DR included if the move there permanently after marriage? Also, he has given this kid power of attorney over his property in the DR. How can this property be protected?

If they marry in the DR, my guess from previous posts is that he will need a prenuptial drawn up in the DR and US. I read earlier that if the property is bought prior to marriage that is belongs to the kids of the property owner. What if the property is also put under the spouses name after marriage?

Any information that you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
It not a good thing, believe me!

I tried it with my wife and for months I stood my grounds because I thought she was wrong. But then I caved in! Couldn't take it any more! So then I had to kiss it to get it back! It was so humiliating!....What? Oh, you mean assets oooh, hah! never mind.......

El Hamaquero

Feb 8, 2006
Seperation of Assets when not married

I need to know about seperation of assets and any other responsibilities for non-married couples that are parting ways. I am splitting up with my girlfriend of about 1 1/2 years, but she keeps dragging her feet (going on a couple of months now) on actually leaving the apartment. Now that I have given her a firm date to move out she tells me that she is going to go to her lawyer and the local women's protection organization (??) to force me to let her stay as long as she needs.

My problem is that I am back and forth to the States quite often and am sure that after my next trip to the US, I will come back to a very clean house. My questions are about my options on moving her out and what if any assets she is entitled to.

Thanks,
Hamaquero

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Contact Fabio Guzman about this problem of yours.

He will give you a legal opinion and probably will cite the appropriate laws involved.

This same advise to all the other questions regarding division/seperation of assets.

I would venture that NONE of us on this board are conversant with the Dominican Legal System (It's Napolianic Code, like France and Louisiana (US)) and VERY different than US/English Common Law, so don't take anyone's word for the "gospel truth" except a Dominican Lawyer.

Texas Bill

El Hamaquero

Feb 8, 2006
Changes in the law

One of my concerns is the court decision of about a year or so ago that gave "concubine relationships" (girlfriend/boyfriend relationships) standing in the seperation of assets. I have yet to see what length of time actually qualifiies a relationship as common-law.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Oh damn,

El Hamaquero said:
One of my concerns is the court decision of about a year or so ago that gave "concubine relationships" (girlfriend/boyfriend relationships) standing in the seperation of assets. I have yet to see what length of time actually qualifiies a relationship as common-law.

Now I'm not even interested in a committed, relationship, much less marriage.

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Well.well.well.

I just dont understand how you guys have all these problems. Bring or send enough down here to live. Dont say squat about outside DR. and take care of the offsprings outside from outside and those inside from inside. Amazing that for a third world country they so easily get you by the proverbials... Cheers. M

rover

Aug 19, 2007
1. If you have a U.S. attorney draft a prenuptial agreement.

2. Pay to have a Dominican lawyer explain it to her and send her to the U.S. embassy to sign and get it
notarized.

3. Get married in the D.R.

If things go bad and you live in the states.

1. Can she file for a divorce in the D.R. and hold you to the Dominican standards of community property for
cash assets ??

2. I have been told that a U.S. prenup does not meet the Dominican requirements of being a legal document
so I am thinking this is really a question of jurisdiction. If you are living in the U.S. with her "OR" you are
living in the U.S. and she is still living in the D.R. would a Dominican court have jurisdiction over the division
of marital property if she files for divorce there ??
property ???