Sexual harassment in Dominican schools is 14.2%

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Santo Domingo.? Sexual harassment among students of Dominican public schools stood at 14.2%, according to the "Study of Prevalence, Types and Causes of Violence in Basic and Secondary Schools in the Dominican Republic," published this week.

Although such figure is comparatively lower than the levels of bullying (33.6%) and general violence in the education system (69%), researchers believe that sexual harassment remains clinically important because its long-term psychopathological implications.

"Our country has seen an alarming increase in intimate partner violence in recent years, and we can see ramifications of this phenomenon in children under school age," says the study by the Dominican Institute for Research and Evaluation of Educational Quality (IDEICE), which belongs to the Education Ministry.

The way this wording is almost makes it seem less offensive.......Not. How does "Intimate" and "Violence" go together?

Intimate Partner Violence

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2014/12/6/53561/Sexual-harassment-in-Dominican-schools-is-142

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
14.2%. how ridiculous to make note of 0.2% when the margin of error is probably 3-5%. as if it makes a difference. 14% 15%. omg. I hate statistics.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
What else is new ? Teenagers are the same all over the world, and it has been since the beginning of time. That's part of becoming adults, trying the effect of your "assets" on the other sex... see what works or don't...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
14.2%. how ridiculous to make note of 0.2% when the margin of error is probably 3-5%. as if it makes a difference. 14% 15%. omg. I hate statistics.

don't you just love it when you see figures like "543,227 Haitians live in the north"? i mean, accuracy to 6 figures. who are they joshing?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What else is new ? Teenagers are the same all over the world, and it has been since the beginning of time. That's part of becoming adults, trying the effect of your "assets" on the other sex... see what works or don't...

Unfortunately you are correct, but it certainly makes it harder to keep the focus on learning with an overload of newly awakened hormones and testosterone making it's presence felt. We have a dress code that is enforced that helps a little bit.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Has anyone seen these 13-14 year old girls going to school in the morning? They're dressed like they're going to a club!!!! :ermm:

they are all dressed in school uniforms. no civilian clothing, so to speak. that a cuerpazo underneath looks like that of a adult woman is a different story.

Aug 6, 2006
What exactly does this 14.2% refer to? That 14.2% of all kids are sexually harassed at some time in their time in school, or annually?

The uniforms are a pretty good idea, since they do tend to diminish the allure of the opposite sex, and they prevent kids from playing social status one-upmanship from the students whose families can buy fancier clothing.

On the minus side, there are kids who never attend school because their parents cannot afford the uniforms.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Not sure how they measured it? I know it happens occasionally at our school but is nipped in the bud as fast as we can, with parents involved only if necessary. A big part of our religions classes from grade four up are ethics, morality, respect....etc. From what I've observed is that most of the harassment is girl on girl. Girls are like wasps with their tongues, and quick to gang up on somebody that's not in their group. Boys do it as well, but quickly move on if called on it.

[photo removed by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
El acoso sexual en las escuelas de la Rep?blica Dominicana es de 14.2% - DiarioLibre.com

here is news in spanish. i think "acoso" also refers to verbal harassment, not necessarily anything sinister. to me hearing "dame a ver tu culo" is not a problem, you only need to shout back "mira en espejo" and move on. but alas, it counts as harassment too.

i don't know how old is 10th grade but the manner those girls are posing for the picture... this is not a "fotita en bikini pa mi feyboo".

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
they are all dressed in school uniforms. no civilian clothing, so to speak. that a cuerpazo underneath looks like that of a adult woman is a different story.

Sorry, I have to rephrase that, they're nails are done, their hair is straightened or have extensions, they wear make up.
School uniform or not they try to be as sexy as they can be.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Sorry, I have to rephrase that, they're nails are done, their hair is straightened or have extensions, they wear make up.
School uniform or not they try to be as sexy as they can be.

Frank you hit the nail on the head. Some of my friends kids pictures that they post on Facebook in school uniforms at school in the class rooms. I may add will make you blush. The parents need to take some of the blame. Who are the ones allowing their daughters to buy uniforms so tight. Anyone can tell they are not borrowed clothes. Also parents need to monitor their kids Facebook pages. And let's not get started on the male teachers that molest these young girls. That's a subject for another time.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Frank you hit the nail on the head. Some of my friends kids pictures that they post on Facebook in school uniforms at school in the class rooms. I may add will make you blush. The parents need to take some of the blame. Who are the ones allowing their daughters to guy uniforms so tight looks like borrowed clothes. And anyone can tell those were not hand me down clothes. Also parents need to monitor their kids Facebook pages.

they are just prepping them for the trade. sadly, there are parents who have only one vision of the future for their daughters...

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
they are just prepping them for the trade. sadly, there are parents who have only one vision of the future for their daughters...

A member on this forum and a good buddy of mine told me a man offered for him to take his then 15 year old daughter. Of course he said "NO FVUKING WAY" Three years later he ran into the same man and the offer was made again......And again he refused. There are a lot of men (EXPATS) who would not refuse such a generous offer. Sad part is if you live in the DR for more than 6 months you will run into some dude who is here for not young but underage girls. And the parents perpetuate this kind of behavior buy offering their daughters up to these sickos.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
El acoso sexual en las escuelas de la Rep?blica Dominicana es de 14.2% - DiarioLibre.com

here is news in spanish. i think "acoso" also refers to verbal harassment, not necessarily anything sinister. to me hearing "dame a ver tu culo" is not a problem, you only need to shout back "mira en espejo" and move on. but alas, it counts as harassment too.

i don't know how old is 10th grade but the manner those girls are posing for the picture... this is not a "fotita en bikini pa mi feyboo".

Two 15 year olds and one 16 year old. The girl in the middle is family, and the other two I've know since they were toddlers.
I agree, there different levels of harassment. Most of what happens is the girls calling each other putas...etc, for stuff happening away from school. I've found Dominican children in general are quick to rat on each other, are easily offended, and as many have noted, lie a lot, but aren't very good at it. My wife usually calls them in separately then together and the story falls apart or together. PUNISHMENT IS FAIR AND IMMEDIATE. Depending on the kid/young adult a good talk is often all that's called for.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A member on this forum and a good buddy of mine told me a man offered for him to take his then 15 year old daughter. Of course he said "NO FVUKING WAY" Three years later he ran into the same man and the offer was made again......And again he refused. There are a lot of men (EXPATS) who would not refuse such a generous offer. Sad but true.

i know expats who have taken up with underage girls, only to have the parents extort them roundly. i know one guy who got extorted, yet kept the situation status quo afterwards. well, he was extorted a second time, don't you know.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
They seem to succeed at this in this photo, at least. Coquetas y pizpiretas.

They are posing for a picture, it is normal. Well XO, these three are very good students with a focus on school, at least while they are there. Two of these girls have parents that are doctors and engineers...etc, and the third has parents that have successful businesses.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
i know expats who have taken up with underage girls, only to have the parents extort them roundly. i know one guy who got extorted, yet kept the situation status quo afterwards. well, he was extorted a second time, don't you know.

I know my brother we all have seen this.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Bob, my personal feeling is that your posting of the girls photo, especially in this thread, or anywhere else on the internet, is not appropriate.
As far as "Sex & Violence" going together,......."SOME Like It ROUGH"!!!!!!
:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC