Shark barrier in Sosua Bay?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ek4w2f.jpg

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
just wondering why you say that you are killing sharks Mike?

we need all the sharks we can get............and..........sharks do not attack people.....please everyone read up........they may make an inquisitive bite to see what you are.........but sharks do NOT attack living humans......

they hunt at dawn and dusk, or in rough cloudy waters....

if a shark did attack a human, there would be nothing left...........

it is the massive long lining that makes the impact on sharks, these are just disgusting. No need to go into detail as with a name like yours I am sure you are aware of long line ethics, or lack of.

May 29, 2006
Finning of shark for the Asian market has had a cascading impact on reef health, esp for hammerhead sharks.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
thats right, Peter.
it is very rare that swimmers or snorklers spot any kind of shark in the first place,
attacks on a pure swimmer(mean no speardiver who carries around fresh food o the belt or anglers who have a nice big breakfast helpless on a hook) are almost non existing.
for example the incident years back off Boca Chica, those divers been diving voluntarily in a well known shark alley, they knew whats present there in numbers, most likely the been diving there for exactly that, to dive with those sharks.
we do such here in punta cana, too, it is one of the most exiting sports activities to do, incomparable to anything else, and everybody knows the very low but existing risk that something could go wrong one day with the Predators feeding on human bait then. the Trigger could be small simple stuff.
Sharks are not of any concern for any swimmer at a beach of any of our 3 caribbean island coastlines.
but to say that's because there are no sharks, would be completely wrong, a lie.
we have Macos, Tigers, many different reef sharks and all 3 kinds of Hammerheads(running in very big packs) within eyeshot distance to most of our beaches.

Mike

Can you send me details of the diving with sharks in PC Mike?
I need to try that.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
it is not offered as a guided tour or such.
you need your own group of divemasters/instructors and your boat, a private ride.
in case you are not a instructor yourself with the appropriate knowledge about the underwaterworld off Cabo Enga?o,
drop me a PM and i give you the contact of a friend, a german master instructor, he can organize and guide your private tour for you.
but be aware that we are talking about a dive that requires from your side high experience and will cost a bunch of bucks.
your dive instructor/guide, the charter of a equipped boat etc will be just for you, under 1K nobody brings you on a equipped vessel out there.

Mike

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
it is not offered as a guided tour or such.
you need your own group of divemasters/instructors and your boat, a private ride.
in case you are not a instructor yourself with the appropriate knowledge about the underwaterworld off Cabo Enga?o,
drop me a PM and i give you the contact of a friend, a german master instructor, he can organize and guide your private tour for you.
but be aware that we are talking about a dive that requires from your side high experience and will cost a bunch of bucks.
your dive instructor/guide, the charter of a equipped boat etc will be just for you, under 1K nobody brings you on a equipped vessel out there.

Mike

Too rich for me..

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
And in other (shark) news, the Sos?a Sharks are poised to make it into the finals!

09-08_sharks.jpg

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Someone had mentioned the International Shark Attack file, and also that many attacks go unreported. The Florida Museum of Ichthyology is home to the ISAF and where attacks can be reported. They have a questionnaire available in English, Spanish, French and Portuguese that is emailed to a man named George Burgess. He usually appears in documentaries and talks about his knowledge of attacks based on a number of factors. Link below.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/isaf/questionintro.htm