Shake Down In Sousa

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
So, what would happen if someone just refused to give these guys money? Would they be arrested? SHOT??? Obviously I don't think it would be wise to find out the hard way, but any guesses from any of you who have to deal with that on a regular basis would be interesting to hear.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
A motoconcho drove into me once, I paid them off to just ignore me as I couldn't be arsed with a visit to the slammer for something that was the conchos fault, and it wouldn't have gone my way, not around Sosua. That is one thing more than most that puts me off that area, the law really are there to cause stress and do absolutely no good what so ever.

I've had a couple of tugs in the capital and never had any problems like that. In my experience the law sort of do something resembling the job description, albeit not ideal by a long shot. If you are just going about your day normally it isn't as intimidating to see a road block, or random tugging.
In the north people see the law and turn around, even if only carrying 2 carrots and a bag of sprouts.

I wouldn't expect expats to put up with it who live down there, I reckon most have enough spunk to tell them where to go, in some kind of submissive manner.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
So, what would happen if someone just refused to give these guys money? Would they be arrested? SHOT??? Obviously I don't think it would be wise to find out the hard way, but any guesses from any of you who have to deal with that on a regular basis would be interesting to hear.

I have never paid them a cent. I speak English to them and act annoyed. They back down rather quickly. On more than one occasion I've just driven right past and not stopped (even though they flagged my down). They never attempt to follow...that would take some sort of effort on their part.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I guess when they spot a sucker that cannot resist. If they ask you for money, ask for their names and ID, then tell them to go... well you get the idea.

I have been stopped a bunch of times over the years at G2 road blocks and never asked for money and never paid them a single peso. Some of you need to start wising up about living in the DR.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I guess when they spot a sucker that cannot resist. If they ask you for money, ask for their names and ID, then tell them to go... well you get the idea.

I have been stopped a bunch of times over the years at G2 road blocks and never asked for money and never paid them a single peso. Some of you need to start wising up about living in the DR.
Recently we've been stopped often by G2: Sabeneta (x2), Gaspar Hernandez, Jimao, and Nagua. Thay have been very thorough and courteous. Never asked for money, only papers and guns.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I was stopped on the new highway to Samana.. charged that I was speeding.. and yes I was.. and they had a speed gun thingie.. but the guy was really nice and explained that well, if they gave me a ticket, I was gonna have to go to court in Samana to pay it and so

ONLY for my convenience, he would make it easier for me if I wanted to settle up then and there with him

I handed him the money.. don't remember how much.. perhaps 200 pesos

and actually sorta admired the scam

so obvious...

Aug 21, 2007
They were shaking down again today on the main road between Cabarete and Sosua- around Ocean Village. Luckily, they waved me by- along with the motor scooter in front of me with a driver, three young children and a woman riding side saddle.

Hope they found what (or who) they were looking for!

Lindsey

Status
Not open for further replies.