Serving notice...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jruane44 said:
Very well put. It's amazing how people can Monday morning quaterback when someone else is a victim. Does anyone know if the gun was legal? What would be the consequenses if the gun were illegal?
The gun was legal.
The shooting was legal and righteous.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Rocky said:
The gun was legal.
The shooting was legal and righteous.
The shooting was definately legal and righteous. If he didn't have a permit for the gun would he have been charged with the illegal possesion of a weapon? Thanks.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jruane44 said:
The shooting was definately legal and righteous. If he didn't have a permit for the gun would he have been charged with the illegal possesion of a weapon? Thanks.
One would think so.
I suppose it depends on a lot of factors, like how connected the shooter is, how much money he is willing to spend to resolve the issue, who got killed, how good a lawyer the shooter has, what the circumstances leading up to the shooting might be, how badly injured the victim/shooter is, etc.
Oh yeah, and the actual laws governing shootings with illegal weapons, would play a small role as well.

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
tomgallo said:
C'mon. Machete attacks a Dominican pastime. Give me a break!

Dominicans are more into the easy no sweat stuff like sanking. Dominicans are no violent people, you sound like a wannabe gringo *** kissing type.

Not sure what I've done to offend you so much. Machete fights are extremely common in the barrios of the DR, as they can't afford guns and machetes are lying all over the place (cocoteros, gardeners etc).

Not all comments revolve around Dominican interaction with foreigners. Dozens of people die from machete attacks every day all around the country. I have many friends who did their medical residencies in areas in Jarabacoa and the North Coast and the vast majority of their surgeries involved machete/knife attacks. The grisly details of what happens to the 98% of the Dominican people living in their aluminum shacks goes pretty much untold.

That being said I hope the victim is recovering well. An entire family was killed when I was a child by their gardener using a machete and this brings back poor memories.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Robert said:
I somehow feel that I would have zero remorse for blowing away someone that started hacking at me with a machete. The other two idiots should consider themselves very lucky they are not dead.

I wouldn't have remorse, either, Robert.

When we were living on our sailboat anchored in Samana, we had several run ins with thieves, always armed with a machete.

In one, one asked for my money and watch and when I was slow in responding, he hit me across the side of the head with the machete, cutting off the bottom of my ear, fracturing my jaw and leaving me unconscious for 45 minutes. It happened very fast and caught me completely by surprise, and to this day have no recollection of of anything from his first demand for money and my coming back to consciousness, but if I had been carrying a gun, I would have saved myself a lot of expense in jaw repairs.

One night Barbara heard a noise on deck and when she through open a deck hatch to see what was causing him she so surprised the machete armed man on deck that he fell into the water. Unfortunately, all I had was a flare gun, which I fired at the man in the water, but if I had pistol, I would have used it.

By the way, after that night-time visit there were no more. I was told by a coronel in the army that word got around that we were prepared to shoot.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
GilbertArenas said:
Wow, be careful guys. If you can't get a gun, or aren't comfortable with carrying such a deadly device.......get a stun gun! It's a lot better to shock the hell out of somebody from 10 feet away than go hand to hand with a machete pirate style.

That being said, I hope your friend is okay Escott. Machete attacks are a national pasttime down there...... :(

I'd like to know more about stun guns. Can they be purchased in the DR, are they legal, do you need a permit?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Reload!

I agree, the teenager had made his decision and knew very well where the consequences might take him one day, but now I would make sure to reload as I would be afraid that his friends or family might come back for revenge.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ken said:
By the way, after that night-time visit there were no more. I was told by a coronel in the army that word got around that we were prepared to shoot.
There you go.
You sir, are part of the solution.
Everytime a potential victim defends himself, he does the rest of the world a favour by making it a safer place to live in.
Criminals who commit acts of violence are lazy cowards with no sense of decency.
Laws were made by decent people, to force the indecent people to be decent.
When the law is not there to help you in a moment of crisis, one must help the indecent criminals see the light.
Positive re-enforcement, through negative manipulation.

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
Danny W said:
I'd like to know more about stun guns. Can they be purchased in the DR, are they legal, do you need a permit?

I'm not sure about the legality, but a few of my friends had them when I was in high school. As to where to get them? Try Ferreteria Nacional in Santo Domingo. Bizarrely enough they always had a wide range of weapons when I was a kid.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Be careful in DR

When I used to work in Antena Latina, there were a few times when there weren't cabs available or OMSA buses to catch. So I had to hoof it from Gustavo Mejia Ricart Ave all the way down Tiradentes Ave to Pedro Livio Cede?o Ave and always had my trusty stunner with me. That thing was in my hand from the moment that I would start walking. I was lucky that my father saw me several times after he got off work and would pick me up but I think that the stunner in my hand was a sort of deterrent for would-be thieves :bandit: that saw me walk by since it had a pistol grip and looked like a gun from a distance.

