Sex Worker Outreach

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
I'm wondering if there are any non-profits or grassroots programs on the North Coast that promote condom use and/or offer free STI testing for the many sex workers in these small towns. Also, what happens to the sex workers' children? Is there a good public school system in the DR for poor kids? Children of sex workers often fall by the wayside and end up perpetuating the cycle. Anyone know of anything positive people are doing in their communities to empower young women and encourage them to further their education rather than become sex workers? Don't get me wrong, I know programs that try to teach sex workers' the error of their ways are pretty ineffective, but programs that help educate and offer free healthcare services do seem to work better. I saw so many darling, smart, precocious young Dominican girls on my trip and I hate to think of them turning to sex work as they get older. Yes, I know that far from all Dominican women are prostitutes, and thank god for the good role models out there. But the number of sex workers, particularly very young ones, does seem to be a big problem. Here in the US there are programs that hand out free condoms, etc. Anything like that going on in Sosua or Cabarete?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a government organization called CEPROSH (centro de promocion de solidaridad humana) http://www.ceprosh.org/
i know they have a place in puerto plata, on calle j.f. kennedy 5, not sure about sosua/cabarete. they do free HIV tests and they give away free condoms.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Oh man, another newbie that wants to fix this country...
Whats wrong with the oldest profession in the world? The more the merrier. I say.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Oh man, another newbie that wants to fix this country...
Whats wrong with the oldest profession in the world? The more the merrier. I say.

I'm not so deluded as to think I can "fix" anything in the DR. Actually, I don't have a problem with prostitution. It's gone on forever and nothing will change that. What I have a problem with are prostitution's faithful compadres: systemic rape and abuse. I believe sex workers should be educated about sex and given adequate healthcare and free condoms. And they need a path to exit sex work, once they are "too old" to bring in the big bucks at the ripe old age of 30. And yes, I think children of sex workers should be educated and receive mentoring and counseling so they come to understand that they do have options. I really have no judgment towards sex workers for deeply personal reasons that I won't share here. Everywhere in the world they are perhaps the MOST marginalized group, because they are women, they are poor and their profession is so stigmatized. Nothing will ever end prostitution, but I do believe that one more 13-14 year old girl turning tricks is one more too many.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i'll tell you what's wrong with the oldest profession..................men giving diseases to their wives, children born with disease, divorce, broken homes, single mothers living on welfare because they threw the bum out. kids without fathers around 'cause he's been thrown out,
big bust, (police, TV), in atlanta today where they busted a mexican ring that was importing young girls under the pretense of a good waitress job, but were forced into handling up to fifty clients a day. nope, nuttin wrong wit dat........anyone want to volunteer for that 15 year old girls' job?.................

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
There was an earlier thread that dealt with groups working with CSWs:

Interesting model of sustainable business

I have worked with CEPROSH and they do good work. (I didn't work with them in the context of CSW but other areas.)

Not the north coast but in Boca Chica there is an organization called Caminante that works with street children. Being in Boca Chica, they do a lot of work with young girls who are at-risk of getting into CSW (or already are).

Last edited:

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Heliace, your response disgusts me. If you want to discuss this subject, we can do it in private, not publicly.

Yes there are inroads, NGO's, charitable organizations and government sponsored programs.
If the OP would like more info on those please PM me and will do what I can to direct you to the few I can confirm that are reliable, that I'm aware of. Your intentions are honorable and well taken.
Thanks forestero for a good link and a very good program.

'pa lante (sin los buscones de las jovenes).

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
See the "Violence Against Women" thread from July 2010.
This issue has been discussed a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.