Good luck to that guy in Sosua and hope he recovers soon. No pity to anyone that commits acts of violence towards me or my family, they'll catch two 9mm Luger rounds to some part of their anatomy......

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
General Patton

Gringo said:
Its a shame he did not get a change to empty his clip on the whole lot....
Good riddence rest in Hell.

Gringo
Patton was once heard to say..
"You don't win a war by dying for your country, you win by making the other person die for their country."

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Well stated Alan...

....the saddest part of this whole incedent is that it is soooooo not over for the shooter. I would bet that he, like the rest of us, would have prefered to complete his life without ever experiencing ending another persons life. The physical part of this nightmare is nearly over for him. I suspect it will be years before the nightmares end. His quality of life is damaged forever. It amazes me that anybody could come to the conclusion that this horrible incedent didn't end properly.

To the shooter, I salute you. But also, to the dead kids family, my heart breaks for you. :cry:

Justintime

Aug 18, 2004
Armed Bandits...

have been around forever...even before the invention of pistols. In response to the problem of thieves and armed bandits a very wise man once instructed his students "...if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

I, too, grieve for the family of the young man, but shooting in self defense of armed bandit(s) is the right thing to do to protect yourself, your loved ones, and your property.

Rocky had a very, very good point when he said that if you want to do something about the problem, find ways to combat the overall drug problem.

Interesting thread, I sure hope the victim of the attempted robbery is recovery well from his wounds.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There Used To Be a "Saying" During The Liberal "Sixties"

In The USA."....Do you know what a "Republican" is?....A "Democrat" that has been "Mugged"!

Let those who have so much "sympathy" :cry: for the dead attempted murderer/thief,and his family(Who raised that murderer/thief) think about what it is like to be an innocent victim fighting for life in a dark street late at night!
Maybe you will feel differently when you wife is raped and murdered,or when your children are kidnapped and their mutilated bodies are left in a sugar cane fiend!

Here is my Question of the week!
"What Do You Call 200 Criminals burned to death In a Dominican Jail????

"A GOOD START!"

"Dominicans NOT a violent People"! Now THAT is a GOOD ONE!!! Try reading a local newspaper,or watching TV from New Youk City!
"You Can Take The Dominican Out Of The Island,But You Can't Take The Island Out Of The Dominican!"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Robert said:
I'm sure you would have second thoughts if the poor guy was killed and you was the one that had to make the call to his family. Worse still, being a member of the victims immediate family.

I somehow feel that I would have zero remorse for blowing away someone that started hacking at me with a machete. The other two idiots should consider themselves very lucky they are not dead.

You live by the sword, you die by the sword!

Escott, you can carry a gun here, your a resident.
All you need is a permit, doctors report, etc etc.
It is on my list. I am going for my interview for citizenship soon and when that is over I will do the gun.

Scott

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
IMHO, the bottom line is, because of this incident the gene pool of the DR has improved. Perhaps with the involvement of the good/caring people of the north coast it will continue to improve.

Joe

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Camden Tom said:

To the shooter, I salute you. But also, to the dead kids family, my heart breaks for you. :cry:
To the family of the dead thief, Yeah you should have done a better job with your shlt assed son and brought him up in a way that wouldnt have put him in the ground.

My heart goes out for the victim and not the victimizer or whomever enabled the piece of crap.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Escott said:
To the family of the dead thief, Yeah you should have done a better job with your shlt assed son and brought him up in a way that wouldnt have put him in the ground.

My heart goes out for the victim and not the victimizer or whomever enabled the piece of crap.
Now, now Scotty, that's unlike you.

I am as much a leftist peacenik as the next one, and I still have problems mustering any sympathy for the perp. However, I wouldn't nonchalantly blame his family for his actions without any information. More than one rotten apple has fallen from a good tree.

Speedy recovery to the poor guy. I hope his life is less troublesome in the future.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Escott said:

That's easy to say when your kids turn out good. Like it or not, there is a lot of luck involved. How many people do you know and respect that have had a kid go bad? How many times have you seen where 5 kids in a family turn out good and one turns out to be a total loser. Scott, you are fortunate to have had a daughter that turned out to be gifted in many ways. Would you love her any less if she had not turned out this way?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Camden Tom said:
That's easy to say when your kids turn out good. Like it or not, there is a lot of luck involved.
Of course there's a lot of luck involved, and you know that Escott never minces his words, but the underlying message is that parents need to share the blame, if they were negligent in upbringing their children.
I know it's not an easy job, and sometimes, kids turn out rotten, no matter how hard the parent's try.
That's why I don't have or want any kids.
If I ever had one like me, I'd flush him down the toilet before his 1st birthday.
How my parents survived the ordeal of having me around for 18 years, is a mystery to me.
God bless them and their eternal patience.